ADVERTISEMENT

Golf ruling, need a little help.

You’re as bad as the guy that stetches/doesn’t follow the rules. You follow ALL the rules like it’s the PGA tour and there’s big $ on the line. Golf for 99.9% of people is a game to go out and BS with buddies and have some fun. There are some rules, like this one where he actually found his original ball, that shouldn’t be followed. Definitely when you’re alone or there’s no $ on the line. If its a tourney or you’re counting it towards your handicap then ya, make it legit. Otherwise who freaking cares!
The measure of one's character is what they do when NO ONE is watching. I find it difficult to "turn it on and off" like a light switch.

Thank you for the responses fellas. Sounds to me like play the drop and take the stroke penalty like I did would have worked 99% of the time. My other option would have been play a provisional from the tee (3) and then go look for my ball and if I found it I would have been hitting the normal 2.

At risk of nuking my thread: I did come up with this idea while playing. (Assuming it is agreed upon prior to the round.)

Don't play a mulligan but once a round if you miss a putt, move back 3 feet and reputt.. (kinda like a mulligan for putting)

No one. But it is pretty easy to know the rules and play by them...If your playing golf, follow the rules....if its a swat-fest, who cares.....
I have a dirty secret. When I'm playing by myself, I don't EVER give myself a gimme and put the ball in the hole every time, but I leave the flag in..... don't judge me.

No one. But it is pretty easy to know the rules and play by them...If your playing golf, follow the rules....if its a swat-fest, who cares.....
Happy medium?
If I’m by myself and I hit a tee shot, but can’t find it so I hit another ball, then I find my original one, I’m playing the original one. Don’t care what the rules say.

That said, if I hit my dropped ball onto the green and then find my original and duff it 30 yards, I keep playing the original. Not going to pick and choose my best ball.

I have a dirty secret. When I'm playing by myself, I don't EVER give myself a gimme and put the ball in the hole every time, but I leave the flag in..... don't judge me.
You can putt with the flag in now. Pace if play rule.

I play by myself mostly and what ticks me off the most is lost balls that wouldn't be lost if playing with a group. Hit a shot today that I know from the feel was in the rough on the left side of the fairway. One of those where you catch the trajectory but loose it in a sky with bright white clouds. Ball like that would never be lost on Tour with cameras and spectators and probably not even with a foursome. But playing alone you can lose a lot of balls that are just in the rough. Frustrating.

You can putt with the flag in now. Pace if play rule.

I play by myself mostly and what ticks me off the most is lost balls that wouldn't be lost if playing with a group. Hit a shot today that I know from the feel was in the rough on the left side of the fairway. One of those where you catch the trajectory but loose it in a sky with bright white clouds. Ball like that would never be lost on Tour with cameras and spectators and probably not even with a foursome. But playing alone you can lose a lot of balls that are just in the rough. Frustrating.
100%. We have a really nice course here in DM (Waveland) that I refuse to play solo for this very reason. You can hit a great drive, in the fairway, and because of the slope of the hills it will roll and you will never find it. Atleast with group you have multiple people getting a line on it.

The key is whether it is known to be in a hazard or oob or simply lost. If it's known to be in a hazard you drop within 2 club lengths of where it crossed the margin. Otherwise it is stroke and distance. A provisional is used if you think a ball is lost, job it might be playable from a hazard.

If you want to score better it's best not to play fast and loose with the rules.

This one gets kind Into kind of a gray area. So it sounds like you believed you were in a lateral hazard. Wether you know that was a lateral or not is basically irrelevant. However once you put that new ball into play near where you reasonably felt your ball disappeared into the hazard became your 3rd shot. Now there are rules on properly taking a drop but that's not what this thread is about. This doesn't apply here, but there is a wild hypothetical occurrence where you actually find your ball in the hole. In that very circumstantial situation, the shot that actually went in is your score for the hole, regardless of how many strokes occurred after the one that went in.

Now an actual shot out of bounds or declared lost would require a re-play of the shot. For place of play it is recommended to hit a 'provisional' shot in the event that you are unable to find the original. Of note here is that it has to be declared as a provisional. You literally have to state to the playing partners that you are hitting a provisional ball. Things like 'Im gonna hit another, better hit a backup ball, I'm gonna tee another just in case' don't count. Without actually declaring the shot a provisional you technically made the first ball lost without even looking the moment you put another one into play. I've never personally heard of anyone getting hassled about it during a tournament or meet, but its one of those things that someone can rightfully penalize you for.

For a novice beginner player its important to know there are kind of 2 sets of rules. The actual USGA rules of golf (in the US, elsewhere may use that or the R&A), and local rules. Local rules are special conditions found on the scorecard or otherwise somehow established by the course or event organizers. Usually it involves how to take drops (free or otherwise) in non standard circumstances. For example if you hit into a flower bed or similar beautification. Many times a 'local' rule will give you the right to take free relief in order to keep you from going into it and trying to play out to avoid a penalty. Therefore the course encourages you to just lose your ball instead of doing damage looking for it. And then there's League play. Which is just a giant set of local rules designed for ease and pace of play as its still competition based, but has very few competitive players that fully understand the rules, and some really high handicap players. Out of bounds and lost balls are generally dumbed down to keep scores reasonable and keep people moving.

When do local rules come into play? Because they changed the local rules for out of bounds and lost balls a couple years ago. You can choose to hit 4 from the fairway instead of 3 from your original shot.

A couple of notes - you can only play a provisional ball if you believe your ball is either out of bounds or lost outside of a hazard (i.e. you blow it out into some thick woods, overgrown brush, or something similar, that is not marked as a hazard. If you *think" you hit it into a lake or other marked hazard, you cannot play a provisional ball if you're playing strictly by the rules
As has been mentioned, you must declare that you're hitting a provisional; it should be stated as such, along with the reason for the provisional ("I'm hitting a provisional because the first one might be OB" or "I'm hitting a provisional because the first one is in the woods & I don't think I'll be able to find it."
If you hit the provisional for a potentially lost ball, and subsequently find that ball, the provisional is out & you MUST proceed with playing the first ball. If you find it deep in the woods, you CANNOT decide to go play the provisional, even if you've smoked it right down the middle. When the first ball is found, the provisional is gone. If the first one is unplayable, then you have to declare it as such and proceed under one of your options for an unplayable lie. Best way to explain it is like this...you're on a par 3 that has some heavy brush on one side of the green that is NOT marked as a hazard. You blow one into that crap; declare a provisional for a potentially lost ball, and knock the provisional in the hole. Do NOT go near that garbage looking for the first ball you hit; if you find it, IT is in play, and you'll have to go try to chop it out of the crap. If your opponent goes in looking for your ball, if he finds it you tell him "that's not mine."

When do local rules come into play? Because they changed the local rules for out of bounds and lost balls a couple years ago. You can choose to hit 4 from the fairway instead of 3 from your original shot.

Honestly I'm not sure about that rules usage. I believe it it was simply a recommendation that courses adopt it for pace of play, but I haven't seen it posted anywhere or written on a scorecard yet. I think its really just out there for people that actually play the rules formally to avoid stoppages in play in a casual round, but you're still tracking it for your handicap.

Reactions: Funky Bunch
I'm convinced that Bryson D would shoot bogey golf plus at the club I play at if he had to play it alone with no cameras, no spotters, and no gallery to find his errant tee shots like we have to do. My course eats golf balls. On almost every hole there are natural areas, water, woods, or OB on one or both sides of the fairway. He'd be hitting 3 off the tee every hole or he'd be taking a lot of penalties for lost balls with the way he sprays it.

I think it's going to be a tough track this summer. I noticed between Friday night and Sunday afternoon the rough had grown out to be nasty. I believe there will be many courses that try to save a few bucks on fuel by cutting back on frequency in mowing in the rough. I'm fine with that, just keep the greens and fairways in good shape.

I'm convinced that Bryson D would shoot bogey golf plus at the club I play at if he had to play it alone with no cameras, no spotters, and no gallery to find his errant tee shots like we have to do. My course eats golf balls. On almost every hole there are natural areas, water, woods, or OB on one or both sides of the fairway. He'd be hitting 3 off the tee every hole or he'd be taking a lot of penalties for lost balls with the way he sprays it.

I think it's going to be a tough track this summer. I noticed between Friday night and Sunday afternoon the rough had grown out to be nasty. I believe there will be many courses that try to save a few bucks on fuel by cutting back on frequency in mowing in the rough. I'm fine with that, just keep the greens and fairways in good shape.
Interesting thought.
Or have stands, crowds and other “stuff” as backstops!

Reactions: cjnoles9399
When I played it was at a small town course where I drove my cart from my house to the course.

course was pretty much dead all the time. So when something bad happened I just quit and drove back to the first tee. The only time I played all nine holes was when I had a chance to get under 40.

quitting and starting over was my religion.

Ive no doubt your course is tough, but let’s be realistic with the bryson comments! He could probably hit 8iron off every tee and shoot under par lol you may be right that his pride would make him want to hit bombs tho

Ive no doubt your course is tough, but let’s be realistic with the bryson comments! He could probably hit 8iron off every tee and shoot under par lol you may be right that his pride would make him want to hit bombs tho
It’s an interesting question, though.
How often do you see pros pay a huge price for a wayward tee shot? You just don’t see woods and tangled messes of brush like you do at your local course.

You’re right, though, they’re so good they’d adapt and still shoot 66.

He thinks he can overpower Augusta by dropping bombs, he'd have no respect for my course.

Of course, I'm being a little dramatic here. Just wanting to emphasize how many hazards this course has. It's not like some of these small town Iowa tracks where you can slice it two fairways over and be able to find your ball and still have a shot at the green. You go left or right here and you're done.

Reactions: Slim45
Happy medium?
If I’m by myself and I hit a tee shot, but can’t find it so I hit another ball, then I find my original one, I’m playing the original one. Don’t care what the rules say.

That said, if I hit my dropped ball onto the green and then find my original and duff it 30 yards, I keep playing the original. Not going to pick and choose my best ball.
It doesn’t make any difference what you do, unles you are “posting” the round for handicap or event purposes...but becoming familiar with “the rules” makes using them a lot easier. I once heard a USGA rules official say, “Golf is a damn simple game...you hit it, you find it you count it and hit it again. Golf gets quite complicated as soon as your hand touches the ball...all hell can break loose and usually does.”

It’s an interesting question, though.
How often do you see pros pay a huge price for a wayward tee shot? You just don’t see woods and tangled messes of brush like you do at your local course.

You’re right, though, they’re so good they’d adapt and still shoot 66.
Guaranteed. They’re playing on courses that are much longer than anything we play. 500yd par 4’s are now fairly standard. They have to hit drivers to have a chance to birdie, still having 175yds in. Standard courses we play they could hit irons off the tee and still have shorter 2nd shots typically.
I will say, my BIL played d1 college golf and i swear every time he hits a shot in the trees he A)finds his ball and B) has a shot. Idk if he’s that lucky or if it’s just because he’s that good. I guess when his balls go wayward they’re not slicing or hooking like crazy, they’re just pushed or pulled, giving him a better chance at knowing where it will be possibly? It’s really aggravating playing against him tho!

Thank you for the responses fellas. Sounds to me like play the drop and take the stroke penalty like I did would have worked 99% of the time. My other option would have been play a provisional from the tee (3) and then go look for my ball and if I found it I would have been hitting the normal 2.
Yes....but do not forget to announce your second off the tee as a "Provisional" BEFORE hitting it....otherwise you have "abandonned" your original ball.......There was once an NCAA Tournament lost because of this breech of the rule.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT