ADVERTISEMENT

Going with a friend that is buying an AR today

jellyfish10

HR Legend
Aug 10, 2009
I’m not really sure how to feel about it. The gun will be used primarily for coyote hunting but in light of recent events it just seems weird. I’m interested to see how easy the process is.

Reactions: CJ Beat Hard
I’m not really sure how to feel about it. The gun will be used primarily for coyote hunting but in light of recent events it just seems weird. I’m interested to see how easy the process is.

Would you feel better if it wasn't called an AR?

main-qimg-9ffc33b6229503c20da7d7c632de2b62

This is the dumbest meme, and I keep seeing it. The very fact that there's a market for the latter shows their non-equivalence. The market doesn't lie.

From an article I read a couple of years ago:

Though it can be used for hunting, the AR-15 isn’t really a hunting rifle. Its standard .223 caliber ammunition doesn’t offer much stopping power for anything other than small game. Hunters themselves find the rifle controversial, with some arguing AR-15-style rifles empower sloppy, “spray and pray” hunters to waste ammunition. (The official Bushmaster XM15 manual lists the maximum effective rate of fire at 45 rounds per minute.) As one hunter put it in the comments section of an article on americanhunter.org, “I served in the military and the M16A2/M4 was the weapon I used for 20 years. It is first and foremost designed as an assault weapon platform, no matter what the spin. A hunter does not need a semi-automatic rifle to hunt, if he does he sucks, and should go play video games. I see more men running around the bush all cammo'd up with assault vests and face paint with tricked out AR's. These are not hunters but wannabe weekend warriors.”

Is the timing coincidental or does your buddy think he should hurry in case they get banned?

Reactions: jellyfish10

Ok, they are the same action and caliber, but they are designed for different uses.

I don't see many people working the 3 gun circuit with a Mini 14 because the AR is designed to be used in close quarter tactical environments as presented in the rifle stages of 3 gun. Much like you don't see many people working the shotgun stages with a Taurus Judge shooting .410 shotgun shells.

From an article I read a couple of years ago:

Though it can be used for hunting, the AR-15 isn’t really a hunting rifle. Its standard .223 caliber ammunition doesn’t offer much stopping power for anything other than small game. Hunters themselves find the rifle controversial, with some arguing AR-15-style rifles empower sloppy, “spray and pray” hunters to waste ammunition. (The official Bushmaster XM15 manual lists the maximum effective rate of fire at 45 rounds per minute.) As one hunter put it in the comments section of an article on americanhunter.org, “I served in the military and the M16A2/M4 was the weapon I used for 20 years. It is first and foremost designed as an assault weapon platform, no matter what the spin. A hunter does not need a semi-automatic rifle to hunt, if he does he sucks, and should go play video games. I see more men running around the bush all cammo'd up with assault vests and face paint with tricked out AR's. These are not hunters but wannabe weekend warriors.”
A lot of AR’s can shoot 5.56 rounds just like the M-16. So he is ok shooting that round at humans but says they are only good for small game?

Here's the thing, I have no doubt this is true, however, the AR15 and guns that look scary/awesome have captivated people who want a gun with an edge, both responsible gun owners and troubled kids who think school shootings are a good way to grab attention for themselves.

No doubt the designers of the AR15 made them to "look cool," it's marketing, and it's been wildly successful. The problem is these are now sought after guns, and a lunatic with an axe to grind wants one the same way a golfer wants the latest $500 driver, or why someone wants a Cadillac instead of a Chevy.

The makers of the AR15 should be commended for their artistic design, how they've made it so desirable, but I'd be fine if there were heavy restrictions placed on it, knowing full well it functions the same as a much less menacing weapon.

What state? What kind of paperwork does he already have?

Here's the thing, I have no doubt this is true, however, the AR15 and guns that look scary/awesome have captivated people who want a gun with an edge, both responsible gun owners and troubled kids who think school shootings are a good way to grab attention for themselves.

No doubt the designers of the AR15 made them to "look cool," it's marketing, and it's been wildly successful. The problem is these are now sought after guns, and a lunatic with an axe to grind wants one the same way a golfer wants the latest $500 driver, or why someone wants a Cadillac instead of a Chevy.

The makers of the AR15 should be commended for their artistic design, how they've made it so desirable, but I'd be fine if there were heavy restrictions placed on it, knowing full well it functions the same as a much less menacing weapon.
What if we didn't ban assault weapons, but instead required that they could only be painted pink? Removes some of the "cool factor", makes the guys who have a small enough penis to need a 30-round magazine to kill a coyote feel even more insecure, and no one can claim the government is trying to take away everyone's guns. Win/win.

This is where I get fuzzy. So say we ban the ARs. There are many more similar weapons that people with an axe to grind can get a hold of. After those are banned, others will take it's place. Where is the line drawn? Any a-hole can get a gun and kill people. Yes I hunt. No I'm not a gun nut. I only own a shotgun, a muzzleloader, and am looking into a handgun to take hunting.

Reactions: 86Hawkeye
This is where I get fuzzy. So say we ban the ARs. There are many more similar weapons that people with an axe to grind can get a hold of. After those are banned, others will take it's place. Where is the line drawn? Any a-hole can get a gun and kill people. Yes I hunt. No I'm not a gun nut. I only own a shotgun, a muzzleloader, and am looking into a handgun to take hunting.
I'm with you, the line would need to be defined and I don't know enough to suggest what it should be. Maybe it's the high capacity magazine thing, not sure.

Reactions: TailgateTom
What if we didn't ban assault weapons, but instead required that they could only be painted pink? Removes some of the "cool factor", makes the guys who have a small enough penis to need a 30-round magazine to kill a coyote feel even more insecure, and no one can claim the government is trying to take away everyone's guns. Win/win.
I like it. Maybe they could even be "full audio," with a speaker in them that repeatedly says "I have a small penis, I have a small penis..."

Reactions: BelemNole

sounds like a pussy, i kill them with my bare hands.

All this shit is NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMI AUTOMATIC IS SEMI AUTOMATIC regardless of the weapon's appearance.

Of course the size of the bullet matters, but who gives a shit what the gun looks like?

Killers gonna kill, be it long guns, short guns, knives, swords, bombs or automobiles.

Banning assault rifles ain't gonna do a thing and all the emotional tears of teenagers isn't going to solve the problem.

God bless those kids. I'm not picking on them. I'm just pointing out that emotion seldom creates good decisions.

All this shit is NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMI AUTOMATIC IS SEMI AUTOMATIC regardless of the weapon's appearance.

Of course the size of the bullet matters, but who gives a shit what the gun looks like?

Killers gonna kill, be it long guns, short guns, knives, swords, bombs or automobiles.

Banning assault rifles ain't gonna do a thing and all the emotional tears of teenagers isn't going to solve the problem.

God bless those kids. I'm not picking on them. I'm just pointing out that emotion seldom creates good decisions.

YmBnu1c.gif

Iowa. Concealed carry permit. It’s already a done deal it’s just a formality at this point.

So, let me tell you how this is going to go. Since he has a permit, you're going to walk away thinking "wow, that was really too easy". He will literally walk in, fill out a form, show his permit, pay, and walk out with an AR-15.

I've been thinking about this a bit more @jellyfish10 and I think the regs that should be handed down immediately, even though it won't make a difference in stopping shootings but it may, eventually, lower the body count.

Three things to do on Guns RIGHT NOW:

1. Rapid fire, long rifles/guns such as the AR-15: Must be 25 to Purchase (if you have to be 25 to rent a car you need to be 25 to buy this type of gun). Most of these shootings are done by those younger than 25 and while these guns are not exclusively used they do increase the body count. This way we give kids the opportunity to grow up and stabilize mentally before owning this type of weapon. This obviously won't stop those who already have this type of weapon in their house.
2. Hand Guns that take a Magazine: Must be 21 to Purchase. See above. 6 shooters and traditional hunting rifles are ok to purchase at 18.
3. Tax ammunition by the bullet/shell: Use these funds to harden up our soft targets. Sometimes sin taxes, such as this proposal, are needed.

Again these things won't stop these types of tragedies from happening in the future but they may end up saving some lives by lessening the body count.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT