ADVERTISEMENT

Going to Pot. why the rush to legalize marijuana is harming America

So we are to the point where we just follow the laws we like the others are shitty so we break them.

Yeah, I think we covered most of the things that should be criminal a long time ago, and since then many of the laws are just creating crimes out of things that don't violate someone else's rights and inadvertently make society worse overall.

If you're asking me how much government I want, I would prefer a just society to a prohibitionist one.

“The prestige of government has undoubtedly been lowered considerably by the Prohibition law. For nothing is more destructive of respect for the government and the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be enforced. It is an open secret that the dangerous increase of crime in this country is closely connected with this.”

Reactions: unIowa
So we are to the point where we just follow the laws we like the others are shitty so we break them.

Did your friend think for 1 minute that the drug dealer he buys his weed from uses that money to buy more powerful drugs like coke, meth, etc and he sells it to junior and senior high kids who end up losing a lot more than the little self esteem your friend lost.

Drug dealers are drug dealers oh you can sugarcoat it all you want thinking it's just a little weed but you have no idea where that 100 bucks your friend paid actually goes and what it ultimately helps support.
You just made a great point as to why weed should be legal.

Haven't smoked in 20 years but I see no problem with weed. Lot of health benefits come from it as well. Keeps patients off the hard painkillers for one. Helps people with Cancer with nausea and getting their appetite back. Can help with kids that have seizures the list goes on and on.
I have many friends that smoke it. They have traveled to Illinois and unfortunately there is never any weed at the dispensaries so most of them have to get it sent to them from Colorado or California. I would agree that alcohol is much worse than weed. I've buried 3 friends in their early 40's because of alcohol, never heard of anyone dying from weed.

Re: Going to Pot. why the rush to legalize marijuana is harming Ameri

Link please, as I have way too much going for me in life than to become an advocate for the legalization of a gateway drug.

Link please?

I would have never thought that you were an alcohol prohibitionist, but here we are.

Properly used, most people don't have serious objections to pot anymore,... combine that with the tax revenue angle and it's simply a matter of time...

ANY "drug" is a gateway drug.
mothers-milk-leads.jpg

Thats interesting. I sure would expect that legalizing most anything fun would make its consumption go up. That seems counter intuitive that use would go down.
Not really. I was drawn to it as a teen because it was illegal. Cigarettes didn't have that appeal.

Re: Going to Pot. why the rush to legalize marijuana is harming Ameri

So to hell with the will of the people, let the government be all powerful? How liberal of you!
Um.......just like keeping Roe v Wade, a vast majority of Americans are for legalization. You couldn't be anymore clueless on this topic. Give it up and go after the legal opiod, tobacco, and booze producers who actually destroy lives

Last edited:
Reactions: Torg
Because they over tax the drug to the point that buying legally is way more expensive than hitting up your dealer. Same thing happened in CA, politicians being greedy with their sin taxes.
You are wrong. Have you bought any pot in Colorado from a dispensary?

You know the financial model in this country - "never let public health concerns get in the way of making some big bucks;" whether it be coal mining, growing tobacco, converting deserts into orchards out west, high fructose corn syrup, glyphosate herbicide, anhydrous ammonia, fracking, Chantix, etc..

Don't get me wrong, I'm no tree hugger. I'm a skeptic.

Pharma corps jacking up the prices of drugs, sick people not being able to afford to see a doctor seem to be two big missing pieces.

This is really a freedom issue and nothing more. Some do gooder does not have the right to tell another what they may or may not inject into their body. Once you allow them that, then they may tell you what you may feed your brain by what books you may read.

I disagree with that. Based on that statement there should be no prescription drugs there should just be drugs. Buy them all over the counter.

I can't support that because society often is left to clean up the messes of drug abusers.

To me we have to answer the question of benefits vs harm. Added freedom, recreation, medical benefits would all count. And from what I've seen the harm is no greater than alcohol. Less perhaps. I can support legalizing Marijuanna but only on the benefits vs harm side of thing. The ultra libertarian "I do what I want" motto is not a good enough reason. It operates on the myth of individualism that the harm a person does to themselves via doing something is visited only upon them and others outside of that process stay clean.

Another harm from jailing people who like to fire up a fatty is incarcerating them with more hardened thugs. When they come out into society, they are worse than when they went in. Jail is a trade school for crooks.

I would argue that even when it comes to more harmful drugs that are rightly illegal courts should only sentence users to time in a rehabilitation facility.

Properly used, most people don't have serious objections to pot anymore,... combine that with the tax revenue angle and it's simply a matter of time...

Funny how I look back at my replies to the thread 5 years ago... now I don’t care about a joint as I’ve found ways to buy oil cartridges and those are where it’s at. So easy, so discrete, and when purchased “officially” from a dispensary so safe too.

How does marijuana lead to heart attacks/disease? I'd love to read some actual research on that.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I don't know where you'd find the research, but my doctor told me there is evidence that using it while young is linked to higher rates of heart disease and impotence later in life.

I'd guess it's more related to the general lifestyle of potheads (junk food, partying and hanging out on the couch) than the pot itself.

"The legalization advocates are winning the debate," added White, a former assistant U.S. attorney for the District of New Jersey. "They are organized and well-funded. And they are winning because the public is not informed of the harms of marijuana."

White said misinformation was part of the problem. He pointed to the fact marijuana is stronger today than in the 1970s. "Tetrahydrocannabinol, the psychoactive drug in marijuana, has risen from 5 percent to an average of 13 percent as a part of marijuana. In some medical dispensaries in Colorado, it now makes upwards of 30 percent of the drug," White said.

Bennett interjected, "This isn't your grandfather's pot."

White went on to list some of the negative effects of marijuana on users, noting that it suppresses the dopamine receptors in your brain, won't wear off like beer or alcohol, and causes a drop in your IQ if used for an extended period of time. "In addition to a lowered IQ, those with a family history of mental disorders are two to five times more likely to develop mental disorders," he added.

White said marijuana also increases the chance of a heart attack by the user.

Colorado was supposed to eliminate the marijuana black market, but it did not."

The impact on children caused both authors' concern. White said states that have legalized the drug experience a much higher rate of usage: "9.4 percent of children have used marijuana in states that have legalized medical marijuana, whereas the average in non-medical marijuana states is at 6.7 percent."

Citing findings from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's 2013 National Survey of Drug Use and Health, White said the numbers are even more stark in Colorado. There, 10.2 percent of 12-17-year-olds have used the drug.

"In the 18-25 range, which are critical years for brain development, nationally, 18.78 percent of the age group have used in the past month, while in Colorado it stands at 27.26 percent," White added.

Why do you think they call it dope!

causes a drop in your IQ

I dont see a lot of guys getting high and beating their wives. Drunk? All the time.

It isnt great for you, but neither are a lot of things.

I don't know about you guys but I have been buying pot stocks and picks/shovels for the industry since this pandemic started in the US. Legalization is coming in a majority of states IMO. The benefit is likely 2 fold for the state in terms of tax revenue gained and then less expense for the courts/prison system for charging, convicting, and jailing someone for a pot violation.

I don't know about you guys but I have been buying pot stocks and picks/shovels for the industry since this pandemic started in the US. Legalization is coming in a majority of states IMO. The benefit is likely 2 fold for the state in terms of tax revenue gained and then less expense for the courts/prison system for charging, convicting, and jailing someone for a pot violation.

And add the opportunity cost of imprisoned people not being productive, and being stigmatized their entire lives.

How much pot would you have to have to go to jail? I mean, beyond maybe one or two days of "time"... I'd think it would be almost impossible to get busted with some personal weed (like even up to an ounce) and face jail time over it. Maybe I'm off with that sense, I don't know much about drug laws since I don't mess around with drugs.
A couple of years back, when I was summoned for grand jury duty, anything over 11 grams was a felony "intent to distribute" charge. Less than a half ounce.

It's been decades since I got any weed for personal use, but a lid then was well over that limit.

tenor.gif

Not to mention the whole personal freedom thing.

Reactions: unIowa
The legalization of dope in Colorado did not stop the black market for said drug.
You can literally grow your own plants in Colorado. The black market exists because they tax it at a very high rate. Legal weed is regulated and you know exactly what you're getting, nothing is laced/cut etc.... You're uninformed.

ADVERTISEMENT