ADVERTISEMENT

Gowdy on the Mueller investigation

Hawk8595

HR Heisman
Dec 3, 2008
I never imagined that Gowdy was a RINO.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/18/politics/trey-gowdy-john-dowd/index.html

Outgoing Rep. Trey Gowdy on Sunday bristled at President Donald Trump's attorney John Dowd calling for the Justice Department to end the special counsel probe.
"If you have an innocent client, Mr. Dowd, act like it," the South Carolina Republican said on "Fox News Sunday."

Judiciary committees, said he believed Dowd had done the President "a disservice" by releasing a statement saying he prays that Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein will end the investigation led by former FBI Director Robert Mueller. Gowdy also spent six years as a federal prosecutor before being elected to Congress.
He noted that outside of the question of potential coordination between Trump's associates and Russia to influence the 2016 election, the special counsel probe was focusing on other matters of national concern, namely Russian attempts to interfere in the 2016 election.
"That is supremely important, and it has nothing to do with collusion," Gowdy said.

Asked about comments on the probe from Trump, who Sunday morning was continuing to tweet his frustration, Gowdy offered similar thoughts.

"If the allegation is collusion with the Russians, and there is no evidence of that, and you are innocent of that, act like it," Gowdy said.
He added later in the interview, "If you've done nothing wrong, you should want the investigation to be as fulsome and thorough as possible.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I thought that if Trump was popular then maybe the GOP resistance to him would shrivel.

What really amazes me is that Trump's approval ratings have been in the toilet since March 2017 and the GOP keeps getting smashed in elections, but still so few have come out against him.

It's essential that in the House mid-terms the GOP suffers the biggest electoral wipe-out in modern history.

he is talking about letting the investigation play out so stuff on hills and Obama comes to light

I thought that if Trump was popular then maybe the GOP resistance to him would shrivel.

What really amazes me is that Trump's approval ratings have been in the toilet since March 2017 and the GOP keeps getting smashed in elections, but still so few have come out against him.

It's essential that in the House mid-terms the GOP suffers the biggest electoral wipe-out in modern history.
no it's just that the media tells you that. not that it's so

Yeah, he left that out. :rolleyes:
he left out trump too, and collusion, notice that? he's talking about letting the investigation play out. because trump is innocent so let it run its course. so far the course has been to uncover Obama era stuff

He added later in the interview, "If you've done nothing wrong, you should want the investigation to be as fulsome and thorough as possible.

Narrator: But President Trump had, indeed, done something wrong, and would continue to take every action possible to stymie the investigation...

no it's just that the media tells you that. not that it's so

oit's "media"

MdaXnW.gif

Fox News, Breibert, Rush and Alex Jones are still with Trump and that is why the GOP is as well. They are all chicken shits plus Trump is a great distraction to cover the greed the GOP is attempting in congress.

Gowdy has had a "come to God" moment, by chance? I just have to think he's got other motives for saying this.

Or... maybe he's beginning to feel guilty about spending excessive time and $$$ on a Benghazi investigation that was a complete waste of energy.

Gowdy has had a "come to God" moment, by chance? I just have to think he's got other motives for saying this.

Or... maybe he's beginning to feel guilty about spending excessive time and $$$ on a Benghazi investigation that was a complete waste of energy.

I think the poster above nailed it:

Trey isn't on the Russian payroll

AND

Trey has pieced together who probably IS....

Just as a "by the way"...those of us old enough to remember will recall that is was finally the Republicans, not Democrats, that finally put Richard Nixon out to pasture.

Another reminder, it was never really shown that Nixon knew anything of the break-in prior to it occurring. He was nailed for Obstruction of Justice, partially for ordering three different people to fire the Special Counsel, in addition to abuse of power and Contempt of Congress.

There were many patriots that investigated Watergate in a bi-partisan manner, but none more earnestly than Sen. Howard Baker (R) Tennessee. And I think this six seconds was the turning point. Not factually so much as politically.

Another reminder, it was never really shown that Nixon knew anything of the break-in prior to it occurring. He was nailed for Obstruction of Justice, partially for ordering three different people to fire the Special Counsel, in addition to abuse of power and Contempt of Congress.
This is correct. If the truth be told Nixon knew nothing about the break in but people working for him knew what he wanted.

Because they realized that they leave the sinking ship or go down with it. Today's GOP won't admit they're even on a ship.

Oh, the Republicans wern't predisposed to believe Nixon was involved in the cover-up. And they realized the political damage to the GOP to be sure. But the fact remains that once they understood the truth, they acted.

Now, some would say, and I could argue this flat or round myself, that todays GOP is not our father;\'s GOP. But I prefer to believe, even if it ends up being a pollyanish fantasy, that in the end the modern day Republican party takes their responsabilities just as serious as the previous generation did.

Oh, the Republicans wern't predisposed to believe Nixon was involved in the cover-up. And they realized the political damage to the GOP to be sure. But the fact remains that once they understood the truth, they acted.

Now, some would say, and I could argue this flat or round myself, that todays GOP is not our father;\'s GOP. But I prefer to believe, even if it ends up being a pollyanish fantasy, that in the end the modern day Republican party takes their responsabilities just as serious as the previous generation did.

I lived through that time and don't remember for sure but was the GOP ready to impeach before the tapes were discovered? I doubt it. It was late in the scandal when they surfaced.

So you want to screw over the American People? You want to force 7M poor people to pay a penalty to the IRS? Why do you not care about them? Trump just removed that penalty on people that pretty much can not afford it, the poor.

I lived through that time and don't remember for sure but was the GOP ready to impeach before the tapes were discovered? I doubt it. It was late in the scandal when they surfaced.
The Slow Burn Podcast gives about a good of a recap of Watergate that I have ever heard. I highly recommend it. The GOP and most of the nation felt that Watergate was a minor story early on, only through some crazy twists and turns did the truth finally leak out. There are a lot of parallels to today.

http://www.slate.com/articles/slate_plus/watergate.html

Last edited:

The ones who do are called RINO's by the Trumptards

But I prefer to believe, even if it ends up being a pollyanish fantasy, that in the end the modern day Republican party takes their responsabilities just as serious as the previous generation did.

The difference this time, is that we MAY have members of Congress (likely Republican, but perhaps both parties) who are essentially "being paid by" those that "broke in to the Watergate". Members of Congress who have financial ties to, or are beholden to Russian oligarchs aren't likely to live up to their Constitutional responsibilities. For more than just the "money" reasons....

Some were. But my point is that we do not have the evidence yet to impeach Trump. But when, or if, it is revealed I think you will see more Republican than you might think step forward and do the right thing.

Let me add this - if the Mueller thing is finished in say late summer/or early fall, the timiming will likely be very bad for the GOP as a blue wave will sweep over the land like we have not seen since 1964.

Some were. But my point is that we do not have the evidence yet to impeach Trump. But when, or if, it is revealed I think you will see more Republican than you might think step forward and do the right thing.

Let me add this - if the Mueller thing is finished in say late summer/or early fall, the timiming will likely be very bad for the GOP as a blue wave will sweep over the land like we have not seen since 1964.
Most elected Republicans would love to take out Trump.

Bull. Most Republicans I know remain as willfully ignorant of what Trump is as they possibly can.
The elected ones, especially in the Senate. If the dems take the House they will impeach Trump and the Rs in the Senate will help convict him.

Trey is just like any other rat jumping off a sinking ship. He’s just hoping that if he’s one of the first that he’ll survive the impending shitstorm

There are a lot of Republicans that are neck deep in this Russia stuff. Just looking at how the NRA was funded and now the Cambridge Analytica situation it is clear that significant numbers (all?) were at a minimum unwittingly funded by foreign dollars, much of it from Russia. Worse case scenario being they knew full well where the money was coming from. At any rate, they are hoping they can keep that from coming out. It's the simplest explanation on why they are being so complicit.

There are a lot of Republicans that are neck deep in this Russia stuff. Just looking at how the NRA was funded and now the Cambridge Analytica situation it is clear that significant numbers (all?) were at a minimum unwittingly funded by foreign dollars, much of it from Russia. Worse case scenario being they knew full well where the money was coming from. At any rate, they are hoping they can keep that from coming out. It's the simplest explanation on why they are being so complicit.

Certainly more plausible than "the entire FBI and DOJ are in Hillary Clinton's pocket"

ADVERTISEMENT