ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Goodwin considering football option

Apr 8, 2003
Goodwin considering football option
Tom Kakert | Editor

b1k3auxklkzfvr5ht0lo

Jordan Goodwin has offers from Iowa for both football and basketball
Rivals.com

Jordan Goodwin is a Top 100 basketball prospect in the Class of 2017. He has offers from many of the top hoops programs in the Midwest.

On Sunday, he became a potential football prospect as well. The 6-foot-3 and 210 pound athlete from Belleville, IL made his way to Iowa City for the Hawkeye football junior day and left with a scholarship offer from Kirk Ferentz.

“I talked to Coach Ferentz and he said they really like my potential playing football and he offered me a scholarship,” Goodwin said. “The Iowa coaches said they think I can play tight end for them and they have put a lot of guys in the NFL at the position.”

Goodwin says that he watched the Iowa Football team last year and says he’s a big fan of Iowa All American Desmond King.

It’s rare when you see the same school offer the same prospect in both sports, but Iowa is the first to do this with Goodwin, who was impressed by what he saw on his visit.

“I really liked what I saw on the visit. The facilities were great and the town was really nice. The coaches treated us very well and I liked what they told me about the program,” Goodwin said. “I think it helps Iowa with whatever sport I decide to play in college.”

That will be the question now for Goodwin, who was also being recruited by Northern Illinois and Wyoming in football, would he consider playing football or basketball or perhaps both at the college level?

“I’m definitely not going to try and play both. I don’t think you can do that and give your best to both sports. I’m open to football for sure. Right now I’m not thinking too much about it,” he said.

Iowa also has a tie to Goodwin in the form of two future Hawkeyes. He played AAU basketball with future Hawkeye Tyler Cook and he’s also friends with 2017 football standout A.J. Epenesa.

“Ever since Iowa offered me in basketball, Tyler has been texting me just about every day telling me to come to Iowa with him,’ Goodwin says. “A.J. and I are good friends and he saw that I got the football offer and he’s reached out to me too. Having those guys at Iowa is something that makes a difference for me.”

Goodwin is still finishing up his high school season. His Althoff High School team is still alive in the state tournament in 3A in the state of Illinois. This spring he plans on continuing playing with the St. Louis Eagles AAU program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News