ADVERTISEMENT

Going to Pot. why the rush to legalize marijuana is harming America

Arbitr8

HR Legend
May 13, 2009
Lewis Township
"The legalization advocates are winning the debate," added White, a former assistant U.S. attorney for the District of New Jersey. "They are organized and well-funded. And they are winning because the public is not informed of the harms of marijuana."

White said misinformation was part of the problem. He pointed to the fact marijuana is stronger today than in the 1970s. "Tetrahydrocannabinol, the psychoactive drug in marijuana, has risen from 5 percent to an average of 13 percent as a part of marijuana. In some medical dispensaries in Colorado, it now makes upwards of 30 percent of the drug," White said.

Bennett interjected, "This isn't your grandfather's pot."

White went on to list some of the negative effects of marijuana on users, noting that it suppresses the dopamine receptors in your brain, won't wear off like beer or alcohol, and causes a drop in your IQ if used for an extended period of time. "In addition to a lowered IQ, those with a family history of mental disorders are two to five times more likely to develop mental disorders," he added.

White said marijuana also increases the chance of a heart attack by the user.

Colorado was supposed to eliminate the marijuana black market, but it did not."

The impact on children caused both authors' concern. White said states that have legalized the drug experience a much higher rate of usage: "9.4 percent of children have used marijuana in states that have legalized medical marijuana, whereas the average in non-medical marijuana states is at 6.7 percent."

Citing findings from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's 2013 National Survey of Drug Use and Health, White said the numbers are even more stark in Colorado. There, 10.2 percent of 12-17-year-olds have used the drug.

"In the 18-25 range, which are critical years for brain development, nationally, 18.78 percent of the age group have used in the past month, while in Colorado it stands at 27.26 percent," White added.

Why do you think they call it dope!

causes a drop in your IQ

You know the financial model in this country - "never let public health concerns get in the way of making some big bucks;" whether it be coal mining, growing tobacco, converting deserts into orchards out west, high fructose corn syrup, glyphosate herbicide, anhydrous ammonia, fracking, Chantix, etc..

Don't get me wrong, I'm no tree hugger. I'm a skeptic.

Originally posted by Pepperman:
I wish I could buy a joint and legally smoke it. It isn't any worse than getting drunk. Actually, it might be better, you don't get a hangover.
Actually it is much worse, the medical side effects are numerous and dangerous.

Originally posted by Arbitr8:
I wish I could buy a joint and legally smoke it. It isn't any worse than getting drunk. Actually, it might be better, you don't get a hangover.
Ok, maybe they are. I don't know really and it seems like you can find anybody to tell you both sides of it if you look hard enough for the stories... I smoked some in college (probably twice a week by my senior year) and I think maybe two times since, but it's been at least 10 years. I know I liked the high and would love to be able to buy some legally. I can't take the risks of doing it illegally at this point in my life though.

My guess is that the legalization advocates are not nearly as funded as say, the prison industrial complex, who cannot jail enough people. My bet is White is on the take from them.

This is really a freedom issue and nothing more. Some do gooder does not have the right to tell another what they may or may not inject into their body. Once you allow them that, then they may tell you what you may feed your brain by what books you may read.

Another harm from jailing people who like to fire up a fatty is incarcerating them with more hardened thugs. When they come out into society, they are worse than when they went in. Jail is a trade school for crooks.

How much pot would you have to have to go to jail? I mean, beyond maybe one or two days of "time"... I'd think it would be almost impossible to get busted with some personal weed (like even up to an ounce) and face jail time over it. Maybe I'm off with that sense, I don't know much about drug laws since I don't mess around with drugs.

Re: Going to Pot. why the rush to legalize marijuana is harming Ameri

How much pot would you have to have to go to jail?  I mean, beyond maybe one or two days of "time"... I'd think it would be almost impossible to get busted with some personal weed (like even up to an ounce) and face jail time over it.  Maybe I'm off with that sense, I don't know much about drug laws since I don't mess around with drugs.

In Iowa (unless it's changed recently), they arrest you and take you to jail like a criminal, regardless of what you have.

A rather fidgety friend had this happen and it literally turned his life upside down for awhile. Stupid law is stupid.

Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by KennyPowers_96:

How much pot would you have to have to go to jail? I mean, beyond maybe one or two days of "time"... I'd think it would be almost impossible to get busted with some personal weed (like even up to an ounce) and face jail time over it. Maybe I'm off with that sense, I don't know much about drug laws since I don't mess around with drugs.

In Iowa (unless it's changed recently), they arrest you and take you to jail like the criminal you are, regardless of what you have.

A rather fidgety friend of mine with criminal tendencies had this happen and it literally turned his shitty life upside down for awhile. Stupid people break the law.

FIFY

So we are to the point where we just follow the laws we like the others are shitty so we break them.

Did your friend think for 1 minute that the drug dealer he buys his weed from uses that money to buy more powerful drugs like coke, meth, etc and he sells it to junior and senior high kids who end up losing a lot more than the little self esteem your friend lost.

Drug dealers are drug dealers oh you can sugarcoat it all you want thinking it's just a little weed but you have no idea where that 100 bucks your friend paid actually goes and what it ultimately helps support.

Reactions: Run&Blade

So we are to the point where we just follow the laws we like the others are shitty so we break them.

Did your friend think for 1 minute that the drug dealer he buys his weed from uses that money to buy more powerful drugs like coke, meth, etc and he sells it to junior and senior high kids who end up losing a lot more than the little self esteem your friend lost.

Drug dealers are drug dealers oh you can sugarcoat it all you want thinking it's just a little weed but you have no idea where that 100 bucks your friend paid actually goes and what it ultimately helps support.

You are making a great argument in this post for the legalization of marijuana.

Originally posted by TNK85:

Did your friend think for 1 minute that the drug dealer he buys his weed from uses that money to buy more powerful drugs like coke, meth, etc and he sells it to junior and senior high kids who end up losing a lot more than the little self esteem your friend lost.

I'd prefer it be licensed and legal. I'd think a government with any common sense would prefer the same. Arb just likes black market violence that helps feed his one trick pony posting style.

Reactions: unIowa

The legalization of dope in Colorado did not stop the black market for said drug.

Did your friend think for 1 minute that the drug dealer he buys his weed from uses that money to buy more powerful drugs like coke, meth, etc and he sells it to junior and senior high kids who end up losing a lot more than the little self esteem your friend lost.

The legalization of dope in Colorado did not stop the black market for said drug.

Since you no nothing about how it really works, I'll forgive you for being wrong again.

Black market pot prices were cut in half at least and more in some areas. Tie that with the fact that many not buying from shops are actually growing (legally and safely)1-2 plants at home.

You know how to remove most of a problem? Remove the funding, thus removing profits. However, if you think all black markets for anything will be removed completely, than there is no hope for you.

Stop back any time you feel like having your ass handed to you on this subject..

Link please, as I have way too much going for me in life than to become an advocate for the legalization of a gateway drug.

Link please?

White said states that have legalized the drug experience a much higher rate of usage: "9.4 percent of children have used marijuana in states that have legalized medical marijuana, whereas the average in non-medical marijuana states is at 6.7 percent."

Pot use among Colorado teens is now lower than the national average according to a recent survey by Healthy Kids for Colorado.

Colorado does not have a "Black Market" for pot. A lot of other states do however.

I think Mr. White is making crap up.

Originally posted by moxyfruvous:
White said states that have legalized the drug experience a much higher rate of usage: "9.4 percent of children have used marijuana in states that have legalized medical marijuana, whereas the average in non-medical marijuana states is at 6.7 percent."

Pot use among Colorado teens is now lower than the national average according to a recent survey by Healthy Kids for Colorado.

Colorado does not have a "Black Market" for pot. A lot of other states do however.

Thats interesting. I sure would expect that legalizing most anything fun would make its consumption go up. That seems counter intuitive that use would go down.

Reactions: Fan In Black

Link please? The statistics are not available because of people like you who would prefer to keep the black market live and well. Link on stats for the success rate and cost of you and Nancy's abstinence program?

Like people in the lounge, I'll stick with "sources" and their input and you can believe what you want based on your complete lack of touch with reality.

Any others can decide which of us makes more sense, if either makes any sense at all.

Translation = He just pulls crap out of his a--.

Link please? The statistics are not available because of people like you who would prefer to keep the black market live and well. Link on stats for the success rate and cost of you and Nancy's abstinence program?

Like people in the lounge, I'll stick with "sources" and their input and you can believe what you want based on your complete lack of touch with reality.

Any others can decide which of us makes more sense, if either makes any sense at all.

Translation = He just pulls crap out of his a--.

Good point, you clearly have more knowledge of the marijuana black market in Colorado, given your statement that it "did not stop the black market" in the state.

Please provide current statistics showing the amount of marijuana traded on the black market in 2012, 2013 and 2014 vs 2011, 2010, etc. You obviously must have that information to know for sure that the black market even exists at all. By "current", I mean published after 1/1/15.

Also, provide current proof of the "Gateway drug" aspect and direct link from Marijuana to harder drugs. Not reefer madness propaganda, I mean direct link of hard drug usage caused directly from the use of Marijuana (and only marijuana) with the absence of any other stimulants (alcohol, caffeine, etc) in the subject.

Finally, it's good to have you back around here and if it were up to me you would have never been banned. I welcome being accused of talking out my ass, from a guy that was banned for making a living doing just that. This, to me, is what makes HROT so great.

I quoted the article, you brought nothing but your biased opinion, obviously you enjoy reefer so you argue with an experts article.

Only on HROT.

Good point, you clearly have more knowledge of the marijuana black market in Colorado, given your statement that it "did not stop the black market" in the state.

Please provide current statistics showing the amount of marijuana traded on the black market in 2012, 2013 and 2014 vs 2011, 2010, etc. You obviously must have that information to know for sure that the black market even exists at all. By "current", I mean published after 1/1/15.

Also, provide current proof of the "Gateway drug" aspect and direct link from Marijuana to harder drugs. Not reefer madness propaganda, I mean direct link of hard drug usage caused directly from the use of Marijuana (and only marijuana) with the absence of any other stimulants (alcohol, caffeine, etc) in the subject.

Finally, it's good to have you back around here and if it were up to me you would have never been banned. I welcome being accused of talking out my ass, from a guy that was banned for making a living doing just that. This, to me, is what makes HROT so great.

I'm not going to argue all of your points because I agree with them. I will say though that the 'gateway drug' effect is very true in my own experience. I seriously doubt I would have been up to try some of the harder drugs I experimented with back in the day, had I not smoked weed first. I'm not saying that I did any of those even close to as much as weed, or even that much at all.

I will say though that it got me comfortable enough with experimenting to want and see what others were like. Easily the least harmless of the bunch weed is, and it's a lot less dangerous than alcohol. I don't meet too many people who claim to have tried coke or acid, before they had tried anything else. Could you imagine doing acid without first having smoked some weed? It would make you have a bad trip for sure. Speaking of Im going to start another thread, based on this discussion.

Originally posted by naturalmwa:

Originally posted by moxyfruvous:

Thats interesting. I sure would expect that legalizing most anything fun would make its consumption go up. That seems counter intuitive that use would go down.
Perhaps the legalization has forced parents to pay more attention to their kids and not rely on laws to do their parenting for them? Or at least make them 'believe' it being illegal will automatically make their kids safe from drugs? Just a brilliant thought.

A lot of things in life are bad for us.
Should we ban unhealthy food? Fatties are dying every day thanks to that.

I'd rather see the money spent on pot help fund our tax base instead of Mexican cartels.
Cartels with the billions made off dope are much more dangerous than the consiquences of legal pot.

Originally posted by Aegon_Targaryen:

I'm not going to argue all of your points because I agree with them. I will say though that the 'gateway drug' effect is very true in my own experience. I seriously doubt I would have been up to try some of the harder drugs I experimented with back in the day, had I not smoked weed first. I'm not saying that I did any of those even close to as much as weed, or even that much at all.

I will say though that it got me comfortable enough with experimenting to want and see what others were like. Easily the least harmless of the bunch weed is, and it's a lot less dangerous than alcohol. I don't meet too many people who claim to have tried coke or acid, before they had tried anything else. Could you imagine doing acid without first having smoked some weed? It would make you have a bad trip for sure. Speaking of Im going to start another thread, based on this discussion.
and our resident "libertarian" speaks up.

Really? Okay, then I'll tell you what. Smoke enough weed at least once a day, enough to get nice and high, again only once though. Do this everyday for a week straight.

Then go ahead and drink enough alcohol to get nice and drunk once a day and also for a week straight. Not just a few drinks, enough to actually get drunk. Since just a few puffs of the weed can get you high, you must also drink enough to feel the full effects of being drunk.

During this you must not do anything else different in your life. Such as, you can't take ibuprofen for the headaches you'll get from drinking alcohol. You must simply do both, and deal with the FULL consequences of both. You are allowed to do each one after work of course. Since I wouldn't want you to get into trouble. I can though tell you that if I was forced to do either, there's only one I'd pick. That would be the one that would wear off in a couple of hours, and not impair me for pretty much the entire day. Including an almost complete inability to work around it or hide it.

I have a pretty good and educated idea as to which one is going to be more dangeorus and medically harmful during this one little week....

I'll give you a clue. One of them is going to make you gain at least a couple of lbs on it very own, increase your blood pressure, cause your liver harm, leave you with a hangover(every single time), seriously dehydrate you, possibly leave you in a depression state, destroy your bodies ability to breakdown protein and destroy many more brain cells than the other will.

I'll give you another clue,....it's not going to be the one that you would help you win your argument. It's going to be the other one.

No need to provide a link to you...try it and prove wrong.

I can't argue with this level of stupidity and really hope you're trolling

Reactions: Fan In Black
Originally posted by ParkerHawk:

Then do you support or believe the legalization of reefer should be put to a vote by the people of the state?

Originally posted by ParkerHawk:

I wish I could buy a joint and legally smoke it. It isn't any worse than getting drunk. Actually, it might be better, you don't get a hangover.
Then do you support or believe the legalization of reefer should be put to a vote by the people of the state?Â

Why do we need elected representatives if the public is needed to vote on this? Why this topic and not the speed limit or the amount state reps get paid or amount of taxes allowed?

So to hell with the will of the people, let the government be all powerful? How liberal of you!

Originally posted by FlickShagwell:

Link please, as I have way too much going for me in life than to become an advocate for the legalization of a gateway drug.
LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

You absolutely don't have "too much going for (you) in life" as you've clearly got enough time to sit there waiting for any sort of violent crime in Omaha to run here to report on.

Or maybe that is your life.
Omaha to LA = one hell hole to another.

ANY "drug" is a gateway drug. Caffeine, sugar, alcohol, you name it. Alcohol is the most lethal, and widely accepted, gateway drug. Human beings like to get high, drunk, stoned, loaded, mellow, up, down, etc., etc. Making drugs illegal only makes a great living for criminal sale, profit, trafficking. Then there's the illegal consumption, addiction, incarceration and so on. It's best to embrace the human desire to alter their mood and consciousness and try to regulate and tax it.

Turn on your TV and you'll see drug dealing commercials all day and night. Drug pushing is on a grand scale on tlevision. Get a prescription and get high or low. Marijuana, by comparison to alcohol and most prescription stimulants and sedatives is about as benign and safe as you can get. You can't overdose on it or get addicted, and you don't experience life-threatening withdrawals from it.

Originally posted by strummingram:

ANY "drug" is a gateway drug. Caffeine, sugar, alcohol, you name it. Alcohol is the most lethal, and widely accepted, gateway drug. Human beings like to get high, drunk, stoned, loaded, mellow, up, down, etc., etc. Making drugs illegal only makes a great living for criminal sale, profit, trafficking. Then there's the illegal consumption, addiction, incarceration and so on. It's best to embrace the human desire to alter their mood and consciousness and try to regulate and tax it.

Turn on your TV and you'll see drug dealing commercials all day and night. Drug pushing is on a grand scale on tlevision. Get a prescription and get high or low. Marijuana, by comparison to alcohol and most prescription stimulants and sedatives is about as benign and safe as you can get. You can't overdose on it or get addicted, and you don't experience life-threatening withdrawals from it.
Where did you get your medical degree from? Have you been published other than on a message board?

roll.r191677.gif

Where did you get your medical degree from? Have you been published other than on a message board?

roll.r191677.gif
Where did you get yours?

Another reason to end the insane War on Freedom err Drugs.

Bombshell Interview: Cop Reveals That "Planting Evidence And Lying" Are Just "Part Of The Game"
By John Vibes on February 19, 2015

Palm Beach County, Florida - Journalists at the DC Post were looking through message boards that are frequented by law enforcement officers, when they found a post where one officer was causally talking about planting evidence on "mouthy drivers" and "street lawyers."

The Post then contacted the officer and conducted an anonymous interview with him where he revealed his disturbing perspective.

The officer revealed the illegal and unethical actions that he is proud of taking on the job. The DC Post has also said that they have verified the officer's position with the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office, and they have verified many of the claims that he has made.

The original post was titled "Tricks of the trade - let's exchange!" and featured the following message:

"I have a method for getting people off the street that should not be there. Mouthy drivers, street lawyers, assholes and just anyone else trying to make my job difficult. Under my floor mat, I keep a small plastic dime baggie with Cocaine in residue. Since it's just residue, if it is ever found during a search of my car like during an inspection, it's easy enough to explain. It must have stuck to my foot while walking through San Castle. Anyways, no one's going to question an empty baggie. The residue is the key because you can fully charge some asshole with possession of cocaine, heroin, or whatever just with the residue. How to get it done? "I asked Mr. DOE for his identification. And he pulled out his wallet, I observed a small plastic baggie fall out of his pocket…" You get the idea. easy, right? Best part is, those baggies can be found lots of places so you can always be ready. Don't forget to wipe the baggie on the person's skin after you arrest them because you want their DNA on the bag if they say you planted it or fight it in court."
Other officers on the board responded by sharing similar stories about how they falsely arrest people who don't adequately bow to their authority.

Later in the interview, when the officer was asked if planting evidence happened regularly within his department, he responded by saying,

"Um, yes it does, on a regular basis. Probably every day in my shift. I work nights on the Road Patrol in a rough, um, mostly black neighborhood. Planting evidence and lying in your reports are just part of the game.

Then straight from the horses mouth, the officer said that this crooked behavior was actually encouraged by the drug war. Continuing his discussion about planting evidence, the officer said,

"Yes, all the time. It is something I see a lot of, whether it was from deputies, supervisors or undercovers and even investigators. It's almost like you have no emotion with it, that they attach the bodies to it, they're going to be out of jail tomorrow anyway; nothing is going to happen to them anyway. One of the consequences of the war on drugs is that police officers are pressured to make large numbers of arrests, and it's easy for some of the less honest cops to plant evidence on innocent people. The drug war inevitably leads to crooked policing - and quotas further incentivize such practices. It doesn't help that your higherups all did the same thing when they were on the road. It's like a neverending cycle. Like how molested children accept that as okay behavior and begin molesting children themselves."

Click link for balance

War on Freedom

roll.r191677.gif
It's actually the truth and why the "gateway" theory holds no water.

Gateway To Nowhere

Reactions: mnole03
I agree that many of the possibilities with MJ legalization have not been well thought out. However, States being States (and governments being corporate institutions) are all about the $$$$$ and they will do anything to increase their cut...especially if it means keeping state and local tax rates artificially low. That's how we got gambling here in Ioway. Terry saw a way to cut taxes for his friends and increase/maintain the State's revenue.
Let's call it what it is...It has nothing to do with "freedom" and a whole lot about $$$$$. Prostitution should be legalized, too.

How much pot would you have to have to go to jail? I mean, beyond maybe one or two days of "time"... I'd think it would be almost impossible to get busted with some personal weed (like even up to an ounce) and face jail time over it. Maybe I'm off with that sense, I don't know much about drug laws since I don't mess around with drugs.

As with everything ... it depends. In Iowa, first possession of marijuana is, technically, up to 6 months in jail and a fine up to $1,875, but rarely do people receive those extremes. (interestingly, ONLY marijuana gets that 6 month sentence, all other drugs are 1 year max)

Get the right cop? Citation. Wrong one, or most of them? Jail for the night

Iowa City used to have a diversion program under X amount of weed where one could complete a probation-type requirement. Many counties simply are up to the regular Judge, so the prosecutors know whether it is just a fine, or probation, or jail. Getting the wrong judge might equate to more jail .... which is f*ng absurd.

Has anyone (Arby) posted their thesis on the dangers of marijuana in here yet? I saw a couple times where he claimed it was dangerous, but not any support for it.

Because they over tax the drug to the point that buying legally is way more expensive than hitting up your dealer. Same thing happened in CA, politicians being greedy with their sin taxes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT