ADVERTISEMENT

Gov. Kim Reynolds allocates $12.5 million for permanent Field of Dreams stadium

The Movie is 33 years old.

Go ahead and let us know when it's going to be "no longer popular". Do you think kiddies aren't familiar with this movie? (they are - and the ones that weren't aware before sure as hell are now since they have MLB games being played there and broadcast nationally with all the fanfare directly from the movie)

Gone With the Wind was filmed in 1939.

That's the point.
Well most movies eventually aren't as popular as they once were. 50 years from now, FOD won't have nearly as many fans.

The people at the Feild of Dreams should be able to do whatever they want, including building a shrine to a bad movie. Spending federal dollars on it is completely stupid.
Especially now that people like Frank Thomas are involved financially.

Pumping tax $$$ into this isn't necessary.

Reactions: SSG T
Subtle brag. I hit one in the corn in a slowpitch tourney a few years ago. I was surprised how much smaller the field actually is than a baseball field would be.

TV makes it look much bigger.
I think I saw your HR on SportsCenter! :D

I have mixed feelings on the big developments on going. But I do like tourism and I live 20 mins from the field.

what’s interesting is Frank Thomas just announced this afternoon that MLB will not play there next year, so no third in a row. This is due to all the planned construction. How does this impact?

If this is the state’s top tourism attraction, then that’s pretty damn sad. Most Iowans haven’t bothered to go see it, why would others visit from out of state?
Honestly, outside of visiting for an Iowa football game and Field of Dreams, I can’t think of a single thing I’d visit Iowa for. We really enjoyed Dubuque, but it’s not enough of a draw for us to come back unless the kids were playing a game at Field of Dreams or we miraculously got tickets to one of the MLB games.

Well most movies eventually aren't as popular as they once were. 50 years from now, FOD won't have nearly as many fans.
It's been 33 Fing years already. What part of that do you not understand? Go ahead and find some dumbass that's never seen or heard of Field of Dreams. Good luck in your quest.

Not a fan of Reynolds but this is good for Iowa. We send 40B in aid to Ukraine and nobody blinks an eye. But because of politics, Dems are critical of $12.5M being spent at home. Field of Dreams is one of the few, cool things Iowa has to offer.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
It's been 33 Fing years already. What part of that do you not understand? Go ahead and find some dumbass that's never seen or heard of Field of Dreams. Good luck in your quest.

Oh I get it. And your favorite song is Cats in the Cradle for some reason too probably.

Besides some big games actually being played there is nothing they can build on that site that is going to hold people’s attention for more than 30 minutes.

which means you might hit McDonald’s on the way out of town.

a big complex of little league diamonds is going to struggle against the complexes in metro areas that actually have things to do between games and at night.

Reactions: MitchLL
I'm not talking about right now. I'm talking in 20, 30, or 50 years.

Have you heard of all the movies from the 1950s? Because that's what will eventually happen to this movie. What part of that do you not understand?

If Frank Thomas and friends can’t get future MLB games played there…they can stick a fork in the popularity of it being sustainable.

The Movie is 33 years old.

Go ahead and let us kn
ow when it's going to be "no longer popular". Do you think kiddies aren't familiar with this movie? (they are - and the ones that weren't aware before sure as hell are now since they have MLB games being played there and broadcast nationally with all the fanfare directly from the movie)

Gone With the Wind was filmed in 1939.

That's the point.

It's obvious not everyone thinks Field of Dreams was a good movie. Matter of taste. How many movies have multi-year major league sport events created in remote venues based on them? I'd say this is the 1st.

So, satisfy your critique, but Field of Dreams will perpetuate itself and Dyersville will be a popular stop for travelers. St Louis has a ridiculous archy thing. Seattle; a Space(?) Needle. People stop to see a the "Largest Ball of Twine" and "Hog Scald Hollow".

Field of Dreams is no brainer.

I'm not talking about right now. I'm talking in 20, 30, or 50 years.

Have you heard of all the movies from the 1950s? Because that's what will eventually happen to this movie. What part of that do you not understand?
There are certain movies that stand the test of time. We shall see, but I think FOD is one of them. You don’t have to have heard of all of the movies from the 1950’s, but many of these are very well remembered.

A Streetcar Named Desire
High Noon
A Bridge on the River Kwai
Peter Pan
Ben Hur
Shane
Rebel Without a Cause
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

When do you think those movies will be forgotten?

There are certain movies that stand the test of time. We shall see, but I think FOD is one of them. You don’t have to have heard of all of the movies from the 1950’s, but many of these are very well remembered.

A Streetcar Named Desire
High Noon
Peter Pan
Ben Hur
Shane
Rebel Without a Cause
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

Oooh I know. We should build a streetcar system in IC for game days and dedicate it to Tennessee Williams.

A Streetcar Named Desire
High Noon
Peter Pan
Ben Hur
Shane
Rebel Without a Cause
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

2 things

1) While those movies aren't "forgotten" they surely aren't well known among the average or casual American. I bet if you had an event center or tourist spot based around those movies, it wouldn't be nearly as popular. That's because like music, movie popularity is based upon what you grew up with. Most of the people who grew up with these movies when they were released are now dead. So yes, while FOD won't be "forgotten" it won't have the same significance with as large of an audience 30 or 40 years from now.

2) FOD is a solid movie but it is not in the same pantheon as some of those you mentioned in most people's opinions.

2 things

1) While those movies aren't "forgotten" they surely aren't well known among the average or casual American. I bet if you had an event center or tourist spot based around those movies, it wouldn't be nearly as popular. That's because like music, movie popularity is based upon what you grew up with. Most of the people who grew up with these movies when they were released are now dead. So yes, while FOD won't be "forgotten" it won't have the same significance with as large of an audience 30 or 40 years from now.

2) FOD is a solid movie but it is not in the same pantheon as some of those you mentioned in most people's opinions.
That’s where you and I differ. I think FOD is in the same pantheon as some of those. It was nominated for “Best Picture”. In 2017, FOD was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress.

IDK, maybe you don’t like or appreciate FOD like others do. It does appear that many on the left in this thread don‘t like this spending because they won’t support anything Reynolds does.

My thinking is, Iowa doesn’t have much, but we will always have, “Is this heaven?”. “No, it’s Iowa.” That will live on for a very long time.

That’s where you and I differ. I think FOD is in the same pantheon as some of those. It was nominated for “Best Picture”. In 2017, FOD was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress.

IDK, maybe you don’t like or appreciate FOD like others do. It does appear that many on the left in this thread don‘t like this spending because they won’t support anything Reynolds does.

My thinking is, Iowa doesn’t have much, but we will always have, “Is this heaven?”. “No, it’s Iowa.” That will live on for a very long time.
My thoughts on FOD has nothing to do with Reynolds. I haven't mentioned anything about politics in this thread. You did.

Also, even if FOD is in that pantheon my first point still very much stands. I don't run into people often who talk about Ben-hur or Citizen Kane. I'm sure they have heard of those movies and maybe even seen them but likely they don't hold a special place for them because ... well they weren't alive when those films had the impact they did.

Whether or not you want to admit it, time marches on. Eventually FOD will be looked at the same way. Certainly a classic and a film people will have heard of and possibly even viewed, but not one that holds the same special remembrance that it does for many now.

Honestly, outside of visiting for an Iowa football game and Field of Dreams, I can’t think of a single thing I’d visit Iowa for. We really enjoyed Dubuque, but it’s not enough of a draw for us to come back unless the kids were playing a game at Field of Dreams or we miraculously got tickets to one of the MLB games.
The State Fair is just OK, but definitely not my cup of tea. If someone asked me for one thing to do in Iowa, I would recommend visiting NE Iowa in the Driftless Area, especially if you're an outdoor enthusiast that likes to fish. Some great topography, Effigy Mounds National Monument, some excellent hiking, kayaking, canoeing and smallmouth bass, walleye and trout fishing throughout. By far my favorite part of the state AINEC.

Tell me a bigger driver of tourism in iowa right now than Field of Dreams.

GTY_kinnick_stadium2_cf_160623_4x5_992.jpg

My thoughts on FOD has nothing to do with Reynolds. I haven't mentioned anything about politics in this thread. You did.

Also, even if FOD is in that pantheon my first point still very much stands. I don't run into people often who talk about Ben-hur or Citizen Kane. I'm sure they have heard of those movies and maybe even seen them but likely they don't hold a special place for them because ... well they weren't alive when those films had the impact they did.

Whether or not you want to admit it, time marches on. Eventually FOD will be looked at the same way. Certainly a classic and a film people will have heard of and possibly even viewed, but not one that holds the same special remembrance that it does for many now.
Agree to disagree. Cheers.

Reactions: srams21
ADVERTISEMENT