ADVERTISEMENT

Great Iowa restaurants off the beaten path edition.

Sorry J Dogg I'm with WDDT and will also summarily dispense an ass whippin' at Fight Bar. Fried cheese curds dipped in ranch dressing is one of life's greatest pleasures.

I'll take the curds naked, my man, but I know I'm in the minority on this one. Our daughter would drink ranch out of a glass if we would let her.

Maybe that's my problem. I've never had it.
wow are you in for a real eye opener. bottled/store bought ranch is gross. You'll know if a restaurant make their own ranch if it's a little thinner.. it doesn't have that heavy/thickness of bottle ranch.

Reactions: jasonrann
wow are you in for a real eye opener. bottled/store bought ranch is gross. You'll know if a restaurant make their own ranch if it's a little thinner.. it doesn't have that heavy/thickness of bottle ranch.

Nailed it. The store stuff I have had tastes like glorified mayo to me. Gross.

Nailed it. The store stuff I have had tastes like glorified mayo to me. Gross.
Generally my kids will pick restaurants on whether or not they make their own ranch. It's also one of the things I use to gauge a restaurants quality, kind of like fresh/frozen burgers or if they make their own tenderloins.
It's amazing how many people that own restaurants can't prepare their own food and will pay more for crap.

Reactions: ironside1
Generally my kids will pick restaurants on whether or not they make their own ranch. It's also one of the things I use to gauge a restaurants quality, kind of like fresh/frozen burgers or if they make their own tenderloins.
It's amazing how many people that own restaurants can't prepare their own food and will pay more for crap.
My quality test is if restaurants use actual SWISS cheese or the gross American Swiss. The ranch one is pretty good too, now that you guys mention it.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
Golden Pheasant- Remsen
I lived in Remsen for a time and never had a bad meal there- I think it may be under new ownership now though.

Good call. I grew up in the area too, it's hard to beat! The new owners are doing a great job.

Reactions: kuchel20
The General Store in Stone City is a fun place that has some good food. It's off the beaten path that's for sure. Really fun place to go to in the summer when you can sit on the deck over the river.
Hard to get a seat during the weekend. Went to school with the owner (Tad). Great family.

Darrells Place Hamlin----Tenderloins
Zipps Pizza-----Adair Fantastic Pizza
Buck Snort-----Harlan great food all around
The Prime Rib--Spencer Best Prime Rib I have had
63 Diner---Waterloo awesome all around

Reactions: jasonrann
Darrells Place Hamlin----Tenderloins
Zipps Pizza-----Adair Fantastic Pizza
Buck Snort-----Harlan great food all around
The Prime Rib--Spencer Best Prime Rib I have had
63 Diner---Waterloo awesome all around
The Prime Rib in Spencer, damn! That brings back some memories.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT