ADVERTISEMENT

Good showing against Seton Hall, but glaring weaknesses. I stand by 12+ loss prediction. Limited scoring options, no front-court depth.

what-why.gif
Yes…it’s a portal….where you can get better players in positions where needed…quite a concept.
This didn’t age well, just a few hours later….
C’mon, Roy. You really changed your subject line to that?

I’ll grant you front court depth is a concern, but you actually believe this team has limited scoring options? Are you smokin’ rocks?
George is getting upset!
Yes. Teams will learn to shut down Kris and make someone else beat them. Perkins maybe but after that not much that can create off the dribble. We’ll struggle to hit 60 points in some games. I’m afraid we’re looking for 12+ losses. I’ll be here to admit I was wrong, but doubt that will be required.

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
Should have upgraded a few positions with the portal but didn’t. C- frontcourt, C+ backcourt. Duke will embarrass us by 30+. Next year’s recruiting class is pedestrian at best. The past 30+ years of futility will continue for the foreseeable future. I know, I know, the same bs I’ve heard for years, “You can’t recruit top 4* and 5* talent to the state of Iowa.” Sure, ask Iowa St that question.
We’re just a MAC program trying to imitate a Power 5 program.

All my love,
Roy (F,U)
Tom Cruise What GIF

Yes…it’s a portal….where you can get better players in positions where needed…quite a concept.

George is getting upset!
Yes. Teams will learn to shut down Kris and make someone else beat them. Perkins maybe but after that not much that can create off the dribble. We’ll struggle to hit 60 points in some games. I’m afraid we’re looking for 12+ losses. I’ll be here to admit I was wrong, but doubt that will be required.
Iowa has the #2 offense in the entire country on KenPom right now. They may have an off shooting night at some point, that happens to every team, but scoring is not going to be the issue with this team lol.

Should have upgraded a few positions with the portal but didn’t. C- frontcourt, C+ backcourt. Duke will embarrass us by 30+. Next year’s recruiting class is pedestrian at best. The past 30+ years of futility will continue for the foreseeable future. I know, I know, the same bs I’ve heard for years, “You can’t recruit top 4* and 5* talent to the state of Iowa.” Sure, ask Iowa St that question.

All my love,
Roy (F,U)
Looks like somebody is desperate to be message board relevant.

Iowa has the #2 offense in the entire country on KenPom right now. They may have an off shooting night at some point, that happens to every team, but scoring is not going to be the issue with this team lol.
And Sandfort didn't even have a good night offensively - we know full well there are going to be games where he shoots lights out.

George is getting upset!
You won't admit when you end up being wrong.

What impressed me so much last night is SH took away our 3 game and Fran adjusted. We beat them the way they wanted to play the game.
Fran said, hold my beer. It's early but we appear to be multifaceted.

Instead of using “Post Reply”. to the OP (Original Poster) of this or similar posts like this one, just type in “Here’s to the OP:”. Followed by your reply.

When you use Post Reply itreprints the OPs post and he or she must ‘get off’ on seeing their words repeated. In other words, don’t feed the monkeys when they throw feces at you.

And Sandfort didn't even have a good night offensively - we know full well there are going to be games where he shoots lights out.
Definitely. Bring Connor in to start and make him first off the bench. That will motivate him.

Agreed, scoring shouldn't be an issue, and is in fact a strength of this team. If there are concerns, they more likely have to do with:
  • With better athleticism, will this team commit to defense?
  • Related, can this team increase their defensive rebounding percentage?
  • Lack of proven depth in the front court. The starters are known talents, and Rebraca had a great game against Seton Hall, but you don't have a Kris Murray coming off the bench this year in that rotation. Foul trouble at the 5 could cause problems.
  • Like what Perkins brings to the floor in intensity, but not sold that he is a true point guard being the answer there. Certainly looks more under control this year. Development of the young talent there will be telling on the season upside.

Agreed, scoring shouldn't be an issue, and is in fact a strength of this team. If there are concerns, they more likely have to do with:
  • With better athleticism, will this team commit to defense?
  • Related, can this team increase their defensive rebounding percentage?
  • Lack of proven depth in the front court. The starters are known talents, and Rebraca had a great game against Seton Hall, but you don't have a Kris Murray coming off the bench this year in that rotation. Foul trouble at the 5 could cause problems.
  • Like what Perkins brings to the floor in intensity, but not sold that he is a true point guard being the answer there. Certainly looks more under control this year. Development of the young talent there will be telling on the season upside.
Many truth bombs in the above

1. Defense. Has always been iowas gap, no JoBo will definitely help, but Frans inane 2 foul rule = soft 1H D.
  2. Rebounding. 4 plus rebounders start, but 6 9” PMac must improve
  3. Big Deoth. Ogundele must play 2-3 min / half , as Rebraca will get into foul trouble, IOWA will need a big.
  4. PG. agree. Ulis did play 27m and most of 2H meaning Perkins isn’t full time PG,

Reactions: CyberJJ
The OP doubling down on stupidity......first,
Many truth bombs in the above

1. Defense. Has always been iowas gap, no JoBo will definitely help, but Frans inane 2 foul rule = soft 1H D.
  2. Rebounding. 4 plus rebounders start, but 6 9” PMac must improve
  3. Big Deoth. Ogundele must play 2-3 min / half , as Rebraca will get into foul trouble, IOWA will need a big.
  4. PG. agree. Ulis did play 27m and most of 2H meaning Perkins isn’t full time PG,
Agree with everything here.....except the take on Fran's 2 foul rule. It is painful when a top player has to sit, but if he's going to teach his guys to play defense without fouling, and avoiding that situation as the season goes along, you have to stick to that principal.

That said, it doesn't mean that Fran might do that differently if the game situation calls for it......

Reactions: KcTo and owenhawk

Agree with everything here.....except the take on Fran's 2 foul rule. It is painful when a top player has to sit, but if he's going to teach his guys to play defense without fouling, and avoiding that situation as the season goes along, you have to stick to that principal.

That said, it doesn't mean that Fran might do that differently if the game situation calls for it......
They are not the same team without Rebraca on the floor. Last year Fran could play both Murray's if he was out with early fouls. This year we haven't yet seen that he trusts either of the other two centers, so goes smaller. Patrick is 6'9", but plays more like a true 3 (or even 2 at times) than he does a 4.

I think the OP is slightly overboard on his prediction but probably not by much. Fran has only had one year at Iowa where he hasn't lost at least 10 games each year. Most between 13 and 11 loses, so as good as this team appears to be and I'm extremely high on this team, there's a good chance they will lose at least 10 games.
As far as Fran relying on the portal to bring in "better players", unless a situation comes up like it did for Fran to bring Filip to Iowa I think his belief is to allow his scholarship players to own the season however it turns out.
He loves to bring in players, season them for a year or two and then allow them to take ownership. Only Payton Sandford of the 9 players that he recruited received any amount of playing time in there first year at Iowa. Correct me if I'm wrong....

Reactions: intrepodor

Do you really think that the purpose is to teach good defense, with out fouling?
or
Fran just has dogma in place to auto bench a player when gets 2?
as
an Iowa player now knows he CAN play soft defense AND never sit in 1H

The result of Frans w foul dogma is he is actually conditioning them to play soft, not to play good defense without foulin

lol

If this is really how Fran “teaches his guys to play defense,” I think we have identified the source of the main problem plaguing Iowa teams for the last 13 years.

Come on, man…

Reactions: DewHawk
Do you really think that the purpose is to teach good defense, with out fouling?
or
as

The result of Frans w foul dogma is he is actually conditioning them to play soft, not to play good defense without foulin
If you watched SH in the game prior to Iowa and the Iowa game you saw a team that plays physical and aggressive defense….then in the Iowa game their starting center got called for his second foul in the first half and went to the bench. The point being that playing actively and aggressively doesn’t eliminate the need to keep players out of foul trouble for the second half. This isn’t just a practice used by Fran…..

In addition, our players are smart enough and clearly capable of playing active defense while trying to avoid committing fouls. Avoiding fouling and racking up team fouls is beneficial….much better than putting the opponent on the free throw line and having our guys in danger of fouling out, or actually sitting on the bench having fouled out when we need them playing in order to win a tough game.

Reactions: Bishop1971 and KcTo

All my love,
Roy (F,U)
Click bait

Reactions: Bishop1971
"Teams will learn to shut down Kris and make someone else beat them"

Just like they did with Keegan last year, right? 🤣 Try again, you'll figure it out.

All my love,
Roy (F,U)
Bullshit. Duke will not beat us by 30+. Do your parents know you are on the the internet?

If you watched SH in the game prior to Iowa and the Iowa game you saw a team that plays physical and aggressive defense….then in the Iowa game their starting center got called for his second foul in the first half and went to the bench. The point being that playing actively and aggressively doesn’t eliminate the need to keep players out of foul trouble for the second half. This isn’t just a practice used by Fran…..

In addition, our players are smart enough and clearly capable of playing active defense while trying to avoid committing fouls. Avoiding fouling and racking up team fouls is beneficial….much better than putting the opponent on the free throw line and having our guys in danger of fouling out, or actually sitting on the bench having fouled out when we need them playing in order to win a tough game.
Agree, “avoiding fouls and racking up teams fouls is benificial”

but at what cost?
IOWA consistently get out rebounded, gives up high opponents points/possession, high FG%….

id trade a few more fouls to see these numbers not be in the lowest percentile every year.

I’ll be here to admit I was wrong, but doubt that will be required.
You should already be apologizing for some of the ridiculous comments in your original post, and really in every post you've ever made here. You are a Hawkeye hater, plain and simple and nothing you can say will convince me otherwise. You are a one trick pony, a minor irritant that we put up with, but your shtick is getting old.

All my love,
Roy (F,U)
A new name to ignore. We do lack frontcourt depth, but if Kris and Rebraca stay healthy, they give Iowa one of the better starting frontcourts in the B1G. Backcourt is deep and talented, and need to stay aggressive. I love the incoming recruiting class...

Agree, “avoiding fouls and racking up teams fouls is benificial”

but at what cost?
IOWA consistently get out rebounded, gives up high opponents points/possession, high FG%….

id trade a few more fouls to see these numbers not be in the lowest percentile every year.
So we're sorta on the same page, maybe just reading things with a different tone. Your question, "but at what cost?" hits the nail on the head on this issue. To that specific point it is a balance of how aggressive and/or physical do you get in order to outscore the opponent (which of course is how we win the game) and how do you go about that......some very successful teams/programs adhere to what you are advocating for (MSU-Purdue-Wisconsin-others) really get after it on defense....those might be extremes and (I believe) that is what Seton Hall wants to do, they just weren't able to keep up with Iowa's free wheeling and fast paced offense.

Let me state, I wish we were better defensively and, I have been frustrated with our inability to accomplish that under Fran. That said I think, with no basketball expertise, that the ideal way to play is to play good defense without fouling while being very effective and efficient on offense. I "think" that is what Fran is trying to accomplish and is obviously better at coaching offense. All that goes to my point that the 2 foul rule doesn't cause players to play more passively...it is meant to make them play defense and avoid fouling at the same time.

Let me take that one step further.....that is why I think Fran likes to switch up defenses and will only stick with either man or zone when he feels like his team has the matchups to take advantage of that. This is also obviously predicated on his players......JBO (who in my mind was/is a great Hawkeye) did not give a lot of effort on the defensive end until his last year. He was much better at defense at that point, but still limited based on size and strength....so, when ONE of the five breaks down in Fran's system it REALLY hurts the defense.

We are now in a different era as far as our guard court....we have good size and decent athleticism that should allow for better TEAM defense based on the individual players.

or
as

Dogma!!

Plenty of good coaches utilize the same strategy. Painter, Pitino, Larranaga, Izzo etc.

Others are more liberal keeping players in like Beard, Drew, Oats, Pearl etc

Reactions: KcTo and perryhawk
We won at Seton Hall because we were the more experienced team:
We never panicked.
We followed our game plan, but adjusted to how Seton was playing
We adjusted to how the officials were calling the game.
Played team ball, one possession at a time without losing much focus.
We executed much better than Seton to finish the game.
Oh, we are better than them, but the experience shown will win us close games.

I think the OP is slightly overboard on his prediction but probably not by much. Fran has only had one year at Iowa where he hasn't lost at least 10 games each year. Most between 13 and 11 loses, so as good as this team appears to be and I'm extremely high on this team, there's a good chance they will lose at least 10 games.
As far as Fran relying on the portal to bring in "better players", unless a situation comes up like it did for Fran to bring Filip to Iowa I think his belief is to allow his scholarship players to own the season however it turns out.
He loves to bring in players, season them for a year or two and then allow them to take ownership. Only Payton Sandford of the 9 players that he recruited received any amount of playing time in there first year at Iowa. Correct me if I'm wrong....
Every year the majority of B10 teams lose 10 or more games in a season. Such is life in the meat grinder that is B10 play. Usually only the top 2 or 3 teams might avoid 10 losses by the end of the season.

Reactions: perryhawk
Dogma!!

Plenty of good coaches utilize the same strategy. Painter, Pitino, Larranaga, Izzo etc.

Others are more liberal keeping players in like Beard, Drew, Oats, Pearl etc
if Fran uses the same strategy as those coaches, and with multiple NBA players on the IOWA roster, the question I posit Then is Why is Frans Defense always very poor?
Especially in relation to those coaches?

Easy. Guard play. This year is better, so far, because of a little addition by subtraction.
I will agree that JoBo, CJ we’re extreme defensive liabilities (Oregon, Gonzaga, etc) and the addition by subtracting works, however, you would agree that Frans poor defensive metrics precede those years.

at any rate, Ulis and Perkins are both very good defenders and having them as the primary back court will be a big plus.

ADVERTISEMENT