ADVERTISEMENT

Great Iowa restaurants off the beaten path edition.

I don’t remember the name but it is no longer there. There was also one in Janesville as well. Downtown CF had to have been a ghostown back then...now it’s a destination.
Had a Carnegie library in downtown CF. The new library facility is better but I remember being sad about the old one getting torn down. Great memz there!

I don’t remember the name but it is no longer there. There was also one in Janesville as well. Downtown CF had to have been a ghostown back then...now it’s a destination.

Downtown CF was certainly not a destination when I went to UNI 92-95. There was one bar that would have pool tournaments and another bar that we would sometimes go to, but it was not popular at all.

It was definitely a ghost town. There were only two places to go to, Berk's and Toad's. We had a lot of fun at those places, but didn't get there too often. The drive was a bit daunting when everyone was wasted. When we moved out of the dorm after year two, we moved to the lovely villas of Gold Falls over off of Hudson Road. We stuck around The Hill for the most part. If I was working at the mall, we did a lot of happy hours at Diamond Dave's.
Spent many a night pregaming in gold falls.

It was definitely a ghost town. There were only two places to go to, Berk's and Toad's. We had a lot of fun at those places, but didn't get there too often. The drive was a bit daunting when everyone was wasted. When we moved out of the dorm after year two, we moved to the lovely villas of Gold Falls over off of Hudson Road. We stuck around The Hill for the most part. If I was working at the mall, we did a lot of happy hours at Diamond Dave's.
I, too, lived at Gold Falls Villa! Spent lots of money on beer and Copenhagen at that little Conoco on the corner of the entrance, not sure if it’s still there or not.

Reactions: jasonrann
I, too, lived at Gold Falls Villa! Spent lots of money on beer and Copenhagen at that little Conoco on the corner of the entrance, not sure if it’s still there or not.

The station at the corner was Pony Express during my tenure at the villa. Many kegs were bought at that little store. Spud and Red Dog were two buddies that worked there at the time. They fixed the pool at the villa the summer after I moved in. The parties out there were EPIC. By Sunday night, the pool was looking awfully murky.

Reactions: jonmartn
If you like broasted chicken, you won't find places better than these. Gas Lantern in Pierson and The Hideout in Germantown. Pierson has a population of about 350, but the Gas Lantern is always full. Germantown has a population of maybe 20. If you're going there on a weekend, phone your order in ahead of time or you'll wait at least two hours. First time I went there, I went to pay the bill at the bar and the bartender asked me if I wanted a "roadie". Free shot of peppermit schnaaps is always a great way to top off a meal. Second time I went there was with buddies from Kansas City. We ordered a round of shots of Jim Beam. The bartender came over to me to make sure I was ok with it being "the expensive stuff". It was $2.50/shot.

GAS LANTERN, Pierson - Restaurant Reviews & Phone Number - Tripadvisor
Chicken has nowhere to 'Hideout' | Latest News | siouxcityjournal.com

FYI...I did not know this, but there is apparently more than one Germantown in Iowa. I know the one that is a little south of Brighton, IA, and could not recall a place there with the name "Hideout". Well, that is because it isn't there. :) It is in another Germantown, in NW Iowa. :) Just a FWIW.

Breitbach's Country Dining, Balltown, IA - I'm surprised no one has mentioned Iowa's oldest Bar & Restaurant. (Though it's burned down twice in 2007 & 2009) Breitbach's

OR In the "you either love it or hate it" category: Paul's Tavern in Dubuque for their "broilator" cheeseburgers and decor... Paul's
o.jpg
I love Breitbach's. Great prime rib and I love the seafood platter.

Reactions: srams21
FYI...I did not know this, but there is apparently more than one Germantown in Iowa. I know the one that is a little south of Brighton, IA, and could not recall a place there with the name "Hideout". Well, that is because it isn't there. :) It is in another Germantown, in NW Iowa. :) Just a FWIW.
I am only finding one Germantown, IA via Google. It is in NW Iowa near Orange City.

Near Brighton, there is a town called Germanville. Maybe that is what you are thinking of?

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
I am only finding one Germantown, IA via Google. It is in NW Iowa near Orange City.

Near Brighton, there is a town called Germanville. Maybe that is what you are thinking of?

Ahh, you are correct. My mistake. I read your first post and erroneously thought of the similar, but differently, named town. Thanks!

Reactions: srams21
Its so reasonable.

I’ve taken out of staters there and they say it’d be a $100 a head elsewhere.
It still amazes me how inexpensive it is. Kansas City prides itself on having a lot of steakhouses. Every one of them is probably double of what Archie’s costs and the steaks are of interior quality. Archie’s dry ages their steaks and they have 12 different cuts available. They’re also seasoned nicely to further enhance the flavor. Their seafood is also good. I took my KC buddies there about ten years ago and they just couldn’t believe it.

I have driven by this place 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times but never been. Comes recommended. Supposedly Emerson in Marshalltown reserves the whole place whenever they entertain important clients:

I can vouche for this restaurant. It's been a while since I've been there but you used to be able to get Iowa Chops for like $8 and Prime Rib for $12. They would be huge cuts too. The next time you drive by That Place you need to stop. Absolutely fantastic.

Reactions: ConvenientParking

You wouldn’t recognize it now. It is bustling year round. New multi level mixed commercial/residential buildings. A new hotel, Black Hawk Hotel is remodeled, a couple breweries, good restaurants, hatchet throwing, retro gamer joint, clubs, country bar, martini bar, etc. If our dumbass government would ever get their shit together, it will be a great place for a dispensary. It really needs a live music menu but other than that, it’s a pretty cool place.

You wouldn’t recognize it now. It is bustling year round. New multi level mixed commercial/residential buildings. A new hotel, Black Hawk Hotel is remodeled, a couple breweries, good restaurants, hatchet throwing, retro gamer joint, clubs, country bar, martini bar, etc. If our dumbass government would ever get their shit together, it will be a great place for a dispensary. It really needs a live music menu but other than that, it’s a pretty cool place.

Wow, those are some SERIOUS changes. My ex-wife (no pic) worked for the Cedar Falls Mainstreet program in 1993 and part of 1994 as an intern. That is when the historic downtown revitalization movement started in many cities, including Cedar Falls. She has done that work ever since and is currently with her third city where this movement is still going strong. It's pretty amazing to see the difference one person can make in transforming an entire downtown.

Reactions: jellyfish10
Wow, those are some SERIOUS changes. My ex-wife (no pic) worked for the Cedar Falls Mainstreet program in 1993 and part of 1994 as an intern. That is when the historic downtown revitalization movement started in many cities, including Cedar Falls. She has done that work ever since and is currently with her third city where this movement is still going strong. It's pretty amazing to see the difference one person can make in transforming an entire downtown.

I’m close to one of the people downtown that has helped revitalize it. If you ever get back I’ll show you around. It really is amazing.

I’m close to one of the people downtown that has helped revitalize it. If you ever get back I’ll show you around. It really is amazing.

I am hoping we can get up there this spring. It has been too damn long, I think it's been at least 15 years. We now have two close friends that live there so it would be a perfect time to visit. The wife is due in July so I'm guessing June and July won't have many travel options. Hopefully Covid calms the fvck down too. My college roommate use to own The Stein which I understand is now gone. It would be cool to run around and check things out, will definitely keep you posted.

I never understood the appeal of this. Why not just buy quality meat from a locker and grill it at home? I've been to rubes quite a few times. The meat quality is good but It was annoying as hell standing around a big grill with a bunch of strangers watching them murder their meat.

Yeah, I get that. But it's a little bit of "adventure" dining. My favorite is The Mint in Silverthorne, Co. It's actually kind of a dump, which is great. It's a steakhouse without the trappings - no dress-up, just whatever you're wearing after a day of skiing or biking or whatever. No shopping involved - everything is right there, including your friends. Pick your favorite hunk of meat and throw it on the grill.

No mess to clean up when you're done.

IDK. I just think it's a good time.

I am hoping we can get up there this spring. It has been too damn long, I think it's been at least 15 years. We now have two close friends that live there so it would be a perfect time to visit. The wife is due in July so I'm guessing June and July won't have many travel options. Hopefully Covid calms the fvck down too. My college roommate use to own The Stein which I understand is now gone. It would be cool to run around and check things out, will definitely keep you posted.

The Stein became Ginger’s which had fire damage when East China burned down. There is a purposed multilevel apartment building in that area now.

I forgot to add that there is a new amphitheater downtown as well as new street scaping.

The Stein became Ginger’s which had fire damage when East China burned down. There is a purposed multilevel apartment building in that area now.

I forgot to add that there is a new amphitheater downtown as well as new street scaping.

I remember the last time I was there I was shocked to see that Pour Dicks, Stebs and Tony's were all gone.

I remember the last time I was there I was shocked to see that Pour Dicks, Stebs and Tony's were all gone.

Steb’s is the biggest loss. I loved Dick’s too but I have great memories of Steb’s because of the live music. It sat as a hole for years. It’s now a two story joint with hot yoga and a coffee shop on the bottom and apartments up top.

My son loves it there. I loved the Rite Spot as a kid...sad to see it gone. I need to meet you at AC’s for a beer sometime.
Ya it was hard to beat the Rite Spot when Sue was in charge. When you get back in town sometime this year we will have to meet up.

Anyone near CR should try PrairieMoon on Main in Prairieburg. Hole in the wall but new management came in a year ago and they have one of the better tenderloins i've ever tried.

Reactions: 2bagger22
ADVERTISEMENT