ADVERTISEMENT

Grassley says he wouldn't consider a Supreme Court nomination in 2020

Good for you Chuck, if I recall you're in the Senate and have a say in this matter should it come to the floor. You and Senator Ernst.

Edit: Lol I'm a fool. 2018. Well let's see.

that was 2018 before an election they were trying to minimize damage heading in to.. this is 2020 where they know they are pretty screwed for the executive and have a good chance to lose the senate.

that was 2018 before an election they were trying to minimize damage heading in to.. this is 2020 where they know they are pretty screwed for the executive and have a good chance to lose the senate.
This. What will Grassley say tomorrow now that Moscow Mitch has said there will absolutely be a vote.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Chuck isn't the chairman of the Judiciary Committee anymore. Lindsey Graham is. Both of them will be massive hypocrites and try to push a vote through. Values are only good for as long as you need them in today's GOP>

They have the ball on the one line yard. No way they don't try to punch it in. As nefarious as I believe republicans to be they seem better at getting their way.

They have the ball on the one line yard. No way they don't try to punch it in.

b5d5537eb45f9266dee121ef46bcc93f.gif

The GOP will Weekend at Bernie's Grassley's vote if they have to. No way Chuck doesn't vote.

They have the ball on the one line yard. No way they don't try to punch it in. As nefarious as I believe republicans to be they seem better at getting their way.
The problem is it's being reported that Lisa Murkowski has said she will not vote to confirm a justice. It's highly likely Mitt Romney will also take that position. Susan Collins is down 9 points in Maine, and this could be toxic to her, so she may refuse to vote. It would be very sad, but not unexpected if Pence voted to confirm a SCOTUS justice. However, if those three lead, I can see a retiring institutionalist like Lamar Alexander making himself scarce. I am confident that Cory Gardner doesn't want any piece of this, and, there may be more.

Reactions: Moral
The problem is it's being reported that Lisa Murkowski has said she will not vote to confirm a justice. It's highly likely Mitt Romney will also take that position. Susan Collins is down 9 points in Maine, and this could be toxic to her, so she may refuse to vote. It would be very sad, but not unexpected if Pence voted to confirm a SCOTUS justice. However, if those three lead, I can see a retiring institutionalist like Lamar Alexander making himself scarce. I am confident that Cory Gardner doesn't want any piece of this, and, there may be more.

I hope you are right.

A neat observation I just made, the Sanders reddit looks to have gone from somewhat apathetic to united behind Biden. I hope that is worth something.

You guys are fooling yourself if you think a GOP senator other than Mitt says no. The pressure from the Federalist, and the Judicial Crisis Network will be overwhelming. Add Koch money, and the threat of the RNC supporting a candidate in their primary or not supporting their election from the RNC Senate Fund, and it's a done deal.

Reactions: naturalmwa

If anything, I think Gardner and McSally might come down to "screw it, I'm going to lose anyway".

I hope you are right.

A neat observation I just made, the Sanders reddit looks to have gone from somewhat apathetic to united behind Biden. I hope that is worth something.
This is going to hyper activate both of the extremes.
My hope is that this also activates moderate women who might have voted for Trump, but when push comes to shove do not want Mike Pence looking over their gynecologist's shoulder.

This is going to hyper activate both of the extremes.
My hope is that this also activates moderate women who might have voted for Trump, but when push comes to shove do not want Mike Pence looking over their gynecologist's shoulder.

I think the optics of this could backfire if he activates the process before November 4. Anyone who wanted Trump to replace RBG was already voting for Trump.

I fear we're dependent on COVID to eliminate the R majority in the Senate.

Which is to say we're in trouble.
538 gave the Dems a 58% chance at the Senate. I imagine now those odds have flipped. At this point don't be surprised if the Rs win back the House.

538 gave the Dems a 58% chance at the Senate. I imagine now those odds have flipped. At this point don't be surprised if the Rs win back the House.

Why? I don't understand this at all, if anything it completely unifies the left if they weren't already. 6 weeks before an election, you're not pacifying the Dem base, you're agitating it. The strategy in 2016 was to pacify and triangulate the left with the Bernie Bros and Jill Stein. Anyone who was already in the "Trump should appoint RBG's replacement" was already pulling the level for Trump and an R Senator, are they not? So any of the "Lincoln Project" Republicans already had it baked into their mental caluculus that Biden would replace RBG, so I don't see how this brings THEM back to Trump.

Reactions: rivalhawks
Why? I don't understand this at all, if anything it completely unifies the left if they weren't already. 6 weeks before an election, you're not pacifying the Dem base, you're agitating it. The strategy in 2016 was to pacify and triangulate the left with the Bernie Bros and Jill Stein. Anyone who was already in the "Trump should appoint RBG's replacement" was already pulling the level for Trump and an R Senator, are they not? So any of the "Lincoln Project" Republicans already had it baked into their mental caluculus that Biden would replace RBG, so I don't see how this brings THEM back to Trump.
Dems have topped out on energy. Trump's base hasn't. Now millions of evangelicals will use this as a motivator to vote for Trump.

Dems have topped out on energy. Trump's base hasn't. Now millions of evangelicals will use this as a motivator to vote for Trump.

I dunno man, I'm not convinced they were either going to sit out or vote for Jorgensen. I think we'll have to look at the polls in about 10 days or so to see if we detect any movement prior to the debate.

I wondered about that. I'm not so sure that this won't push the democrats even harder. I guess that's what you have to hope.

Reactions: Huey Grey
The GOP Leaders in the U.S. Senate will need to discuss
the Supreme Court vacancy. Their decision will telegraph
whether they are confident that Trump wins in November
and the GOP holds on to the Senate.

How would that even be possible? How would the 40 percent win everything?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT