ADVERTISEMENT

"Go Hawks" greeting.

seam

HB All-American
Gold Member
Jun 16, 2002
I very seldom wear any Hawkeye gear when I am out and about in Minnesota, because I try to avoid the profane or negative responses. However, today I was wearing my black Hawkeye jacket with a Tiger Hawk on the front as I was grocery shopping at Jerry's in Edina. A woman approaching me called out "Go Hawks". We both stopped and I asked her if she is a Hawkeye fan. She said yes, so I asked her how that happened. Her daughter just graduated from U of I this past spring with a degree in sports management. Her son graduated two years prior to that. So, this woman and her husband have spent parts of the last 6 years in Iowa City. The story became more interesting when she said she and her husband met at the UW Madison, eventually married, and then moved to her husband's hometown, Edina. Both of their children tried to get into UW Madison, but neither of them were accepted (maybe the UW quota for Edina's cake eaters had been met?). So, the kids then chose the U of Iowa. The kids loved the U of I!! However, Mom and Dad loved Iowa City way more than they liked Madison! They said Iowa City was much cleaner and much more friendly than Madison! The parents already miss their trips to Iowa City.
So, the mom asks me if I still follow the Hawkeye sports scene, to which I said yes. She asked if the name Laura VandeBerg was familiar. Yes again. Her daughter interned with Laura and served as her personal assistant part of her senior year! She said Laura was wonderful to work with. The daughter now is employed by the Miami Dolphins in an entry level management position.
It was a great conversation about some of the positive attributes of the U of I and Iowa City.
I just wanted to share a positive interaction out of the great state of Minnesota. I don't experience them very often! Go Hawks!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News