ADVERTISEMENT

Glazier

davenporter

HR MVP
Jul 13, 2006
Anyone know how he is looking in practice? Any chance we see him in the next year or two challenge warner for 197? Just dont hear much about him. Thanks

Reactions: IRONBIRD
He has looked good at the opens that he has wrestled in..If he plans on going 197 will need to add some more weight and muscle up some more which I think he is working on as he red shirts this year .

Reactions: funnyfletcher
I hope Glazier makes that jump before next season and pushes Warner for that spot. Warner needs to be pressured and show some mental toughness.

At this point... you never know which Warner you're going to see. I'm hoping Glazier is good enough to grab the weight.

I know Warner blew it last night but really don't see Glazier beating him anytime soon.
He looked close to brucki - definitely think he would have to make a leap after redshirt year. But we expect everyone to make that leap right?

Reactions: wasdt21
Teammates lose to each other all the time so nobody should be surprised if Glazier were to beat him next year in a match. Doesn’t mean he’s the better option.

Warner's issue, like Wilcke's, is mental. The difference is that Warner has the talent to overcome it. Unlike Wilcke, he has already placed at NCAAs, and he is regularly beating top-8 guys. He just seems mentally soft, and you never know when it's going to manifest itself. I think (and hope) as his talent "gels," his brain farts will result in losing a TD in the 3rd period when he's already ahead by 6 rather than when he's tied or ahead by one. Put my boy Perry on the project.

In the match against Brucki he looked good but lacked the horsepower to win. Hopefully by next year he has the size and strength to win and if so I definitely think he make a legitimate challenge for the spot.

Warner's issue, like Wilcke's, is mental. The difference is that Warner has the talent to overcome it. Unlike Wilcke, he has already placed at NCAAs, and he is regularly beating top-8 guys. He just seems mentally soft, and you never know when it's going to manifest itself. I think (and hope) as his talent "gels," his brain farts will result in losing a TD in the 3rd period when he's already ahead by 6 rather than when he's tied or ahead by one. Put my boy Perry on the project.
And Sammy Brooks. He did not like close matches.

Hope you're right. It's not that crazy. Warner can beat anybody, and Moore, good as he is, has never had an undefeated season.
Warner wrestles to the level of his competition. I don't think he beats Moore, but I wouldn't be shocked if that's a 1-2 point match.

You're spot on in regards to his mentality issues. He's very afraid of making a mistake out there. He can really move people when he gets his snaps going, but he doesn't look confident in his ability to finish once he gets to legs. He reminds me a bit of Murin last year in that regard. He also needs to add a right side attack. Opponents are keying on his knee pull and he hasn't shown anything consistent to the other side to keep them honest. In his redshirt year and at times last year, he showed a nice snatch single and low double. He needs to bring those back, if for no other reason than to open up his knee pull. I'd also like to see him use those underhooks to get to legs. He just seems content to take people to the edge with them.

A big thing I've noticed with him is the difference in mentality when he's favored vs. when he's the underdog. When he's the favorite (like last night), he wrestles afraid to lose, like he has a ton of pressure on him. When he's the underdog he comes out much looser and scraps harder. Compare his two Brucki matches. In the first one he came out and battled. In the second, when he was the favorite, he looked tight and nervous. I think he puts way too much pressure on himself. The Moore match is a great opportunity to go out and let it fly in a situation where nobody expects you to win.

I can usually tell early in a match whether Warner is feeling it or not, vs nebby was a not.

I've been impressed with what glazier has been doing this year. He has some good potential. Nice low level attacks for a big weight and good on the mat too.

Not a fan of Warner simply because of my observations of his wrestling room habits and I'll leave it at that!
Some of you have talked about his mental ability and his wrestling to others ability or ranking, well that's part if it and it needs to change.
So 3 years in the program and no muscle improvement, looks like a junior In hs and if he wants to win those matches and confidence to do so he needs muscle and better conditioning. Both will give him some confidence between the ears, plus he needs more work on attacks.
As far as Glazier I hope he does go 197, hes in my opinion going to give Warner a real challenge and wouldn't surprise me if he wins it. Glazier like Assad has made great strides and works really hard, hes got that hunger.

Glazier beating out Warner would be a good thing. Means our recruiting is getting better.
Not sure that's the case here, sort of. Warner was the #1 195 lber and #8 overall. That's a blue chipper. That could also mean Warner gets a pretty good scholarship allotment. You want those guys to be pushed for sure, but you recruit them thinking you've just solidified that weight for the next 4-5 years as far as a starter goes and plan for other areas and depth accordingly.

Glazier is a solid recruit and hope he and all our recruits push everyone around them to be better for whomever starts, and if they knock off a blue chipper in the process, then so be it I guess. But then that gets back to you "missed" on the blue chipper and whatever dollars and plans go along with that. It's a domino effect essentially.

All that said, Warner was an All-American as a RS Freshman at a Big Boy weight (7th). That's not bad. That puts him on pace to be a 4 Time All-American, that's not bad either. He didn't fold his tent and give up, he came back and got 7th. That's a good thing.

Now I get the head scratching over some of his results, and we have others who are relentless and that puts pressure on others to duplicate that if they can, and a natural progression to get better as he moves along. He's a bit up and down for sure, but he's not losing to chumps either, IMO.

We need him to up his game as the season moves along, and I hope he's able to do that. Abe Assad getting the green light has put everyone on notice, perform to the Coaching Staffs expectations or risk losing your starting spot. Warner should know this, but I don't expect him to lose his spot, certainly not this year, I expect him to up his game, if he can. We shall see.

That would be pretty sweet but I feel like at 197 there’s Moore......and then there’s just everybody else. Hope I’m wrong.
Watched Moore's multiple losses to Nickal and Colonel. Nickal beat him by being faster and slicker. Colonel beat him by being stronger and taking the fight to him. Both hard to replicate, but Moore can be beaten, and he can be caught and pinned.

That guy next week is probably Shakur Rasheed.
This is a brutal stretch for Warner. He needs to at least split these 2 matches to keep his confidence from bottoming out.
2 very bad match ups for Warner in my opinion. Moore is just better than him in all positions and Rasheed is a far better athlete than Jacob. Won't surprise me one bit if he loses both.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT