ADVERTISEMENT

GOP Rep Backs Raising Social Security Age: “People Come Up To Me, They Actually Want To Work Longer”

NoleATL

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2007
1. He's a lying sack of sheet. How do we know for sure? He's a GQP moving his mouth.
2. At what age are people forced to stop working and forced file for their social security benefits?
3. He just wants to raise the age so they don't have to raise the income ceiling at which time paying into it stops
4. Prolly a Pepsi but the search sucks

The American Independent reports:

Republican Rep. Rick Allen of Georgia said that the way to handle problems with Social Security and to increase wealth is for people to work longer and retire later. Allen said that his constituents have told him that that is exactly what they want to do. “People come up to me, they actually want to work longer,” Allen said.
“Well, you know, if people want to work longer, maybe you need to give them incentive to do it. That’s the way to solve every one of these problems, by the way, and actually grow wealth at the same time.” Pointing to his head, Allen concludes, “It just takes that right there.”

1. He's a lying sack of sheet. How do we know for sure? He's a GQP moving his mouth.
2. At what age are people forced to stop working and forced file for their social security benefits?
3. He just wants to raise the age so they don't have to raise the income ceiling at which time paying into it stops

SS pays such a pittance people actually do want to work longer. I am not sure why some ignore those facts.

No need to hate on the guy, to keep the program solvent something will have to be done in the near future,.. Combination of raising the entitlement age along with an increase in withholding is the most likely scenario.

Reactions: abby97 and goldmom
No need to hate on the guy, to keep the program solvent something will have to be done in the near future,.. Combination of raising the entitlement age along with an increase in withholding is the most likely scenario.

I think most people are mocking the fact that he is claiming that people are telling him they want to work for longer.

“Well, you know, if people want to work longer, maybe you need to give them incentive to do it."

That is the most non sequitur thing I've heard this year. Want kinda = incentive, no Representative?

Reactions: BelemNole

Wait??? I just turned 65 and planned on working for another year and a half. Can I NOT do that?

Why not? What he said is stupid.

With tears in their eyes?

Raise the cap is the answer. Why don't we have all these battles out now and then tie them all to inflation - cap on SS, minimum wage, individual deduction, etc.

Reactions: goldmom
Raise the payroll tax cap. $147,000 is way too low.
Dems should jump on taxing “the rich”, right? It should be set at $200K at least.
Boomers are continuing to work past retirement age. A little over 30% of us have at least a part time job. Retirement can be boring if you’re a person who likes having something to do.
I’m in favor of raising the minimum retirement age and also of raising the mandatory age at which one must begin collecting SSI.
I’m not opposed to raising the ceiling for SSI earnings tax either. I think it should be on the table to keep the system solvent.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Anyone else remember LC's lectures on SS from 10-15 years ago? Usually with WWJD/zogby/parser.

It basically went like this:

- Raising the income cap doesn't fix SS, because then benefits are also paid out based on higher contributions.
- If you don't pay higher benefits to match the additional contributions then it's no longer social security, it would be some form of welfare.

The old days when LC got argue about policy instead of what he had to do with Trump/MAGA.

Reactions: srams21 and lucas80
Just imagine if R’s didn’t throw veiled racist shitfits over the southern border and we could add workers and subsequently SS contributions……
A number of those folks want to be paid in cash off the record and employers continue to cooperate with that.
Just imagine.

An issue with raising the retirement age is that not all careers are created equally. Physically, some jobs just aren’t made for older people. EMS is a young persons profession. Many have pensions, but for how long?

My proposal is to make Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid taxes payable on unearned income. Capital gains, interest, and dividend income. Lottery winnings. All that kind of income.

Anyone else remember LC's lectures on SS from 10-15 years ago? Usually with WWJD/zogby/parser.

It basically went like this:

- Raising the income cap doesn't fix SS, because then benefits are also paid out based on higher contributions.
- If you don't pay higher benefits to match the additional contributions then it's no longer social security, it would be some form of welfare.

The old days when LC got argue about policy instead of what he had to do with Trump/MAGA.

(Chris Collinsworth voice) now there's a guy absolutely no one misses.

I'm guessing those polled were of the age where they wouldn't be impacted by the 'gradual' age increase:

3. Gradually raising the retirement age​

• Share in support: 75%
  • Democrats in support: 76%
  • Republicans in support: 75%

(Chris Collinsworth voice) now there's a guy absolutely no one misses.
I miss how he warned us in that sonorous tone of his about big government, and Lois Lerner. Then he sold out completely and became a caricature of all things MAGA. At one time he had interesting things to say about pop culture, food, and US history. Then, the crazy set in.

Keep in mind that Allen starts accumulating a nice pension after 6 years of service in Congress, and gets full benefits after 18 years. His work experience is nothing like that of his constituents.

Reactions: NoleATL
I'm guessing those polled were of the age where they wouldn't be impacted by the 'gradual' age increase:

3. Gradually raising the retirement age​

• Share in support: 75%
  • Democrats in support: 76%
  • Republicans in support: 75%
Raising the retirement age is complicated.

When social security was created life expectancy was 61 for men...65 for women.

Now it's 77.

I think some adjustments are in order. That said...there are manual labor type jobs where working to 70 isn't practical...but there desk jobs that it'd be reasonable.

Kind of conflicted on the subject.

Raising the retirement age is complicated.

When social security was created life expectancy was 61 for men...65 for women.

Now it's 77.

I think some adjustments are in order. That said...there are manual labor type jobs where working to 70 isn't practical...but there desk jobs that it'd be reasonable.

Kind of conflicted on the subject.
There’s another issue with extending the age of full retirement. Joe works his desk job an extra three years from 67 to 70 because they extended the full retirement age. Now, Julie doesn't have access to Joe's job because he is still working in that position. When one person works longer it fills a job that a younger person needs.

There needs to be a decent health insurance path available for those 55 and older who want to retire but need health insurance. Allow those people to buy into Medicare.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT