ADVERTISEMENT

Global Warming

volknut

HR All-American
Feb 6, 2017
Anyone care to discuss this "Green" initiative that causes GW...

Effects of Mining Lithium

Even though you will not be individually mining the lithium used in your batteries, you should still be aware of the environmental concerns of this process. The U.S Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) conducted a study on the materials and production of a lithium-ion battery. The study concluded that mining these chemicals can cause the following:

• resource depletion
  • global warming
  • ecological toxicity (Kaiser, 2013)
Some chemicals used in lithium-ion battery production are very rare and exist in tiny quantities. Rare metals are mined in China by passing bags of dirt through several acid baths, leaving behind the rare materials. “Those rare earths amounted to 0.2 percent of what gets pull out of the ground. The other 99.8 percent-now contaminated with toxic chemicals-is dumped back into the environment” (Wade, 2016). Overall, almost every stage of the lithium mining process can lead to harmful environmental effects.

https://u.osu.edu/2367group3/environmental-concerns/effects-of-mining-lithium/

Lithium (Li) is the lightest metal on Earth and is used in batteries to power various electrical and electronic goods including mobile phones and electric cars. As demand for lithium rises, the mining impacts are increasingly affecting communities where this harmful extraction takes place, jeopardising their access to water. Current levels of lithium collection in the EU are very low. In the case of batteries, this amounts to an estimated 5% of the lithium-ion batteries put on the European market. Most of the current lithium is either dumped in landfill or incinerated, contributing to Europe’s dependency on lithium supply. Unless the EU introduces mandatory collection and recycling targets for metals such as lithium, the current wasteful practices will continue, contributing to far-reaching negative environmental and social impacts. Demand for lithium is rising Lithium converts chemical energy into electrical energy very efficiently.1 Analysts project that rechargeable lithium-ion (Li-ion)2 batteries have the highest potential for future energy storage systems.3 Lithium is therefore in high demand, especially to power personal electronic goods like mobile phones, energy storage systems and (hybrid) electric vehicles.4 Accessible, high-quality lithium is largely concentrated in a few Andean countries, primarily Bolivia and Chile (although Bolivia is not yet exporting its lithium resources on an industrial scale).

Certain analysts believe that demand for lithium is likely to rise dramatically, due to the manufacturing and marketing of new electronic devices such as mobile phones and laptops.6 Demand has already risen sharply: lithium use in rechargeable batteries increased from 0% of the market share in 1991 to 80% in 2007. The European Commission has stated that the tonnage of lithium used in portable batteries could increase ten-fold between 2010 and 2020.7 Another key factor will be the use of lithium in large electric vehicle batteries. Large, lightweight lithium-ion batteries for new electric vehicles8 are set to be launched by over a dozen automobile manufacturers, including Mercedes Benz, BMW, Audi and Volkswagen by the end of 2013.9 Toyota, Mitsubishi and others10 have expressed concerns that consumer demand may overtake supply by 2020. In January 2010, Toyota’s subsidiary company Toyota Tsusho and Australian lithium mining company Orocobre Ltd announced a joint venture to develop the Olaroz Argentine Lithium-Potash lithium mining project, to secure access to lithium deposits.11 As acknowledged by the European Commission: “[The] deployment of 'green' vehicles reduces the use of fossil fuels but increases the demand for electricity and certain raw materials, some of which are subject to supply restrictions and concentrated in a few geographical areas (e.g. rare earth elements for electronic components and fuel cells, lithium for batteries).” 12 Lithium mining impacts Lithium is found in the brine of salt flats. Holes are drilled into the salt flats and the brine is pumped to the surface, leaving it to evaporate in ponds. This allows lithium carbonate to be extracted through a chemical process. The extraction of lithium has significant environmental and social impacts, especially due to water pollution and depletion. In addition, toxic chemicals are needed to process lithium. The release of such chemicals through leaching, spills or air emissions can harm communities, ecosystems and food production. Moreover, lithium extraction inevitably harms the soil and also causes air contamination.13 The salt flats where lithium is found are located in arid territories. In these places, access to water is key for the local communities and their livelihoods, as well as the local flora and fauna. In Chile’s Atacama salt flats, mining consumes, contaminates and diverts scarce water resources away from local communities.14 The extraction of lithium has caused water-related conflicts with different communities, such as the community of Toconao in the north of Chile15. In Argentina’s Salar de Hombre Muerto, local communities claim that lithium operations have contaminated streams used for humans, livestock and crop irrigation.16 There has been widespread speculation about whether Bolivia could become a lithium superpower, possibly overtaking Chile, by unlocking its massive resources, which may exceed 100m tonnes in its salt flats.17 Lithium exploration and investment is also taking place outside the Andean region. The American Nova mining corporation, for example, is moving ahead with the purchase of licensing agreements for lithium mining properties in Mongolia, in response to the current boom in sales of electronic goods.18 Bolivia has, so far, resisted large-scale industrial mining of lithium, although it has plans to build a pilot project as a precursor to the possible development of a lithium mining industry in the future.19 However, the lithium-rich Salar de Uyuni is near to the San Cristóbal Mine, which, since it opened in 2007, has caused an “environmental and social disaster that affects all of Southwest Potosí” including through the use of 50,000 litres of water per day.20

https://www.foeeurope.org/sites/default/files/publications/13_factsheet-lithium-gb.pdf

Protip: No one wants to engage with a moron who claims "lithium causes AGW"...
Yeah, all the moron's listed in the references.

Protip: do you your homework, you deflection is showing your ignorance.

It's not your thread topic. It's you.
Ah, can't stand it when your fallacy of GW is better with electric cars is proven a farce.

The good thing is your all's silence speaks volumes to your misguided beliefs.

Uh. No.

Your post is indicating that things like MINING and EXTRACTION cause environmental damages.

That part is TRUE.

The DIFFERENCE is when you mine and extract fossil fuels - those PRODUCTS DIRECTLY CAUSE greenhouse gas emissions.

LITHIUM DOES NOT.

That you are incapable of understanding that is why it's a waste of time trying to engage you in discussion.

Lithium in batteries is RECYCLABLE and REUSABLE. Fossil fuels are NOT.

Uh. No.

Your post is indicating that things like MINING and EXTRACTION cause environmental damages.

That part is TRUE.

The DIFFERENCE is when you mine and extract fossil fuels - those PRODUCTS DIRECTLY CAUSE greenhouse gas emissions.

LITHIUM DOES NOT.

That you are incapable of understanding that is why it's a waste of time trying to engage you in discussion.

Lithium in batteries is RECYCLABLE and REUSABLE. Fossil fuels are NOT.
Okay, I will just accept that you didn't read the article.

Speaking of being incapable of understanding, your insinuation that fossil fuels are not recyclable... WOW, just WOW!!! HAHAHAHA

Speaking of being incapable of understanding, your insinuation that fossil fuels are not recyclable... WOW, just WOW!!! HAHAHAHA

Jeebus, you are one dumb f***er....

I addressed the main points of your link: extraction in mining is environmentally bad. We know that. But when you extract something that DOES NOT directly contribute to AGW, that's better than extracting something that DOES.

You're simply too stupid to understand this.

So, keep trolling and see how long your account lasts...

Your opening statement was that mining lithium causes AGW. I'm not sure you read your own article.

I clicked on your "references". Here's what I got:

Error 404: Not found
and
a WIRED link, where "global warming" isn't mentioned ANYWHERE....

Kaiser, T. (2013, June 3). Study: Lithium-Ion Batteries Can Impact Environment, Health Negatively. Retrieved April 8, 2016, from http://www.dailytech.com/Study LithiumIon Batteries Can Impact Environment Health Negatively/ article31678.htm

Wade, L. (n.d.). Tesla’s Electric Cars Aren’t as Green as You Might Think. Retrieved April 8, 2016, from http://www.wired.com/2016/03/teslas-electric-cars-might-not-green-think/

Your opening statement was that mining lithium causes AGW. I'm not sure you read your own article.
Did you read the article? Here is the first part of the linked article I put there:

Even though you will not be individually mining the lithium used in your batteries, you should still be aware of the environmental concerns of this process. The U.S Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) conducted a study on the materials and production of a lithium-ion battery. The study concluded that mining these chemicals can cause the following:

• resource depletion
  • global warming

Did you read the article? Here is the first part of the linked article I put there:

• resource depletion
  • global warming

Yes, and AS I JUST POSTED, NEITHER REFERENCE SUPPORTS THAT.

• resource depletion
  • global warming

Gotcha. I just didn't see it in the body of the text.

Nope. He's pretty goddamned stupid.

But just watch....he'll double down on it....:cool:
Ah Joey is triggered!

Some chemicals used in lithium-ion battery production are very rare and exist in tiny quantities. Rare metals are mined in China by passing bags of dirt through several acid baths, leaving behind the rare materials. “Those rare earths amounted to 0.2 percent of what gets pull out of the ground. The other 99.8 percent-now contaminated with toxic chemicals-is dumped back into the environment” (Wade, 2016). Overall, almost every stage of the lithium mining process can lead to harmful environmental effects.

One of the environmental effects is GW.

Ah Joey is triggered!

One of the environmental effects is GW.

Yes....I've explained this 3 TIMES now. Extraction uses fossil fuels and burning those fossil fuels DOES contribute to GW.

But here, the actual PRODUCT does NOT. Is this too complex for you? That 'recharging a battery' does NOT produce greenhouse gases (when the energy source is RENEWABLE).....

Maybe "motor oil" is fuel in Asshat's s***tty car, that burns a couple quarts every 500-1000 miles....that MIGHT explain the confusion here.....
What is motor oil derived from? Is it Petroleum (that fossil fuel thing)?

Where in the hell did OP learn to use the English language?

220px-Damn._Kendrick_Lamar.jpg

That is not recycling. That is producing a different product from the same raw material. One time.
It is derived from petroleum (fossil fuel) and is recycled after use as motor oil.

I now understand why no one responded. Thanks for your time gentlemen, have a great evening.

It is derived from petroleum (fossil fuel) and is recycled after use as motor oil.

I now understand why no one responded. Thanks for your time gentlemen, have a great evening.

LOL! Lots of people are responding, you just keep tap-dancing and pretending to not know the definition of words like "fuel" or "recycle."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT