ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga was awesome

hawkedoff

HB Legend
Jul 25, 2013
They were truly great tonight. Hate that it happened to is but wow that was a heck of a team. Hope they do very well the rest of the tournament. Well coached. Perform under pressure. Work hard. Fun to watch

Agree - we did plenty of things wrong that lead to the blowout but man did they look good.

With all the different things they can do they might be the most "complete" offensive team I've seen in the tourney

Gonzaga played great against the zone. Unfortunately Duke plays tough man to man and Gonzaga won't have a shot.

Zags just had their night but real question can they keep it up to finish off UCLA? IA played average tonight and if Zags' 3s weren't falling, it would have been a more competitive game for IA.

Originally posted by LaoHawk:
Zags just had their night but real question can they keep it up to finish off UCLA? IA played average tonight and if Zags' 3s weren't falling, it would have been a more competitive game for IA.
If you thought Iowa looked rough against them, don't tune in to the UCLA game. Zags will run them out of the gym in the first half.

Most impressed by Sabonis. That dude is a gamer with a bright future.

There is some truth here. Add in the fact that Iowa missed several 3-5 foot bunnies that were wide open..... It is crazy. Iowa makes 4-5 of those, and this is a close game at the end.

With that said. I agree with the others. Gonzaga was really terrific tonight. I will be pulling for them.

True, but the Zags got a lot of good looks due to their bigs holding position and forcing the D to sag. You've got to have a center that's not only athletic but stronger than Woody/Gabe to keep them from doing the same thing they did to Iowa. Don't think UCLA can boast that- Duke, KY, WI- that may be it.

No doubt, they shot really well from the outside all game. However, I think the real problem was that their big guys just absolutely dominated the front court and it wasn't even close. Our guys got manhandled by them. It was very disappointing but we just ran into a buzz saw tonight. No chance from the very beginning of the game. Congrats to them.

Good thread. Congrats to Gonzaga. And congrats to the Iowa Hawkeyes for taking another step, a big step, towards better years!

I liked that we fought hard in the second half. But when Gonzaga is hitting shots like they are going to be tough for anyone to beat.

Sabonis dad 7'3" Arvydas Sabonis is in the Naismith Hall of Fame. His dad played in Lithuania before coming over here to play in the NBA from 1995 to 2003. I used to love to watch him play for the Portland Trail Blazers. A real smooth player and seemed very personable, a gentle giant of sorts.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/sabonar01.html

Many reasons why Gonzaga is so tough. Gonzaga had the highest field goal percentage of all 351 division I teams theis year. Not to mention point guard Pangos and power forward Wiltjer are one of five still in contention for the Naismith award in their respective positions. Pretty impressive for a smaller school.

Kyle wiltjer is now on my list of most gated college players with Rodney Rodgers, tayshaun prince and the guy from nwst who hit the 3.

But in all seriousness he was unbelievable tonight. Hopefully they don't go ice cold and put same beatdown on UCLA.

Originally posted by wyohawk:

If you thought Iowa looked rough against them, don't tune in to the UCLA game. Zags will run them out of the gym in the first half.

Could not disagree more on sabonis. Punk kid who pouts, cries over everything screams like he won the lotto after every point he scores. Average at best. Guess after watching him shove his teamate in the back in first round, don't have much love for him. What did he do besides pick up a few garbage baskets? Seems like a typical rich kid punk. Gamer? Is that the same as little bitch with some height who would not even start for the Hawks?

As far as the running ucla out of gym, I look for them to come down to earth and play something other than the best game they have ever played in their life. Prob'ly win, but your logic seems a bit simple. zaga had their day in the sun, not gonna play like that for a half AND have cookin going for them each round. .They were better team, no doubt, but things tend to even out.

Originally posted by seseroy:
Could not disagree more on sabonis. Punk kid who pouts, cries over everything screams like he won the lotto after every point he scores. Average at best. Guess after watching him shove his teamate in the back in first round, don't have much love for him. What did he do besides pick up a few garbage baskets? Seems like a typical rich kid punk. Gamer? Is that the same as little bitch with some height who would not even start for the Hawks?

As far as the running ucla out of gym, I look for them to come down to earth and play something other than the best game they have ever played in their life. Prob'ly win, but your logic seems a bit simple. zaga had their day in the sun, not gonna play like that for a half AND have cookin going for them each round. .They were better team, no doubt, but things tend to even out.
That's fine, yet Sabonis is only a freshman and is currently on every single Mock Draft list as a 1st Round pick IF he elects to leave early.

He's 18. Will be 19 in June. He's on Chad Ford's "Top 30" in all college Hoops. Ranked 70 spots higher than Wiltjer, Karnowski, Pangos, etc.

Who knows what will happen with UCLA.

Zags beat them in mid-December by 13 on their home court. Their ONLY loss at home ALL season.

They seem to be much improved, yet we've shown we can hang with some Big-6 conference teams this season.

I hope it works out, yet just happy we advanced, although a big-time fan of Iowa and respect the hell outta your team, program, coach, and players.

That said, Sabonis will be an NBA player someday. Book it. Remember, he's not even 19. Were you 19 by the time you were a college frosh? Exactly.

In retrospect, Gonzaga was a terrible matchup for us. I would just as soon forget this game. If Gonzaga folds the next game, that sounds great to me.

Uthoff and Gesell should strive to match Wiltjer and Pango next year. Gesell has to improve his shooting a lot to get to Pango's level.

Originally posted by seseroy:
Originally posted by wyohawk:

How can a person have such bad opinions or are you just trolling?

Sabonis is really good. Gonzaga is really really good. They lost 2 games all year with one being a close game to Kentucky. We were overmatched.

I hope and think they will beat UCLA by 30. I see them giving Duke trouble and maybe making the final four.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT