ADVERTISEMENT

Going to West Lafayette?

khawk94

Rookie
May 20, 2020
Thinking about making the drive over. Any advice on making sure I don’t get scammed on tickets? Good places to stay/eat etc. advice and thoughts would be appreciated.

Thinking about making the drive over. Any advice on making sure I don’t get scammed on tickets? Good places to stay/eat etc. advice and thoughts would be appreciated.
Purdue and Ross Aide Stadium is my favorite of other Big Ten schools. The fans are friendly, the band and locomotive are entertaining, and the field is close to the fans like Kinnick. Parking garages are close to the stadium

Glad you’re going to support.

Honestly though, Purdue my least favorite Big Ten venue to travel to. Just blah.

I would agree, just kind of there. Plus, there is the loud train horn all the time. They seem to have a pretty good variety of food at the stadium though.

Reactions: frydaze
I would agree, just kind of there. Plus, there is the loud train horn all the time. They seem to have a pretty good variety of food at the stadium though.
Never cared for Ross Aide Stadium. Has no character to it. West Lafayette as a town just sort of blah. Not really an over-the-top fan base they are just sort of there too. Definitely my least favorite place, and by far.

On side note, the locker rooms of each stadium are detached from the stadium--Purdue players literally walk across a street from their locker room to the stadium.

Reactions: WSC72
I’m fine with this being a fairly low key trip. In fact not looking to spend the night Saturday. Any suggestions on where I can park and get out of town fairly quickly after the game.

Never cared for Ross Aide Stadium. Has no character to it. West Lafayette as a town just sort of blah. Not really an over-the-top fan base they are just sort of there too. Definitely my least favorite place, and by far.

On side note, the locker rooms of each stadium are detached from the stadium--Purdue players literally walk across a street from their locker room to the stadium.
That is all changing with the continued stadium renovations. South endzone of rossade is being completely redone to close the loop in the concourse, tunnel is being built where the students are now to allow the team to walk from the performance facility to the stadium. + some other stuff in phase 1. I think around 45 mil. All in all, planning on over 100 mil.

I preferred Ross Aide over Spartan Stadium. But not many others. I did notice that they have to walk from the detached locker rooms, I thought that was a bit strange.

That is all changing with the continued stadium renovations. South endzone of rossade is being completely redone to close the loop in the concourse, tunnel is being built where the students are now to allow the team to walk from the performance facility to the stadium. + some other stuff in phase 1. I think around 45 mil. All in all, planning on over 100 mil.
Good to hear. It desperately needs it.

I’m fine with this being a fairly low key trip. In fact not looking to spend the night Saturday. Any suggestions on where I can park and get out of town fairly quickly after the game.
I'd probably look to park as south or west as possible and walk through campus if you are wanting a quick out, but I've always tailgated after, so can't be certain that's great advice. If you park west, you won't see much of campus.

Food is good at most places. If you want iconic, go to Harry's chocolate shop or triple x. If you just want in and out, there is a pretty good tap room across from triple x. Would have to walk through campus to get to stadium, but Purdue is super walkable. Probably a 15 minute walk.

Could also probably go find a tailgate in the Greek Island or tailgate fields and hang out.

I preferred Ross Aide over Spartan Stadium. But not many others. I did notice that they have to walk from the detached locker rooms, I thought that was a bit strange.
Spartan Stadium is nothing spectacular either though I prefer it over Ross Aide, but I'd say monumental difference between the two school's campuses. MSU has a gorgeous campus-- one of the prettiest anywhere.

Honestly though, Purdue my least favorite Big Ten venue to travel to. Just blah.
I actually like it. The town isn't anything to write home about, but the stadium is right on campus. It's an easy in and out. Easy to get a beer and take a leak. And I got to watch Nebraska lose which will brighten up any venue.

As far as eats. Most of them are across the river in Lafayette. Nine Irish Brothers is a good pub. Two locations. One in Lafayette and one in West Lafayette.

I actually like it. The town isn't anything to write home about, but the stadium is right on campus. It's an easy in and out. Easy to get a beer and take a leak. And I got to watch Nebraska lose which will brighten up any venue.

As far as eats. Most of them are across the river in Lafayette. Nine Irish Brothers is a good pub. Two locations. One in Lafayette and one in West Lafayette.
If you are speaking specifically on west Lafayette, that is because Purdue is west Lafayette. Without Purdue, its a cornfield next to Lafayette.

If you are speaking specifically on west Lafayette, that is because Purdue is west Lafayette. Without Purdue, its a cornfield next to Lafayette.
That's the big difference between Iowa and Purdue. Purdue has a very nice compact campus but there is virtually nothing within walking distance. IMO Iowa's campus isn't nearly as nice but it's integrated right into an urban environment with a ton of restaurants and bars. They couldn't be more different.

Wife (no pics) went to school there. Campus is nice and huge. The restaurant and bar scene are fairly lacking. Football stadium is ok but not a lot of atmosphere. Mackey is kind of dumpy but they obviously pack the place.

The Bryant Food and Drink Co. was pretty good last time I was there. Also, they are putting some cash in to redoing the nightlife area and looks a lot better than it did in years past.

That's the big difference between Iowa and Purdue. Purdue has a very nice compact campus but there is virtually nothing within walking distance. IMO Iowa's campus isn't nearly as nice but it's integrated right into an urban environment with a ton of restaurants and bars. They couldn't be more different.
Seems to be the case with a lot of campuses vs Purdue. I know they are really working on campus, Chauncey Hill, and the industrial park. It is slowly but surely making progress. If you haven't been in 5 years, that area looks totally different.

Wife (no pics) went to school there. Campus is nice and huge. The restaurant and bar scene are fairly lacking. Football stadium is ok but not a lot of atmosphere. Mackey is kind of dumpy but they obviously pack the place.

The Bryant Food and Drink Co. was pretty good last time I was there. Also, they are putting some cash in to redoing the nightlife area and looks a lot better than it did in years past.
Mackey is dumpy? I'm interested to hear why. It's a beautiful facility. When's the last time you were there?

Mackey is dumpy? I'm interested to hear why. It's a beautiful facility. When's the last time you were there?
The inside is fine and wish Carver had more energy like it. It has been about five years or so. This is coming from a guy that also thinks Carver is a terrible BB atmosphere
bed27fbf-2a79-4380-be4f-bc319a4d2169_1140x641.jpg

The inside is fine and wish Carver had more energy like it. It has been about five years or so. This is coming from a guy that also thinks Carver is a terrible BB atmosphere
bed27fbf-2a79-4380-be4f-bc319a4d2169_1140x641.jpg
Ah. Ok. Ya. Outside is what it is. I love the inside of the building and general vibe of Mackey though, so I was just curious. I think they added some seats back in this offseason as well.

Reactions: hexumhawk
Ah. Ok. Ya. Outside is what it is. I love the inside of the building and general vibe of Mackey though, so I was just curious. I think they added some seats back in this offseason as well.
I attended a Purdue v. IU game as a neutral observer when Keady and Knight were still at both schools. Mackey was insanely loud. Great experience, nice fans. But damnit you will remain our most hated rival.

Ross Ade was quite meh, but again, nice fans.

I attended a Purdue v. IU game as a neutral observer when Keady and Knight were still at both schools. Mackey was insanely loud. Great experience, nice fans. But damnit you will remain our most hated rival.

Ross Ade was quite meh, but again, nice fans.
Rossade is fun when Purdue is good, but meh when they are average, and free when Hazell is coaching. I'd guess Saturday will be a fun game.

Mackey on the other had, is still insanely loud.

Reactions: WadeLookingbill
They need to implode Carver and start over.
I actually disagree; the layout is just horrible, and it’s outdated. Carver can actually get super loud with that low ceiling, they just need a major refresher.

If I were Iowa, I’d damn near copy what Illinois did, where you keep the quirkiness of an older arena while reconfiguring it and adding in luxury suites:

hqdefault.jpg

1150000634_999_N54_webprojects.jpg

1150000634_999_N56_webprojects.jpg

Get the revenue-generating suites in the MIDDLE, and you can actually put the students all the way around the court.

Seems to be the case with a lot of campuses vs Purdue. I know they are really working on campus, Chauncey Hill, and the industrial park. It is slowly but surely making progress. If you haven't been in 5 years, that area looks totally different.
I was there this year and last. Son goes there.

Agree - the best I found at Purdue was a dude that was grilling a whole bunch of stuff on a grill in the shape of Boilermaker train.

Reactions: frydaze
Went a few years ago and enjoyed it. That was back when Purdue was down and we were able to get South endzone tickets for less than 5$ on Stubhub so can't help on the ticket end of things. We liked the town and parked in a grass lot on the southwest side of the stadium. Wasn't too much of a walk to get to Ross-Ade. Went into Mackey and saw the big drum outside the field. I guess I liked it a lot just because I have been watching games there for 40 years so it was special to see it.

The one thing that really stuck out to me was the concession stand in the south endzone was in worse shape than most HS fields I have been to. It was shocking but I think I have heard they have renovated it....not that you are going to a game for the concessions but it was truly shocking at how bad the building was. Have fun on the trip.

Went a few years ago and enjoyed it. That was back when Purdue was down and we were able to get South endzone tickets for less than 5$ on Stubhub so can't help on the ticket end of things. We liked the town and parked in a grass lot on the southwest side of the stadium. Wasn't too much of a walk to get to Ross-Ade. Went into Mackey and saw the big drum outside the field. I guess I liked it a lot just because I have been watching games there for 40 years so it was special to see it.

The one thing that really stuck out to me was the concession stand in the south endzone was in worse shape than most HS fields I have been to. It was shocking but I think I have heard they have renovated it....not that you are going to a game for the concessions but it was truly shocking at how bad the building was. Have fun on the trip.
I never made it further then the beer cart.

ADVERTISEMENT