ADVERTISEMENT

Goodbye Say Hey Kid...Willie Mays has passed at 93

tarheelbybirth

HR King
Apr 17, 2003
He was the oldest living Hall of Famer.

https://www.newsweek.com/sports/mlb...as-baseballs-oldest-living-hall-famer-1914584

Willie_Mays_makes_The_Catch_an_amazing_overtheshoulder_gra-1.gif

Last edited:
The wife and I were listening to the Cubs game as we drove to Minnesota tonight, and when they announced the news Pat Hughes was in his mid game break. I wondered how he’d react considering he grew up in SF and was a fan of Mays. He gave some wonderful remarks about what he meant to him personally and to the game.
Then, he slyly said to Ron Coomer, “Hey Coom, you were an all star once, right”? Ron said yes, perhaps in on the ribbing. Hughes then said, “How would it have felt to go to 23 more all star games”?
The case legitimately can be made that he was the best ever.

Greatest of all time in my book.
I agree. Got into a huge argument with a buddy a couple months ago about this. He says bonds is better. Alcohol may have been involved in making the conversation go on much longer than it should have

Hit with power and average, great outfielder, great arm, and very good base stealer. Best all around ball player to ever play the game IMO.

Missing two years to military service and playing in Candlestick Park robbed him of at least 100 home runs and the career title.
polo grounds also wasn't great for hrs.

Reactions: lucas80 and nu2u
Not sure if this is a bad attempt to be funny, but there are people who die young and it's tragic. This is not one of those cases.

Mays lived a long and incredibly remarkable life.
If you skim past his posts like I do there is a 99.99 percent chance you didn’t miss anything useful.

• Haha
Reactions: BrianNole777
Who here saw him play in his prime? He played before my time, but I assume a few of the older posters did. My dad said he was amazing to watch even on a black and white TV

Reactions: BrianNole777
Who here saw him play in his prime? He played before my time, but I assume a few of the older posters did. My dad said he was amazing to watch even on a black and white TV
I remember Willie hitting 4 home runs in a game vs. the Braves on a Saturday, Game of the Week telecast. The guys was phenomenal…and played in the worst ball park God ever made during his San Francisco days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT