ADVERTISEMENT

Good News: More Than 20 LBs on Roster, Bad News: Not alot of Starter Experience

nu2u

HR Legend
Aug 10, 2006
Old News: Iowa graduated 3 multi-year starters. I believe this is a complete list but I could be wrong. Also, (*) designates scholarship players to the best of my knowledge.

Jack Hockaday, SR*
Aaron Mends, SR*
Kristian Welch, JR*
Amani Jones, JR*
Colton Dinsdale, JR
Nick Anderson, JR
Barriington Wade, SO*
Nick Niemann, SO*
Kyle Taylor, SO*
Djimon Colbert, rFR*
Nate Wieland. rFR*
Ben Campos, rFR
Joe Ludwig, rFR
Dillon Doyle, FR*
Jayden McDonald, FR*
Logan Klemp, FR*
Seth Benson, FR*
Mike Timm, FR
John Carlson, FR
Mitch Riggs, FR
Joe Evans, FR

The one thing that jumps out at you is the number of underclassmen at this position and, specifically, the 12 FR/rFR players with zero college playing time that compromises well over half the entire LB unit. LB development is obviously the biggest concern this Spring and Fall.

Which underclassmen do you see making a significant impact next season?

It appears from this outsider that Niemann, Taylor, and Colbert will be counted on to make big strides this Spring.

Last edited:
Another area of concern coaches and fans alike should consider is which of the LB's on the roster are Looking Fast this spring.

Seriously tho, we can rehash the LB issue time and again, but until we see players emerge this off season and during the season we dont really know much. I'd like to see consistent depth built at the LB position in similar fashion to what has been done with the DL.

Reactions: deanhawk88
Another area of concern coaches and fans alike should consider is which of the LB's on the roster are Looking Fast this spring.

Seriously tho, we can rehash the LB issue time and again, but until we see players emerge this off season and during the season we dont really know much. I'd like to see consistent depth built at the LB position in similar fashion to what has been done with the DL.
I agree - all this is speculation and TBD. It probably shouldn't have but the number of LBs on the squad kind of surprised me. Has Iowa ever had this many LBs (21) on one squad? They are going to need a bigger meeting room.

Reactions: deanhawk88

Great Point! Djimon weighted 186 lbs. in the H.S. film; he's now listed as 234 lbs. on the Hawkeye roster (great work, Coach Doyle). I'm sure with the added weight Colbert is no longer "Looking [as] Fast" as he did in H.S.

This does beg the question: Which unit/s are paying for this? are we waiting for the other shoe to drop? I would hate for us to become (in future) one of those teams that have a glaringly weak unit that undoes the rest...

Great Point! Djimon weighted 186 lbs. in the H.S. film; he's now listed as 234 lbs. on the Hawkeye roster (great work, Coach Doyle). I'm sure with the added weight Colbert is no longer "Looking [as] Fast" as he did in H.S.
Where do I find the most recent roster? I cant find one reflecting that weight for Colbert.

Nevermind got it.

Last edited:
I like the odds of one walk-on earning a starting spot. They all seemed to have great credentials coming to Iowa.
Not a chance for this year. I would be willing to put money on this. You have 2 seniors, 2 Juniors, 2 sophomores and 2 redshirt freshmen(plus 2 true freshmen) who have a much greater chance of starting. Just can't see any walk-on freshmen jumping in front of this group this year.

Reactions: Harbinger273
I don't think it's the recent roster; it's last year's roster. But he went from 186:

to 234:

https://hawkeyesports.com/roster.aspx?path=football&roster=252&sort=name

With 21 LBs, I'm more curious who the three LBs are on the 7th Team? :(
Looks like it is an updated roster with last years seniors still on there. I noticed alot of weights changed.

On Colbert, that 186 weight may have been Junior year. I remember it being said that he was bigger during his senior year. Either way he has gotten much bigger and thats good. Ironically, if history of player weight gain at Iowa is any predictor, Colbert may have even gained a step under Doyles tutelage!

Golston is 265, M Nelson is 295, Fant is up 9 pounds, Beyer is up to 240, Jones and Welch at 238 at LB is great. Epenesa up 7 lbs, and A Nelson at 271. Geno Stone up to 209 and B. Smith to 219.

Last edited:
2-3 of the younger LB's will eventually become the next FB's.

We have had LB's turn into DL, TE's. Special teams.

I have high hopes for Colbert, especially since he put on the weight. Djimon likely already has good cover skills and fwiw, he's the highest ranked (comp) player at LBer we have(644). Taylor(674) and Doyle(765) are next w/ McDonald 4th (782), Wade (839) and Niemann (938) are the only other in the top 1000. The talent is in the youth and the talent is getting better in each class. I'm pretty confident 3-5 guys are really gonna step up...it's still just who...

This does beg the question: Which unit/s are paying for this? are we waiting for the other shoe to drop? I would hate for us to become (in future) one of those teams that have a glaringly weak unit that undoes the rest...
Not sure any are paying. I counted at least 8 walk ons in that roster listed. 85 scholarships means you have a bit of wiggle room to distribute as you see fit.

Looks like it is an updated roster with last years seniors still on there. I noticed alot of weights changed.

On Colbert, that 186 weight may have been Junior year. I remember it being said that he was bigger during his senior year. Either way he has gotten much bigger and thats good. Ironically, if history of player weight gain at Iowa is any predictor, Colbert may have even gained a step under Doyles tutelage!

Golston is 265, M Nelson is 295, Fant is up 9 pounds, Beyer is up to 240, Jones and Welch at 238 at LB is great. Epenesa up 7 lbs, and A Nelson at 271. Geno Stone up to 209 and B. Smith to 219.
And im up to 260 now

I'm not as worried about Iowa LB's in the 2nd half of the year as I am the 1st half. It'll sort itself out.

More worried about the o-line than anything else.

I'm not as worried about Iowa LB's in the 2nd half of the year as I am the 1st half. It'll sort itself out.

More worried about the o-line than anything else.
If the oline can stay mostly healthy we will be ok. Most years we struggle when we get the second injury. I wish we did more drive blocking though. Sometimes it looks like we are catching the defenders. I think our linebackers will be good by mid season also.

It will be very interesting to see how this shakes out in spring ball, fall camp, and the season itself. We have the athletes but not the experience. I really like the pool to choose from with Welch, Hockaday, Mends, Niemann, Jones, more. Didn't Welch start a game at MLB when Josey was hurt?

I said this in another thread but the new guys starting will have the challenge of read and react in about one second when the ball is snapped. They've done it in practice but it is a different story in a game when the bullets are flyin'. There will be a learning curve for sure. Hopefully a very good DL will help with that.

Also some of these linebackers could play defense for the basketball team in a couple years. We need somebody to stand in there an take some charges and rattle some teeth for coach fran.

It will be very interesting to see how this shakes out in spring ball, fall camp, and the season itself. We have the athletes but not the experience. I really like the pool to choose from with Welch, Hockaday, Mends, Niemann, Jones, more. Didn't Welch start a game at MLB when Josey was hurt?

I said this in another thread but the new guys starting will have the challenge of read and react in about one second when the ball is snapped. They've done it in practice but it is a different story in a game when the bullets are flyin'. There will be a learning curve for sure. Hopefully a very good DL will help with that.

I believe Niemann moved inside and Ward took Ben's spot in that game.

Are you kidding me? 12 LBs that are r or true Freshmen? Geez, that's Fran McCaffery kind of roster mismanagement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT