ADVERTISEMENT

(Good read on Iowa’s DLine) Iowa’s defensive line has high trajectory, perhaps similar to 2009 unit

Hawkeyeinsoutherncalifornia

HR All-American
Mar 9, 2017
Van Nuys, California
For the 2018 season ...

By Scott Dochterman Land of 10 Staff
January 13, 2018

IOWA CITY, Iowa — Anthony Nelson is coming back. So are Matt Nelson, Parker Hesse and A.J. Epenesa.

Cedrick Lattimore returns as do Brady Reiff and Sam Brincks.

The guts and glue of Iowa football’s front defensive wall remain intact for the 2018 season. Of the team’s eight primary rotational players, only one starter — defensive tackle Nathan Bazata — won’t come back. With all of the returnees, the Hawkeyes have the potential to become one of the Big Ten’s best defensive lines next fall.

As a sophomore, Anthony Nelson posted the most sacks in 2017 with 7.5. Epenesa wowed everyone his first fall on campus with 4.5 sacks. Hesse had 4. All of them were effective in pass-rush situations. With 29 sacks last season, Iowa was 1 shy of tying for the program high (30 on three occasions) since 2003.

Matt Nelson, a junior last fall, slid inside to defensive tackle after opening all 13 games of his sophomore year at defensive end. He has 20 career starts, while Anthony Nelson has 14. Hesse is the group’s veteran with 34 starts. Lattimore, a sophomore last year, also opened six games.

In interviews following a 27-20 win against Boston College in the Pinstripe Bowl, the mood reflected the moment. There was no interest from next year’s defensive linemen in looking ahead, just enjoying the accomplishment and embracing one another.

“We’re kind of in celebrate mode right now,” Matt Nelson said. “Us as a group, it’s the last time that Bazata, [Jake] Hulett and [Daniel] Gaffney will be a part of our group. So it’s an exciting time, but it’s also bittersweet.”

“I haven’t really looked ahead that much,” Anthony Nelson said. “We’re losing a lot great seniors and a lot of great leadership and a lot of great players. But on the flip side, we have a lot of guys that are good coming back. We have a lot of leadership coming back. Obviously, we’re all be going to be excited about a new challenge, a new opportunity.”

Projected 2018 spring depth chart

First team Second team Third team
DE
Anthony Nelson, jr., 6-7, 260 Sam Brincks, sr., 6-5, 270 Chauncey Golston, so., 6-5, 255
DT Matt Nelson, sr., 6-8, 285 (injured) Brady Reiff, jr., 6-3, 260 Garret Jansen, jr., 6-2, 280
DT Cedrick Lattimore, jr., 6-5, 295 Daviyon Nixon, so., 6-5, 295 Jack Kallenberger, jr. 6-5, 250
DE Parker Hesse, sr., 6-3, 257 A.J. Epenesa, so., 6-6, 270 Brandon Simon, so., 6-1, 240

At 6-foot-7 and 260 pounds, Anthony Nelson has an angular build and a quick first step that helped him generate 7 quarterback hurries to go along with his sacks. Epenesa, whose natural 6-5, 270-pound frame belies his first-year status, had 8 quarterback hurries. Matt Nelson had the unit’s greatest transition in shifting from end to tackle. At 6-8 and 285 pounds, fundamentals were critical in his development. By midseason, he moved into the starting lineup.

“I learned that I can play with a lot better technique and a lot better pad level than I ever thought I was able to,” Matt Nelson said. “Coach [Reese] Morgan and Coach [Kelvin] Bell are able to get that out of all of us and just learn from a great player like [Bazata]. It’s just been a huge impact on my development as an interior player versus outside, so it was a struggle at first and a lot of ups and downs, but I made it through.”

Bazata said Matt Nelson made significant strides over the season.

“He does a really good job of it being that tall, getting down low, especially on the doubles and not getting driven back,” Bazata said. “He’s a big guy, a strong guy. As long as he stays low, he’s got a shot.”

The overall talent, production and potential of the 2018 defensive line group have drawn comparisons with some of Iowa’s best squads. In 2009 and 2010, Iowa rotated primarily five defensive linemen and four of them became NFL draft picks. In fact, Adrian Clayborn (Atlanta Falcons) and Karl Klug (Tennessee Titans) are playing in the NFL playoff games this weekend. Another, Green Bay Packers defensive tackle Mike Daniels, earned a Pro Bowl nod.

When asked how the current unit measures with his 2009-2010 squads, Iowa coach KirkFerentz immediately shut down that comparison.

“To me, we can make a lot of improvement up front,” Ferentz said. “Those guys, their best football is still way ahead of them. I think that’s a good thing and we’re going to need it, because we really aren’t that deep, in my mind.

“I wouldn’t put them in that category out of the ’09, 2010 group. They were salty. [Or] 2004.”

Ferentz has plenty of reasons to get excited about this group, however. All four rotational defensive ends return in Anthony Nelson, Hesse, Epenesa and Brincks. Matt Nelson will miss the spring following a Pinstripe Bowl injury but will be ready for the fall. Lattimore and Reiff played significant snaps at defensive tackle, while Garret Jansen earned time in the rotation. Late in the Pinstripe Bowl, Chauncey Golston also saw action at defensive tackle in a pass-rush situation.

There are others who could contend for snaps like junior-college transfer Daviyon Nixon, who played at Iowa Western last fall and received a scholarship offer from Alabama. Junior-college transfer Jack Kallenberger redshirted last year to bulk up. In addition, incoming sophomores Golston, Romeo McKnight and Brandon Simon have a chance to make their move on the depth chart.

“Guys on the farm club I think have an opportunity to play,” Ferentz said. “(Golston) needs to play for us and should play. He’s been here two years now.”

Defensive coordinator Phil Parker said he’d like to rotate 10 players, if possible. That number could shorten with position versatility. Hesse moved inside on third-down situations last year to make room for Epenesa at defensive end. Epenesa, a 5-star recruit from Edwardsville, Ill., was good enough to take about a third of the snaps at defensive end last year. His presence, among other reasons, convinced the staff that Matt Nelson should move inside. This year, Epenesa could take a few reps at defensive tackle.

“I think he will have an opportunity to move inside at times,” Parker said. “Right now, I think he’s in a good spot. I think there are some other guys that can help us out inside. You can never have enough ends. You can never have enough defensive linemen. When you have good defensive linemen, then the linebackers can play a lot faster and then it helps out the guys in the back end.”

sddefault.jpg

In his postseason news conference, Ferentz almost issued a challenge to the group rather than fill the air with glowing endorsements. He wants stronger intangibles from this group, which could permeate throughout the defense.

“First of all, the guy we’re losing is the ringleader of that group like he gives us toughness and grit up there. To me, Nate personifies that,” Ferentz said. “So we’re losing a really good player, but we’re also losing a guy that just quietly pulls them all in.

“I could say the same thing about Parker; Parker is that kind of guy, too. So we’ve got two pretty nitty-gritty guys right there.”

Maybe this group hasn’t measured up to the 2009 or 2004 defensive lines, but has the potential to become the best in about a decade. If it can successfully achieve that label, then the Hawkeyes have a shot at contending in the Big Ten West.

KF really sending messages to that group. LBer corp really needs them to be dominant. What quality depth though. We go 1's vs 1's a lot so this dl should get the ol to improve.

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk
This year, Epenesa could take a few reps at defensive tackle. “I think he will have an opportunity to move inside at times,” Parker said. “Right now, I think he’s in a good spot. I think there are some other guys that can help us out inside.

I predicted this when Epenesa arrived ...that he would split time at DT. If Waggoner is able to make an early impact, I could envision AJ taking a majority of snaps at DT as an upperclassman.

The 09/10 teams had incredible amount of depth on the line, what would happen in 2010 is teams would go spread combine with more up tempo and not allowing the Hawks substitutions would add up late in games. These young Hawks on paper shown promise but nothings ever promised tomorrow, today. They need to humble, hustle, and thrive.

The 2010 group had crap for linebackers behind them and no D coordinator. Having a depleted LB group changed how that team played D.
Phil Parker was the DC that year. He schemed things okay ... that is part of the reason why the scoring D was so tight that year. However, as your rightly pointed out, largely due to injures ... we were really depleted at LB.

However, I really think that Coach K's brand of coaching ultimately killed the morale of the DL ... particularly was we got late in the season. I think that they eventually hit a point where they kinda quite giving a crap .... part of that was likely putting up with Coach K's constant negativity ... and also dealing with the fact that we had whiffed on most of the team goals that had been made for the season.

Of course, as some others have mentioned ... we largely played with a 5-man rotation in '10 (Clayborn, Binns, Ballard, Klug, and Daniels) .... so by the end of the season, "snap-count" could have imparted a bit of a physical toll on the group as well.

KF really sending messages to that group. LBer corp really needs them to be dominant. What quality depth though. We go 1's vs 1's a lot so this dl should get the ol to improve.
Former Iowa players always seem to mention how Ferentz and Co place a great emphasis on not growing complacent ... Clayborn wrote about it recently ... interview of Yanda have stated the same thing. So part of it is that Ferentz knows that the guys still have plenty of room for growth ... so he wants them to continue put in the work to achieve that potential. Furthermore, with guys like Jewell, Jackson, and Bazata gone ... the D will be needing new voices to emerge in leadership positions on the D. Thus, that's potentially another challenge that he's posing to his guys ... challenging them to step things up in terms of leadership as well.

I agree with your premise that Ferentz and Parker know that the DL needs to be dominant ... because the new LBs will need all the help they can get in their transition into becoming starters.

Furthermore, even with 3 SR starters at LB, I was still genuinely surprised at how mediocre our run-D was this past season. Thus, there is still A LOT of ground that needs to be made up that can help our D make strides ... particularly as it relates to run-D.

Former Iowa players always seem to mention how Ferentz and Co place a great emphasis on not growing complacent ... Clayborn wrote about it recently ... interview of Yanda have stated the same thing. So part of it is that Ferentz knows that the guys still have plenty of room for growth ... so he wants them to continue put in the work to achieve that potential. Furthermore, with guys like Jewell, Jackson, and Bazata gone ... the D will be needing new voices to emerge in leadership positions on the D. Thus, that's potentially another challenge that he's posing to his guys ... challenging them to step things up in terms of leadership as well.

I agree with your premise that Ferentz and Parker know that the DL needs to be dominant ... because the new LBs will need all the help they can get in their transition into becoming starters.

Furthermore, even with 3 SR starters at LB, I was still genuinely surprised at how mediocre our run-D was this past season. Thus, there is still A LOT of ground that needs to be made up that can help our D make strides ... particularly as it relates to run-D.
He whole run D issues is the main reason I'm hesitant to speculate about next year's D-line. They can improve but I'm also not seeing guys with the kind attitude and mentality that great Iowa D lines have had in the past. I think AJ has some of this and needs to step up as the leader to instill an aggressive mentality in the others. I want guys who are ready to go toe to toe in the middle of a cell EVERY DAMN DOWN! We will need this next year especially with the LB situation.

Amani Jones I believe has the fiery passionate leadership capabilities needed for the new LB Corp.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Morgan is our best assistant IMO and he's got the D line focused on fundamentals. Everyone seems to be getting better each year they play under him. I really think he was the key to the o-line success when he was on that side of the ball. We don't have anywhere near the talent playing on this years group that existed in 2009-10, but we will be experienced and I expect us to play smart football.

Much as many on the BB board thought we'd be just fine without Jok, we will definitely miss the three linebackers and Josh. There will be a huge drop off and there's no getting around it. We may have good potential in those spots, but if you don't expect a bunch of mental mistakes be prepared to be disappointed. Same on offense. Our o-line was a disaster early on this year when we were without lesser players missing. Losing Welsh and Daniels will cause havoc. Wadley was a proven threat that had skills none of our other backs bring. I expect we'll have trouble running the ball again this year.

Our D-line will be good, but I don't see it being a strong enough unit to carry the entire defensive unit. 7-5 with the weaker schedule sounds about right. Vegas will probably have us at 6.5 or 7 on the over under.

Morgan is our best assistant IMO and he's got the D line focused on fundamentals. Everyone seems to be getting better each year they play under him. I really think he was the key to the o-line success when he was on that side of the ball. We don't have anywhere near the talent playing on this years group that existed in 2009-10, but we will be experienced and I expect us to play smart football.

Much as many on the BB board thought we'd be just fine without Jok, we will definitely miss the three linebackers and Josh. There will be a huge drop off and there's no getting around it. We may have good potential in those spots, but if you don't expect a bunch of mental mistakes be prepared to be disappointed. Same on offense. Our o-line was a disaster early on this year when we were without lesser players missing. Losing Welsh and Daniels will cause havoc. Wadley was a proven threat that had skills none of our other backs bring. I expect we'll have trouble running the ball again this year.

Our D-line will be good, but I don't see it being a strong enough unit to carry the entire defensive unit. 7-5 with the weaker schedule sounds about right. Vegas will probably have us at 6.5 or 7 on the over under.

While Northwestern didn’t have a high functioning offense last year. I think it was telling that we held them to 17 points in regulation without Josey Jewell. As many have mentioned, our Dline depth will be not only experienced but rather talent rich. Especially at the DE position.

I don’t see much of a dip in our secondary output next year. We add allot of capable young talent and 3 of our 4 starters return. Of course, our overall pass defense will be largely influenced by our ability to create a pass rush. Playing a bend but don’t break style of defense is most effective when your Dline has the ability to minimize the run and drop 7 into coverage. If you are able to couple that with an intimidating pass rush. The sky is the limit for the 2018 D. With likely an even more talented team returning in ‘19.

While Northwestern didn’t have a high functioning offense last year. I think it was telling that we held them to 17 points in regulation without Josey Jewell. As many have mentioned, our Dline depth will be not only experienced but rather talent rich. Especially at the DE position.

I don’t see much of a dip in our secondary output next year. We add allot of capable young talent and 3 of our 4 starters return. Of course, our overall pass defense will be largely influenced by our ability to create a pass rush. Playing a bend but don’t break style of defense is most effective when your Dline has the ability to minimize the run and drop 7 into coverage. If you are able to couple that with an intimidating pass rush. The sky is the limit for the 2018 D. With likely an even more talented team returning in ‘19.
Going along with your comment about the secondary .... in many respects, the safety play should be better in '18 than it was in '17. Our safeties both have more experience ... and Phil knows a lot more about what to expect from them too. Thus, not only will the players improve ... but Phil will know how to adjust things schematically to their strengths too.

The corner situation entering '18 should be comparable to what it was entering '17 ... only with more of the guys having experience. Hopefully the CBs work hard to improve ... so maybe we can have a guy do his best Desmond King or Josh Jackson impersonation. CB development will hopefully take steps forward just as long as the guys don't get complacent.

Well considering prior to last year it was the "best d-line in Parker time here" we have to assume each year is going to be hyped up. I'm with Suterman, the defense is going to be good for the foreseeable future, what is the offense going to do? We have relied far to long on the defense keeping us in 17-14 games or 14-10 games or 6-4 games. I think when the numbers were ran the offense was artistically better than the defense 1 year since KF has been here. This year that needs to change. The offense shouldn't always be excused.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/v...-he-has-best-front-four-his-tenure/104859696/

Well considering prior to last year it was the "best d-line in Parker time here" we have to assume each year is going to be hyped up. I'm with Suterman, the defense is going to be good for the foreseeable future, what is the offense going to do? We have relied far to long on the defense keeping us in 17-14 games or 14-10 games or 6-4 games. I think when the numbers were ran the offense was artistically better than the defense 1 year since KF has been here. This year that needs to change. The offense shouldn't always be excused.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/v...-he-has-best-front-four-his-tenure/104859696/
Agreed ... the big question is what we can expect from the offense.

Kirk has mentioned about he feels that the cohesion of the offensive staff seems to be improving ... and has indicated that could ultimately pay some dividends. As a fan, how will we see that manifested? Given that O'Keefe and Copeland have now worked together for a year ... will the QB and WRs be on the same wavelength more often? Given that Brian, O'Keefe, and Polasek have worked together for a year ... will that mean that we'll have more details ironed out as it relates to blocking ... both as it integrates the passing game with the running game?

Whether folks like the poster muskie or not ... he made an interesting point about how Iowa's OL seemed to approach things slightly differently as it relates to staying on their blocks, as it related to combo-blocks, and stuff like that. Is that a reflection of changes that Brian wanted to make? Or is it more a result of how Polasek was teaching them?

In addition to there being less overall "newness" on the offensive staff ... how much improvement can be made in terms of having a more developed passing O ... given that we're going to be more experienced at WR, TE, and at QB!? How about the "dimensionality" of the O? Supposing Hock and Fant improve as blockers ... that adds "dimensionality" to the O? That could and should make Iowa harder to defend. For better or worse, Brian tried to scheme things to try to get more of the O to flow through Wadley. Given how dynamic Wadley can be ... that was an understandable strategy. However, given that defenses would focus more on reducing Wadley's impact ... the Hawks had trouble mustering other threats for opposing Ds to respect. Hopefully, should guys like Toren, IKM, ISM, Fant, and Hock (among others) all develop favorably ... maybe our O will feature enough weapons to continue to make us harder to defend?

Reactions: Hawk94Mn
Going along with your comment about the secondary .... in many respects, the safety play should be better in '18 than it was in '17. Our safeties both have more experience ... and Phil knows a lot more about what to expect from them too. Thus, not only will the players improve ... but Phil will know how to adjust things schematically to their strengths too.

The corner situation entering '18 should be comparable to what it was entering '17 ... only with more of the guys having experience. Hopefully the CBs work hard to improve ... so maybe we can have a guy do his best Desmond King or Josh Jackson impersonation. CB development will hopefully take steps forward just as long as the guys don't get complacent.

Hankins could really take a big step. We should get our best safety production in some time. Hooker and Snyder are both very physical safeties and have a year of experience a piece. Gervase and Stone could compete for time and also provide great depth in case of an injury. This should help bolster our run support, something our better safeties have really excelled at. Man do I hope the linebackers are serviceable because they will have great compliments around them. Like you said, I do not believe our '18 secondary will take a step forward, rather than back.

Also, since we are breaking in new linebackers. I do believe we will see more substitutions on obvious passing downs. Hooker is the best player to have for this scenario. He has shown the ability to match up with outside recievers allowing our better corner guys to move to the slot and would still be able to exhibit his run stopping ability in the event of a draw or screen. We could then add either a 3rd corner to defend 4 wide receiver sets or add Gervase to play a true two high look.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT