ADVERTISEMENT

Grammys barely move the needle in television ratings

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Not too surprising. Most of today's pop "music" is pretty much crap:

Despite a night of feel-good vibes and performances by the music industry’s top acts, the Grammy Awards barely moved the needle as a television attraction.

The show reached just under 9.6 million viewers on Sunday, the Nielsen company said. That’s a 4% increase over 2021′s broadcast, a more intimate affair because of the pandemic, and the smallest-ever audience for the Grammys by a wide margin.

ADVERTISING

Any year-to-year viewership increase is usually a cause for celebration in today’s television world. But that has to be considered a disappointing showing when you consider the previous week’s Academy Awards increased its audience by 58% over 2021.

Jon Batiste is seen in the audience before going on stage to accept the award for best music video for Freedom at the 64th Annual Grammy Awards on Sunday, April 3, 2022, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/Chris Pizzello)

Jon Batiste is seen in the audience before going on stage to accept the award for best music video for "Freedom" at the 64th Annual Grammy Awards on Sunday, April 3, 2022, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/Chris Pizzello) (Chris Pizzello/Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP)

Jon Batiste was the biggest winner at the Grammys on CBS, which featured performances by Billie Eilish, Olivia Rodrigo, BTS, Chris Stapleton, Justin Bieber and others.

“Don’t even think of it as an awards show,” host Trevor Noah said at one point. “Think of it as a concert where we’re giving out awards.”

[Most read] Ald. Ray Lopez announces run for Chicago mayor in 2023 »
On the sports front, the much-awaited NCAA Final Four contest between Duke and North Carolina reached a total of 16.25 million people Saturday night over several Turner cable networks, Nielsen said.

Sunday’s NCAA championship game in women’s basketball, won by South Carolina over Connecticut, was seen by 4.47 million people on ESPN.

CBS won the week in prime time, averaging 5.3 million viewers. ABC had 3.2 million, NBC had 2.4 million, Fox had 2.1 million, Univision had 1.5 million, Ion Television had 1 million and Telemundo had 920,000.

Fox News Channel was the most-watched cable network in prime time, averaging 2.5 million viewers. TBS had 1.99 million, ESPN had 1.67 million, TNT had 1.47 million and HGTV had 1.1 million.

ABC’s “World News Tonight” won the evening news ratings race with an average of 8.4 million viewers. NBC’s “Nightly News” had 7 million viewers and the “CBS Evening News” had 5 million.

[Most read] What’s the weather for the Chicago Cubs’ home opener — and how has it impacted debuts at Wrigley Field since 1989? »
For the week of March 28-April 3, the top 20 prime time programs, their networks and viewerships:

1. NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament: Duke vs. North Carolina, TBS, 9.87 million.

2. “Grammy Awards” (8 to 10:53 p.m. Eastern), CBS, 9.59 million.

3. “Grammy Awards” (10:54 to 11:30 p.m.), CBS, 8.76 million.

4. “FBI,” CBS, 7.58 million.

[Most read] Chicago Bears Q&A: Is 2024 when we can expect this team to compete again? Will QB Nick Foles wind up being released? »
5. “NCAA Pregame Show,” TBS, 7.24 million.

6. “Young Sheldon,” CBS, 6.93 million.

7. “NCIS,” CBS, 6.83 million.

8. “60 Minutes,” CBS, 6.48 million.

9. NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament: Duke vs. North Carolina, Turner, 6.38 million.

[Most read] 4 Chicago restaurants get first Michelin stars in 2022; Alinea retains 3-star rating »
10. “Ghosts,” CBS, 6.23 million.

11. “FBI: International,” CBS, 6.22 million.

12. “NCIS: Hawai’i,” CBS, 6.13 million.

13. “FBI: Most Wanted,” CBS, 5.84 million.

14. “Blue Bloods,” CBS, 5.68 million.

15. “American Idol” (Monday), ABC, 5.66 million.

16. “Survivor,” CBS, 5.63 million.

17. “The Neighborhood,” CBS, 5.42 million.

18. “Bob Hearts Abishola,” CBS, 5.13 million.

19. “United States of Al,” CBS, 5.02 million.

20. “911,” Fox, 4.97 million.

It sounds like the Grammys needs a good controversy to boost ratings. Maybe a carefully orchestrated "wardrobe malfunction" in which Megan Thee Stallion "accidentally" exposes her starfish.

The most telling thing to me about that article is how CBS nearly cleaned up. Only two of the Top 20 were on other networks and none on ABC or NBC.

Reactions: cigaretteman
the Grammy Awards barely moved the needle as a television attraction.

This is not true. They may not have received the same bump as the Oscars from 2021 to 2022 but 9.59M viewers is still a very good number.

TV execs stumble over themselves trying to get college football games to get 4M viewers.

the Grammy Awards barely moved the needle as a television attraction.

This is not true. They may not have received the same bump as the Oscars from 2021 to 2022 but 9.59M viewers is still a very good number.

TV execs stumble over themselves trying to get college football games to get 4M viewers.
That's comparing apples and elephants.

It's a shame too, because the grammies are the most watchable of all the awards show. Even if you don't care for the particular genre's of music you can at least respect the performances of the artists. Sorry, but they aren't going to schedule early 80's Van Halen for the curmudgeons who can't take the dial off the classic rock stations.

Maybe they need to get someone from the audience to go pick a fight with a presenter.

These awards shows are not being watched because for the most part no one cares who wins these awards.

You know how JD Power and Associates give out awards for cars. How many people actually stay on top of that and how many people actually have only heard of JD Power and Associates because they saw it in a car ad?

Reactions: whatsup13579er
It's a shame too, because the grammies are the most watchable of all the awards show. Even if you don't care for the particular genre's of music you can at least respect the performances of the artists. Sorry, but they aren't going to schedule early 80's Van Halen for the curmudgeons who can't take the dial off the classic rock stations.

Maybe they need to get someone from the audience to go pick a fight with a presenter.

I think a lot of people respect the performances of the artists but really just don't care who wins the awards.

And if you want to see your favorite artist in their performance at the grammies you can just look it up on youtube afterwards, see the performance and not have to sit through an entire awards show.

Everyone wants to make the lack of people watching these awards shows on TV into some commentary about not liking the politics of the artists, or the movies they watched or the music they listen to. It has nothing to do with that. There is simply so many more entertainment options now and no one honestly cares about who wins the awards.

Awards shows where something to watch when there was nothing else to watch. Now because of Netflix, Hulu, etc . . . there is always something else to watch. In terms of people actually watching them it's a tradition that is dying much like video rental places died.

It sounds like the Grammys needs a good controversy to boost ratings. Maybe a carefully orchestrated "wardrobe malfunction" in which Megan Thee Stallion "accidentally" exposes her starfish.
I dunno. Starfish is a pretty boring pet. Might work better if she had a ferret or something.

I think a lot of people respect the performances of the artists but really just don't care who wins the awards.

And if you want to see your favorite artist in their performance at the grammies you can just look it up on youtube afterwards, see the performance and not have to sit through an entire awards show.

Everyone wants to make the lack of people watching these awards shows on TV into some commentary about not liking the politics of the artists, or the movies they watched or the music they listen to. It has nothing to do with that. There is simply so many more entertainment options now and no one honestly cares about who wins the awards.

Awards shows where something to watch when there was nothing else to watch. Now because of Netflix, Hulu, etc . . . there is always something else to watch. In terms of people actually watching them it's a tradition that is dying much like video rental places died.
And even before that, like when video killed the radio star.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Not too surprising. Most of today's pop "music" is pretty much crap:

Despite a night of feel-good vibes and performances by the music industry’s top acts, the Grammy Awards barely moved the needle as a television attraction.

The show reached just under 9.6 million viewers on Sunday, the Nielsen company said. That’s a 4% increase over 2021′s broadcast, a more intimate affair because of the pandemic, and the smallest-ever audience for the Grammys by a wide margin.

ADVERTISING

Any year-to-year viewership increase is usually a cause for celebration in today’s television world. But that has to be considered a disappointing showing when you consider the previous week’s Academy Awards increased its audience by 58% over 2021.

Jon Batiste is seen in the audience before going on stage to accept the award for best music video for Freedom at the 64th Annual Grammy Awards on Sunday, April 3, 2022, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/Chris Pizzello)

Jon Batiste is seen in the audience before going on stage to accept the award for best music video for "Freedom" at the 64th Annual Grammy Awards on Sunday, April 3, 2022, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/Chris Pizzello) (Chris Pizzello/Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP)

Jon Batiste was the biggest winner at the Grammys on CBS, which featured performances by Billie Eilish, Olivia Rodrigo, BTS, Chris Stapleton, Justin Bieber and others.

“Don’t even think of it as an awards show,” host Trevor Noah said at one point. “Think of it as a concert where we’re giving out awards.”

[Most read] Ald. Ray Lopez announces run for Chicago mayor in 2023 »
On the sports front, the much-awaited NCAA Final Four contest between Duke and North Carolina reached a total of 16.25 million people Saturday night over several Turner cable networks, Nielsen said.

Sunday’s NCAA championship game in women’s basketball, won by South Carolina over Connecticut, was seen by 4.47 million people on ESPN.

CBS won the week in prime time, averaging 5.3 million viewers. ABC had 3.2 million, NBC had 2.4 million, Fox had 2.1 million, Univision had 1.5 million, Ion Television had 1 million and Telemundo had 920,000.

Fox News Channel was the most-watched cable network in prime time, averaging 2.5 million viewers. TBS had 1.99 million, ESPN had 1.67 million, TNT had 1.47 million and HGTV had 1.1 million.

ABC’s “World News Tonight” won the evening news ratings race with an average of 8.4 million viewers. NBC’s “Nightly News” had 7 million viewers and the “CBS Evening News” had 5 million.

[Most read] What’s the weather for the Chicago Cubs’ home opener — and how has it impacted debuts at Wrigley Field since 1989? »
For the week of March 28-April 3, the top 20 prime time programs, their networks and viewerships:

1. NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament: Duke vs. North Carolina, TBS, 9.87 million.

2. “Grammy Awards” (8 to 10:53 p.m. Eastern), CBS, 9.59 million.

3. “Grammy Awards” (10:54 to 11:30 p.m.), CBS, 8.76 million.

4. “FBI,” CBS, 7.58 million.

[Most read] Chicago Bears Q&A: Is 2024 when we can expect this team to compete again? Will QB Nick Foles wind up being released? »
5. “NCAA Pregame Show,” TBS, 7.24 million.

6. “Young Sheldon,” CBS, 6.93 million.

7. “NCIS,” CBS, 6.83 million.

8. “60 Minutes,” CBS, 6.48 million.

9. NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament: Duke vs. North Carolina, Turner, 6.38 million.

[Most read] 4 Chicago restaurants get first Michelin stars in 2022; Alinea retains 3-star rating »
10. “Ghosts,” CBS, 6.23 million.

11. “FBI: International,” CBS, 6.22 million.

12. “NCIS: Hawai’i,” CBS, 6.13 million.

13. “FBI: Most Wanted,” CBS, 5.84 million.

14. “Blue Bloods,” CBS, 5.68 million.

15. “American Idol” (Monday), ABC, 5.66 million.

16. “Survivor,” CBS, 5.63 million.

17. “The Neighborhood,” CBS, 5.42 million.

18. “Bob Hearts Abishola,” CBS, 5.13 million.

19. “United States of Al,” CBS, 5.02 million.

20. “911,” Fox, 4.97 million.

I stopped watching the Grammy's when I got to the age where the singers looked and acted like a bunch of tools. It might have been about the time boy bands started popping up.

I stopped watching the Grammy's when I got to the age where the singers looked and acted like a bunch of tools. It might have been about the time boy bands started popping up.
Well, to be accurate, they've always acted that way. Your tolerance for putting up with that has decreased as you have gotten older. Plus, you reach a certain age and none of it is original anymore. It's all been done before or it is so ridiculously over the top it is both "trying too hard" and generally not something anyone wants to watch.

Then I'd say find some 2020 versions of real rock bands. I just can't listen to that boring pabulum they dispense now. If they can't or won't, forget them. I don't need to be told what to like. And I don't tell others what to like. If that is what you like, go ahead and watch. But it sounds like not that many did.

Then I'd say find some 2020 versions of real rock bands. I just can't listen to that boring pabulum they dispense now. If they can't or won't, forget them. I don't need to be told what to like. And I don't tell others what to like. If that is what you like, go ahead and watch. But it sounds like not that many did.
It kind of sounds like you do need to tell others what to listen to.

That said, Foo Fighters were the rock act but they had to cancel on account of their drummer dying a week before. That said, Chris Stapleton was there and I guess he was supposed to be the country act but he played a blues/rock song that was actually really good. You might have enjoyed it. Unless you prefer to listen to death metal which, yeah, you're not going to hear that at the grammies.

It kind of sounds like you do need to tell others what to listen to.

That said, Foo Fighters were the rock act but they had to cancel on account of their drummer dying a week before. That said, Chris Stapleton was there and I guess he was supposed to be the country act but he played a blues/rock song that was actually really good. You might have enjoyed it. Unless you prefer to listen to death metal which, yeah, you're not going to hear that at the grammies.
You must of missed it:

ADVERTISEMENT