ADVERTISEMENT

Giving BF some credit

Not being a coach I don’t pretend to have every answer. I only know that changes to how cut blocks are officiated has changed over the years - Kirk usually brings this up at least once per season when someone gets penalized. I believe he thinks the rules changes ask too much of officials in the moment, but I also wonder if changes to the blocking schemes should happen as well to compensate. Also, it seems fairly clear that opponents have more and more effectively been attacking the line of scrimmage against us, especially on stretch plays that are the foundation of the zone blocking scheme. Again, if Iowa has attempted to adjust to this, it hasn’t been effective at doing so.
He does think that officials struggle with the call (and he's right) and Iowa does coach to the new rules. The issues with the oline have been in execution, not technique. When Iowa does execute, the outcome is usually pretty good. It just didn't happen regularly.
I think we can both agree that the main problem this year was pass protection. That's not a zone issue, it's an execution issue.

He does think that officials struggle with the call (and he's right) and Iowa does coach to the new rules. The issues with the oline have been in execution, not technique. When Iowa does execute, the outcome is usually pretty good. It just didn't happen regularly.
I think we can both agree that the main problem this year was pass protection. That's not a zone issue, it's an execution issue.

I guess I’m not sure this is an either/or argument. Obviously execution has been a problem; we haven’t run or pass blocked well, consistently the last two years especially. But we haven’t run well against teams that use odd man fronts, the stretch play hasn’t been as effective as it used to be, and that comes down to coaching as well.

What have Wisconsin and Iowa state done in their odd man fronts and how they use their linebackers that we haven’t seemingly made consistent adjustments to that work. For our offensive rankings to be where they’ve been for years now tells me it’s not just executing that’s the problem.

It’s at every level of the offense that changes are needed.

Is that the same Kirk that has won so many Games? If I hadn’t been challenged to look I wouldn’t have none he now has a higher winning percentage at Iowa than Hayden.
Kirk is the problem with the offensive idiocy, period.
Surely you know this.
You aren't giving a pass on this offense are you?
Come on CM.
You enjoy watching this shit show offense year after year and think it's all good?
He's a great coach, how great could he be if he would let someone competant run it and leave them alone?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT