ADVERTISEMENT

Good morning boys and girls...a day to remember.

Aardvark86

HB Heisman
Jan 23, 2018
Please take a moment away from discussing last night's festivities to remember that morning 23 years ago.

It was a morning here in DC almost as spectacularly beautiful as this morning is, with barely a hint of a cloud in the sky. For my part, I was settled in at work when the first 'news' of the day's events came from our legislative assistant who was one of two people who had a tiny TV in her office (to monitor CSPAN). When I peeked at the images, I didn't think too much of them at first, thinking some sort of small plane had veered tragically off course. When it became apparent a little while thereafter that things were more ominous, the internet bandwidth quickly became overwhelmed and of limited utility for getting updates. Funny how times have changed in that respect in terms of communications. At one point that morning, there was a rumor that a plane had hit the white house, which is maybe 5-6 blocks away. I walked over to the south side of our offices and looked out the conference room window to see a thick pillar of black smoke from that direction -- so thick that I thought the rumor was true, even though that pillar came from several miles further away on that line of sight, at the Pentagon. (As it happened, Mrs. A was heading over to the Pentagon City mall with our young kids that morning, and of course had to turn around.) Watched the first tower go down live and felt sick to my stomach at the massive loss of humanity, and of course, at that point, you knew the second one would follow in due time. Cried a little. At lunchtime a lot of people were trying to go home, but getting no where in traffic, so I decided to just go home later in the day. But the eerie memory of the lunch hour was the extreme silence on the crowded street, except for the sound of Bob Marley's "One Love" from some guy's car radio. Probably the closest I'll ever come to Jacob Bronowski hearing "Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby?" while entering downtown Nagasaki to do his BDA.

My office overlooked an adjacent local firehouse. In the coming weeks, those poor bastards were run ragged every time somebody put their brief case down next to them. I made them a dozen stromboli and dropped them off one morning.

Last edited:
20+ years ago no smart phones at every desk, and we didn't have a single TV in the building. Limited internet because the powers that be didn't want us on the internet instead of working. So, we were left to, "The what is on fire"? "What hit what"? Our news was coming from people at outside offices calling in because they could have radios on versus us at corporate HQ, or people running out to their cars to turn on the radio during breaks and listening for updates.
Mrs. Lucas was supposed to fly to Atlanta that day, and I recall picking her up at UIHC when all flights were grounded. My older brother was in Canada and I think he spent a week there before he could get back into the US.
What a somber, surreal day.

Reactions: Aardvark86
20+ years ago no smart phones at every desk, and we didn't have a single TV in the building. Limited internet because the powers that be didn't want us on the internet instead of working. So, we were left to, "The what is on fire"? "What hit what"? Our news was coming from people at outside offices calling in because they could have radios on versus us at corporate HQ, or people running out to their cars to turn on the radio during breaks and listening for updates.
Mrs. Lucas was supposed to fly to Atlanta that day, and I recall picking her up at UIHC when all flights were grounded. My older brother was in Canada and I think he spent a week there before he could get back into the US.
What a somber, surreal day.
Just a terrible day. The evolution of communications is really amazing and a lot of people have probably forgotten or never really contemplated its speed. At my 1986 commencement, our speaker was Thornton Bradshaw from RCA, who told us how "instant communications" was going to make the world a global village and revolutionize everything. Less then five years later, the FCC was essentially giving away cellular spectrum by lottery, and if you were picked, the only way you could lose was if you had a typo or other clerical error on your application (no really!), so if you weren't busy you'd go to this boiler room and do high-stakes proofreading. five years after that we've moved from a linked microcomputer system to office based networked pcs with internet access (funny how the early news aggregators were actually "valuable market intelligence" rather than spam as currently).

on that day, I think i had a cell phone, with a non-roaming network consisting mostly of the DC metro area. I called my mom and dad on a crappy connection, who were at the beach in NJ (and we were expected to visit that weekend), to let them know I was ok. My mom said, "that's great honey". And I said, "do you know what is going on?" She said no and I told her to turn on the TV. When we drove up to see them that weekend, quite literally every bridge overpass along the way had a flag hanging from it.

Some of the 'getting home' stories were amazing, and would probably make a neat book some day (don't think I've ever seen that angle). We had colleagues all over the country who were put up in clients' homes, there was a funny story of some docs at a west coast medical convention who collectively just bought a new car, drove home cross country, and then resold it, and I'm sure many others.

Watched the 2nd plane hit from my couch. Went to class, TV was already on in the room. We all just stared at the television, professor included. Had a few other classes that day and did the same. Also remember the line of cars at gas stations was about 40 deep that day

Please take a moment away from discussing last night's festivities to remember that morning 23 years ago.

It was a morning here in DC almost as spectacularly beautiful as this morning is, with barely a hint of a cloud in the sky. For my part, I was settled in at work when the first 'news' of the day's events came from our legislative assistant who was one of two people who had a tiny TV in her office (to monitor CSPAN). When I peeked at the images, I didn't think too much of them at first, thinking some sort of small plane had veered tragically off course. When it became apparent a little while thereafter that things were more ominous, the internet bandwidth quickly became overwhelmed and of limited utility for getting updates. Funny how times have changed in that respect in terms of communications. At one point that morning, there was a rumor that a plane had hit the white house, which is maybe 5-6 blocks away. I walked over to the south side of our offices and looked out the conference room window to see a thick pillar of black smoke from that direction -- so thick that I thought the rumor was true, even though that pillar came from several miles further away on that line of sight, at the Pentagon. (As it happened, Mrs. A was heading over to the Pentagon City mall with our young kids that morning, and of course had to turn around.) Watched the first tower go down live and felt sick to my stomach at the massive loss of humanity, and of course, at that point, you knew the second one would follow in due time. Cried a little. At lunchtime a lot of people were trying to go home, but getting no where in traffic, so I decided to just go home later in the day. But the eerie memory of the lunch hour was the extreme silence on the crowded street, except for the sound of Bob Marley's "One Love" from some guy's car radio. Probably the closest I'll ever come to Jacob Bronowski hearing "Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby?" while entering downtown Nagasaki to do his BDA.

My office overlooked an adjacent local firehouse. In the coming weeks, those poor bastards were run ragged every time somebody put their brief case down next to them. I made them a dozen stromboli and dropped them off one morning.
I was in my first year of law school, and I thought people were joking or exaggerating some yahoo in a small plane hitting a building. Then we watched on tvs. An odd mishmash of classes. My crustiest and most assholiest professor just wanted the class to talk about what was going on and what people were feeling. My otherwise "kindest" professor was like, "well, there is nothing we can do about what is happening elsewhere so class will proceed as normal." One of the things I remember most was then at night watching the news and the talk of crashing and thuds every where around the WTC as people jumped out of the buildings to their deaths below, and then Britain's royal band (whatever they are called) playing the star spangled banner in honor of what was going on, which brought Dan Rather to tears. Easily the most pivotal day of american history in my consciousness.

Last edited:
Was at the car dealer for an oil change, watching in the wait room. One other guy in there with me, and we were both horrified at how an accident like this could happen. Second tower got hit, and I looked at him and said, "This was no accident. This is terrorism." And I've been paranoid as hell ever since.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT