ADVERTISEMENT

GOP Rep. Cory Mills (R-FLA) hands out grenades to House members

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Newly elected Rep. Cory Mills (R-Fla.) passed out grenades Thursday to other members of Congress, along with a note on his office letterhead emphasizing that the ordnance was made in Florida.
“I am honored to be a part of the Armed Services and Foreign Affairs Committees,” Mills wrote. “In that spirit, it is my pleasure to give you a 40mm grenade, made for a MK19 grenade launcher. These are manufactured in the Sunshine State and first developed in the Vietnam War.”

At the bottom of the letter was a postscript noting that the grenades are inert.
Accompanying the letter was a grenade stamped with the GOP logo, according to a photograph posted on Twitter by Daily Mail reporter Morgan Phillips.

A representative for Mills confirmed that the photo was accurate.

“Per the letter, the grenades are inert, and were cleared through all security metrics,” Mills spokesman Juan Ayala said in an email. “I just wish they tagged our official account.”

After the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection, metal detectors were installed outside the House floor for the first time, though some GOP lawmakers made a point of regularly flouting them. The metal detectors were removed earlier this month, at the start of the 118th Congress, as the Republican majority exercised its newfound power.
Mills won election to represent Florida’s 7th Congressional District in November, flipping the seat formerly held by Rep. Stephanie Murphy (D-Fla.), a member of the House select committee that investigated the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol by a pro-Trump mob.

Mills, who was endorsed by former president Donald Trump, could not be more different from Murphy. He is among several new House members who deny that President Biden legitimately won the 2020 presidential election. A veteran and a defense contractor, Mills also bragged in his campaign that he “sold tear gas used on Black Lives Matter protesters.”

Visitors to the Capitol are prohibited from bringing firearms, weapons and explosive devices. Lawmakers are exempt from the ban on carrying guns on the Capitol grounds thanks to 1967 Capitol Police Board regulations.
Members of Congress may keep guns in their offices and can transport them within the complex if the weapons are “unloaded and securely wrapped.” But they cannot bring guns into the House and Senate chambers.

In the weeks after the Jan. 6 attack, House Democrats revived a bill to ban their colleagues from carrying guns on Capitol grounds.
“When I brought this up with colleagues in the past, most were surprised to know that members could do whatever they wanted with guns,” Rep. Jared Huffman (D-Calif.) said then. “But I think there has been a false sense of security that nothing bad would happen. The events of recent days have totally changed that.”

Wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those...

Have a couple 20mm and 30mm rounds at the house. Inert projectile and propellent removed.

It's kind of a thing in the AF for going away's and award ceremonies...

Newly elected Rep. Cory Mills (R-Fla.) passed out grenades Thursday to other members of Congress, along with a note on his office letterhead emphasizing that the ordnance was made in Florida.
“I am honored to be a part of the Armed Services and Foreign Affairs Committees,” Mills wrote. “In that spirit, it is my pleasure to give you a 40mm grenade, made for a MK19 grenade launcher. These are manufactured in the Sunshine State and first developed in the Vietnam War.”

At the bottom of the letter was a postscript noting that the grenades are inert.
Accompanying the letter was a grenade stamped with the GOP logo, according to a photograph posted on Twitter by Daily Mail reporter Morgan Phillips.

A representative for Mills confirmed that the photo was accurate.

“Per the letter, the grenades are inert, and were cleared through all security metrics,” Mills spokesman Juan Ayala said in an email. “I just wish they tagged our official account.”

After the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection, metal detectors were installed outside the House floor for the first time, though some GOP lawmakers made a point of regularly flouting them. The metal detectors were removed earlier this month, at the start of the 118th Congress, as the Republican majority exercised its newfound power.
Mills won election to represent Florida’s 7th Congressional District in November, flipping the seat formerly held by Rep. Stephanie Murphy (D-Fla.), a member of the House select committee that investigated the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol by a pro-Trump mob.

Mills, who was endorsed by former president Donald Trump, could not be more different from Murphy. He is among several new House members who deny that President Biden legitimately won the 2020 presidential election. A veteran and a defense contractor, Mills also bragged in his campaign that he “sold tear gas used on Black Lives Matter protesters.”

Visitors to the Capitol are prohibited from bringing firearms, weapons and explosive devices. Lawmakers are exempt from the ban on carrying guns on the Capitol grounds thanks to 1967 Capitol Police Board regulations.
Members of Congress may keep guns in their offices and can transport them within the complex if the weapons are “unloaded and securely wrapped.” But they cannot bring guns into the House and Senate chambers.

In the weeks after the Jan. 6 attack, House Democrats revived a bill to ban their colleagues from carrying guns on Capitol grounds.
“When I brought this up with colleagues in the past, most were surprised to know that members could do whatever they wanted with guns,” Rep. Jared Huffman (D-Calif.) said then. “But I think there has been a false sense of security that nothing bad would happen. The events of recent days have totally changed that.”

America is a circus and our clowns come from Florida.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Looked for a picture and apparently they sell inert 30mm rounds on Amazon...

71tBJEUm9IL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

Silly but hardly the silliest thing that's been done at congress.

As far as the gun's policy I don't think that it's a bad one. If I was a member of congress on January 6th I would have wanted to have my gun while I was in my office.

That said they shouldn't need to carry them on the house or senate floor.

Wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those...

Have a couple 20mm and 30mm rounds at the house. Inert projectile and propellent removed.

It's kind of a thing in the AF for going away's and award ceremonies...
That's kinda cool and fitting for the military.
How about an office job which is supposedly slightly more serious and involves doing the work of the people versus creating your own brand?

ADVERTISEMENT