ADVERTISEMENT

"Go Hawks" sitting next to Nebraska at a KC BBQ

cidsports

HB King
My mother in-law is a native of Kansas City. She is at the Aunt Edna stage, well, not quite, but then, again. lol

Meet her husband there back in late 1950's, who was an Iowa native in the Navy. My late father in-law's brother, went to U of I for med school, after undergrad at my alma mater, Creighton.

Wife and I are enjoying a Kansas City family gathering. Two from Omaha. Two from Virginia.

Sister in-law has her Nebraska shirt on last night. She never attended the school, but unlike my wife, she has "Go Big Red" syndrome from her childhood days growing up in Omaha.

One of the restaurant staff stopped by to ask, if from Nebraska? She has lived in Chesapeake, VA for over 30 years, but proudly shared her gbr tribalism.

While waiting for food, got up to catch a breath of fresh air. Driving from CID to KC, a little stiff, post pandemic.

A little out of practice driving out of state. Was in Indianapolis early this year, but stayed around the 319 for most of the pandemic 2020-21.

Next table over was group from Lincoln. Manager shared the KC BBQ place is planning a location in Omaha soon.

Good for Omaha. It is a good restaurant City. Didn't get to the College World Series at all this year, but noticed a shirt.

Restaurant manager gave Iowans props for dining there. And, it was nice to see an Iowa shirt, as I took time to stretch.

"Go Hawks"

It felt good to say. How many weeks out are we now?

Eleven or so?

Iowa hosting Indiana on September 4th. Seeking that 2-0 in 2021, with visions of 1981 and KF's first golden season.

Iowa was 1-1 back in 1981, but did get two wins in first three games vs. Top 20 competition, Nebraska and UCLA.

Good times back in Kinnick Stadium. One of the best, golden times.

The Athletic just started a great series on 100 NFL celebration. Jim Otto was 100. Ditka was 96. Pandemic likely impacted some of that celebration back in 20/20.

Hope everyone is having a good summer so far. On Iowa!

My Top 4 Hawkeyes
  • Andre Tippett, 1981
  • Larry Station, 1985
  • Bob Sanders, 2002
  • Let's hope someone emerges to be added to list in 2021
Final answer

Cheers ❤

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News