ADVERTISEMENT

Good showing against Seton Hall, but glaring weaknesses. I stand by 12+ loss prediction. Limited scoring options, no front-court depth.

Josh will contribute this season
We have plenty of scoring so that will not be his role.
Defend, rebound, protect the paint and rim. That's it...josh can help.
I'm convinced. Buy, why isn't he playing rotation minutes?

Reactions: KcTo
I think they will need Josh to at least give 6-8 minutes per game of what you stated. I don't care if he can score. But they will need his body to defend big buys and provide fouls if needed. Hopefully rebound relatively well. Anymore that that from him would be a plus this year.

After seeing Mulvey in person last night, yikes, he's just not getting it and played very meek. Fran was LIVID late in the game with him. You could him screaming at Mulvey to REBOUND and was getting frustrated every play as Riley let other guys grab the rebound and was not aggressive at all. He finally got fed up and motioned for Kingsbury to go in for him and when Mulvey came out at time out, he was just giving it to Mulvey.

I was hopeful he would make some sort of jump this year but it appears he hasn't and if he doesn't start doing more in his opportunities, he might be in trouble.
I was watching on TV, but was focusing on JoshO and Mulvey. I saw exactly what you described, and it was disappointing.

I think Josh is what he is--slow, big, with very limited skills. He can help for a few minutes against centers, who rely on size and brute force, by keeping them from getting near the basket. Otherwise, I don't see him providing much on offense, except as an obstacle to get around setting picks.

Mulvey looked incredibly lost and not ready to play, which is hard to understand after more than a year in the program. He was a good player in HS, which is different, and came in a year early, but he should not look like someone who just stepped on to a basketball court recently. Does anyone understand how he can be so unprepared to play? Guys usually don't regress under Fran. Big guys often develop slower, but I now will be surprised if he is back next year.

Bottom line is that Fran badly needs to add an experienced Big in the off season. I really like the two incoming freshman front court players, but they will need help against B1G front lines. None of the other players coming back can effectively play 4 or 5. Patrick is tall enough, but is still probably the weakest guy on the team.

Reactions: unclesammy
Probbably not fair, but my impression of Mulvey's game last night was "disinterested"....

Probbably not fair, but my impression of Mulvey's game last night was "disinterested"....
He doesn't look like he belongs on this level athletically.

He reminds me of watching little kids play, just running up and down the court with no particular purpose in mind.

Reactions: unclesammy
I was watching on TV, but was focusing on JoshO and Mulvey. I saw exactly what you described, and it was disappointing.

I think Josh is what he is--slow, big, with very limited skills. He can help for a few minutes against centers, who rely on size and brute force, by keeping them from getting near the basket. Otherwise, I don't see him providing much on offense, except as an obstacle to get around setting picks.

Mulvey looked incredibly lost and not ready to play, which is hard to understand after more than a year in the program. He was a good player in HS, which is different, and came in a year early, but he should not look like someone who just stepped on to a basketball court recently. Does anyone understand how he can be so unprepared to play? Guys usually don't regress under Fran. Big guys often develop slower, but I now will be surprised if he is back next year.

Bottom line is that Fran badly needs to add an experienced Big in the off season. I really like the two incoming freshman front court players, but they will need help against B1G front lines. None of the other players coming back can effectively play 4 or 5. Patrick is tall enough, but is still probably the weakest guy on the team.
I agree with pretty much everything. Josh is what he is going to be. I know fans love him but he really is just a limited player who hopefully can be a positive factor in small spurts.

Fran was disgusted with Riley and kind of reiterated why he doesn't put Riley in, even until basically it is time for the walk-ons.

You are right guys usually develop under Fran but to me this likely falls on Riley in this case ... some guys just don't have the drive, competitiveness, mental toughness, etc. Riley had offers from Syracuse, Penn St, Virginia, Tech, etc. ... so it's not like other P5 schools didn't see something in him. He maybe was able to get by with his size and general skill to be a really good HS player and it was assumed he could make that physical/mental transition?

Maybe he still can but I doubt he is going to get much opportunity in big non-con or Big 10 games unless he shows a lot of improvement in practice first. The way Fran was reacting last night leads me to believe the staff sees his lack of aggressiveness and underperformance regularly.

If Riley doesn't take steps, I am sure the discussion in the off-season will be you can stay but you aren't going to play unless you show large scale improvement.

Reactions: HoustonREDHawk
No offense but nothing Josh has shown is in the same universe as the Murray's. Nothing suggests he will be a breakout player, at least not anywhere near their level.

Also, not sure what you mean about both those guys playing behind CMac? CMac hasn't started over them and he was 8th in minutes on the team last year.

And I would rather have CMac playing more minutes than Josh and it isn't even close.
LOL, That’s not at all what was put forth in my comment. Nothing remotely to suggest he will be a break out player, or that josh will ever be on the same level.

both Murray play behind CMac in 2020, recall both were on bench as CMac started and got runout of building in 1H vs Oregon.

Kris came off bench vs Richmond and played 15m while CMac came off bench and played 22. What if Kris has started and played 35…? As opposed 15….? Yea, that blunder probably cost Iowa 10 points.

CMac can defend the #5 spot, just not very well, he can only rebound and defend below the rim, that’s not where the game is played in the BigTen around the bucket. So agree, in the #5 hole , there its not even close.

LOL, That’s not at all what was put forth in my comment. Nothing remotely to suggest he will be a break out player, or that josh will ever be on the same level.

both Murray play behind CMac in 2020, recall both were on bench as CMac started and got runout of building in 1H vs Oregon.

Kris came off bench vs Richmond and played 15m while CMac came off bench and played 22. What if Kris has started and played 35…? As opposed 15….? Yea, that blunder probably cost Iowa 10 points.

CMac can defend the #5 spot, just not very well, he can only rebound and defend below the rim, that’s not where the game is played in the BigTen around the bucket. So agree, in the #5 hole , there its not even close.
Actually, it is definitely very much what you implied ... your fourth point you even suggest he might have a breakout season with CMac gone. You say Josh O is "chained to the bench".

The CMac vs Murrays discussion is a different one all together. It also is possible Kris wasn't ready for primetime as a true Freshman. But your comparison to Josh O and Murrays - and your bullet points - you imply that Fran is holding Josh O back and that CMac is the big reason why.

CMac is not going to defend many 5's ... but I would rather have Rebraca or Murray on the floor in the 5 spot and CMac defending a 3 or 4 - and providing way more other things than Josh O would any day.

As has been beat to death, Josh O has shown he can have value in short spurts bodying up bigger guys and providing a little defense and rebounding against a bigger front line. That's about it. Even when Murrays played less (Keegan in FR yr and Kris last yr), you could see the talent andthere is nothing even remotely close to what Josh O has done to suggest he is being held back in any similar way.

Right. Fran’s best defensive teams had a backcourt of Sapp and Mike G, both solid defenders. Don’t quote me, but I believe the AdjD during those years was in the high 20’s, low 30’s. We just need guys to go can actually stay in from if their man consistently. Also props to Woodbury for anchoring down the middle and being a solid rebounder.
The woody, Mike G, Sapp teams were pretty Good defensively. Unfortunately, they were Frans worst offensive teams and we’re prone to a lot of scoring droughts.

Reactions: owenhawk
If Mulvey continues to be a non viable player this year, Fran may need to steer him to Siena or Stony Creek closer to home. I can live with Josh for 1 more year but having a lazy non contributing scholarship player for 2 more years on the roster is unacceptable.
I'm watching the Northwestern/Auburn game and the Northwestern's 7 foot center, in his 3rd year, is defiantly starting to impact the game in a big way.
I'd hate to give up on Riley but maybe the college game at this level is just too much for him. Iowa needs a 7 foot player that controls the middle, rebounds, blocks or alters shots, not someone that warms a bench seat the entire game.

Last edited:
Actually, it is definitely very much what you implied ... your fourth point you even suggest he might have a breakout season with CMac gone. You say Josh O is "chained to the bench".

The CMac vs Murrays discussion is a different one all together. It also is possible Kris wasn't ready for primetime as a true Freshman. But your comparison to Josh O and Murrays - and your bullet points - you imply that Fran is holding Josh O back and that CMac is the big reason why.

CMac is not going to defend many 5's ... but I would rather have Rebraca or Murray on the floor in the 5 spot and CMac defending a 3 or 4 - and providing way more other things than Josh O would any day.

As has been beat to death, Josh O has shown he can have value in short spurts bodying up bigger guys and providing a little defense and rebounding against a bigger front line. That's about it. Even when Murrays played less (Keegan in FR yr and Kris last yr), you could see the talent andthere is nothing even remotely close to what Josh O has done to suggest he is being held back in any similar way.
Ogundele being chained to the bench this year like Murray’s were previous to 2yrs with all 3 playing behind CAmc is a truth, it cant be argued As untrue.

we aren’t saying anything close to your characterization that Ogundele will have a break out season like the Murray’s if he’s allowed to play more. That was never put forward.

the fact is IOWA success vs teams with power bigs will depend upon Fran developing those capabi lies, Ogundele is one of those, in a role that CMac physically can not do. CMac can’t rebound above the rim, he can’t defend above the rim, he can’t defend the deep post big big, and he can’t be a scoring threat low,

ogundele can do this better, not at all big ten level, but has shown he can, and chaining him to the bench, and playing him in only garbage time is a huge blunder

what-why.gif
I’ll hang up, and listen to your answer. Not going to the portal to get more help on the front court is inexcusable and the reason this team will just be another mediocre team. TCU is no world beater but exposed all the problems I mentioned.

All my love,

Roy

I’ll hang up, and listen to your answer. Not going to the portal to get more help on the front court is inexcusable and the reason this team will just be another mediocre team. TCU is no world beater but exposed all the problems I mentioned.

All my love,

Roy
TCU is a really good team and was ranked 14th in the preseason AP poll for a reason

All my love,

Roy
As frustrated as I am, and believe me, I am - its just one game.

Iowa has a few games to adjust and get the ship reoriented before B1G play really gets going.

I'm not jumping on the 12+ losses bandwagon just yet. Pipe down.

All my love,

Roy
You do have a solid point there.

Iowa has some good players just not enough

That was a clear difference between a team that uses the portal and one that doesn't.

Reactions: curtisj57

Iowa has a few games to adjust and get the ship reoriented before B1G play really gets going.

That bandwagon will get full quick…don’t wait too long!

It’s time to jump on that 12+ loss bandwagon. Once again, a team loaded with lower level D1 talent. Basically a bunch of backups that wouldn’t start for most P5 teams.

I was spot in though boys! The program is still irrelevant. Averaging 12 losses per year over the past 25 years….woo hooo!!!
Your negativity and predictability are world class, Roy. I guess we all need something to be proud off, no matter how pathetic.

Reactions: perryhawk
I was spot in though boys! The program is still irrelevant. Averaging 12 losses per year over the past 25 years….woo hooo!!!
I'm so happy for u that iowa finished 5th instead of second in the big. It really seems to give you a lot of joy but consider for a second that we had 2 games we lost because of a freak night of freethrows not going down. Win one game and we are 2nd in the conference. Maybe wait till the end of the season to bash Iowa. You trolls drive me nuts. Pretend to be Iowa fans then celebrate when they lose. Go root for isu.

ADVERTISEMENT