ADVERTISEMENT

Grapple on The Gridiron 2

fufighters

HR MVP
Nov 13, 2009
Got a chance to talk with HWC coach Mark Perry today at Fryfest. Great guy and we are very lucky to have him.
One of the many subjects was the return of Grapple on the Gridiron in 2019-2020 season with Penn State being the possible opponent(although he did say Okie State might be better).
This would once again be the biggest draw in college wrestling...

tenor.gif

Brought up that concern about Penn State, also because of Big Ten schedule ....that's why Okie State would probably be better.

Too bad Iowa football hosts PSU in October next year and not November. That day could have been epic! Looks like they’ll have to settle for Minnesota again on 11/16 or Illinois on 11/23. 2020 options would be Nebraska 11/14 or Wisconsin 11/28.

50,000 in Kinnick for a wrestling match between Penn State and Iowa would be cool. A 26 - 12 Penn State victory would be great for Penn State recruiting.

However, since Penn State and Iowa are Big10 schools and on each other's schedule next year the Big10 will tell the two schools the date they will be competing against each other.

50,000 in Kinnick for a wrestling match between Penn State and Iowa would be cool. A 26 - 12 Penn State victory would be great for Penn State recruiting.

However, since Penn State and Iowa are Big10 schools and on each other's schedule next year the Big10 will tell the two schools the date they will be competing against each other.

Wrong. If Iowa and PSU agree to an alternative date the B1G won't stop them.

Your annoying and wrong but when did that ever stop any of you PSU douches.

Wrong. If Iowa and PSU agree to an alternative date the B1G won't stop them.
If that is true I hope they get that agreed to. However, currently getting an off-schedule year dual set up between the two seems to be impossible. So there may be an issue.

Reactions: danoftw
If that is true I hope they get that agreed to. However, currently getting an off-schedule year dual set up between the two seems to be impossible. So there may be an issue.

It's a little different when the dual is one of the required dates.

And you're sure they are trying for a non B1G dual?

It's a little different when the dual is one of the required dates.

And you're sure they are trying for a non B1G dual?
Yes. I do know it was discussed in 2015 and again this year.

I would imagine you agree with me that is a match that should be scheduled every year.

Reactions: SPOONER
Cause PSU fans wont/can't pack the house like Iowa fans and Carl doesn't want to be embarrassed.
Penn State does a pretty good job packing the BJC and has the indoor attendance record. They also have a decent football following. Just guessing, but I imagine Penn State would put a large number of rear ends in Beaver Stadium seats for a Penn State Iowa wrestling match. Especially one that precedes a football game.

Why doesn't PSU do this v Iowa State. PSU Coach is loved there - they have a stadium in Ames. This will generate lots of fan excitement! This is a no brainer to get 50K for a wrestling meet.

Penn State does a pretty good job packing the BJC and has the indoor attendance record. They also have a decent football following. Just guessing, but I imagine Penn State would put a large number of rear ends in Beaver Stadium seats for a Penn State Iowa wrestling match. Especially one that precedes a football game.

So now there’s an “indoor record?” Whatever man. Beat it geek.

Actually the top 3 attendance records :)

Reactions: nitlion6
Cause PSU fans wont/can't pack the house like Iowa fans and Carl doesn't want to be embarrassed.
I thought I read last yr. where the wrestled Ohio State in a 7,000 seat high school gym. So why would they come out for an ass kicking by Iowa?:D

Iowa already owes Penn State a visit to State College from the 2016?? date that was in Iowa City. How about Iowa comes to PSU for that match and wrestles in Beaver Stadium?

Iowa coming to wrestle in Happy Valley? That would be a freaking snooze fest unless Iowa fans agree in mass to make the drive to State College.

Too bad Iowa football hosts PSU in October next year and not November. That day could have been epic! Looks like they’ll have to settle for Minnesota again on 11/16 or Illinois on 11/23. 2020 options would be Nebraska 11/14 or Wisconsin 11/28.
If the Nebraska wrestling fans traveled as well as the football fans, that could be interesting.

Reactions: GG121AND2

This is humor, right?

Iowa coming to wrestle in Happy Valley? That would be a freaking snooze fest unless Iowa fans agree in mass to make the drive to State College.

Again, not sure if this is humor? And they can't agree outside the church?

I thought I read last yr. where the wrestled Ohio State in a 7,000 seat high school gym. So why would they come out for an ass kicking by Iowa?:D

More obvious this is humor, but ass-kicking probably not part of the equation at the team level.

Carl could get an enormous curtain to stretch across Beaver Stadium and then would only need to fill half the stadium.

This is better.

Beaver Flaps?

And then there is full-on Cesspool. :eek:;)

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put this out there: if you like it, you can take it. If you don't, send it right back...I’m probably dreaming here, but it would be B.A. Baracus bad a$$ if a concert followed Grapple on the Gridiron. Something like Kenny Chesney, Florida Georgia Line, Jason Aldean, etc. Or if country doesn’t tickle your fancy perhaps something a little more Rock N Roll (I’m not really sure what the kids are listening to these days). I’m sure logistically it would be a nightmare to organize and we certainly wouldn’t want it to take away from the dual itself, but it would put butts in the seats and be a major draw to attract the casual fan. Your thoughts?

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put this out there: if you like it, you can take it. If you don't, send it right back...I’m probably dreaming here, but it would be B.A. Baracus bad a$$ if a concert followed Grapple on the Gridiron. Something like Kenny Chesney, Florida Georgia Line, Jason Aldean, etc. Or if country doesn’t tickle your fancy perhaps something a little more Rock N Roll (I’m not really sure what the kids are listening to these days). I’m sure logistically it would be a nightmare to organize and we certainly wouldn’t want it to take away from the dual itself, but it would put butts in the seats and be a major draw to attract the casual fan. Your thoughts?
B.A. Baracus :mad:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT