ADVERTISEMENT

Great night at PTL....

He's made it very clear, IMO. What difference is there to last year? Bohannon and Cook will get the bulk of the scoring opportunities, seniority only factors in during the first month, you can play your way into this lineup.

So basically, Ellingson and Wagner will be getting far more action in NOV than FEB if they turn out like, well Ellingson and Uhl last year. Garza will get the same shot Cook got. Moss will get the same shot Baer got.

Really the only issues that lack clarity are Williams and Kreiner. That's 9-10 in the rotation. An absurdly obvious starting 5 presents itself with Bo-Moss-Baer-Cook-Wags with Pemsl-Ellingson-Garza first up. Everything else is left to chance, not coaching. Moss and Pemsl can score - which one takes the 3rd scoring role? They'll get equal minutes for which to do that. Development will decide everything.

...with hawk-i-bob.

Thoughts:

I love the potential of this team, and no report because I have no clue what Fran will do with all of them!!!
Lol, sounds to me like you just had fun, like a kid waiting for Christmas and it can't get here soon enough, but they'll be lots of Chritmas days. European trip, season opener, Cayman tournament, B1G opener, and each game after, B1G tournament, selection Sunday and right through until / if they lose a game in the NCAA Tourney, then you have to wait again and anticipate all over again until PTL, dam, lol.
Ok well that's where I'm at anyway.

He's made it very clear, IMO. What difference is there to last year? Bohannon and Cook will get the bulk of the scoring opportunities, seniority only factors in during the first month, you can play your way into this lineup.

So basically, Ellingson and Wagner will be getting far more action in NOV than FEB if they turn out like, well Ellingson and Uhl last year. Garza will get the same shot Cook got. Moss will get the same shot Baer got.

Really the only issues that lack clarity are Williams and Kreiner. That's 9-10 in the rotation. An absurdly obvious starting 5 presents itself with Bo-Moss-Baer-Cook-Wags with Pemsl-Ellingson-Garza first up. Everything else is left to chance, not coaching. Moss and Pemsl can score - which one takes the 3rd scoring role? They'll get equal minutes for which to do that. Development will decide everything.
If you think Kriener is 10 in the rotation, you might be in for a surprise- and I'm really high on Garza. Actually thinking those two will share about 30 min in the rotation at center (remember how Woody and Olaseni did the same at one point?). Some of Wagner's and Pemsl's non 4 mins could fill out the 5 spot.

If you think Kriener is 10 in the rotation, you might be in for a surprise- and I'm really high on Garza. Actually thinking those two will share about 30 min in the rotation at center (remember how Woody and Olaseni did the same at one point?). Some of Wagner's and Pemsl's non 4 mins could fill out the 5 spot.

Yea canada and just exciting to wonder who is going to be on the court? Just watching the highlights of Cook's play posted in the forum here (W:eek:W) and a line like this for Moss last night with Kriener's stellar play to date in PTL along with others, it really seems to me that all players are working on things and getting better...

And players like Williams, Wagner, Garza and Nunge making 3 pointers too.....

Moss:
8-9 2FG; 6-9 3FG; 1-1 FT

We didnt watch the Cook vs Baer/Moss game.

Kreiner/JBo vs. Wagner/Williams....Ryan Kreiner is bigger yet still very mobile...outside shot from 3 to running the floor..to passing..the most improved player on the team IMO. Its easy to see what Fran saw in RK when he recruited him.

JBo took 5-7 runner type shots hit a couple..its an addition to his game that will only make him more of a threat.

Wagner hit several 3's..especially early on. Easy to see he has worked on his shot. Dont know how many minutes he plays with the depth we have..but AW will play every game. All of the players we have are my favorites...but AW might be my favorite. Plays hard and it seems to me he clearly is a good teammate.

Williams...had a couple of full court drives. He doesnt look 100% to me. It will be interesting if CW can hang on to his backup PG spot.

Ellingson...love everything about his game. IMO he may be JBo's backup and possibly our 1st guard off the bench.

Dailey...not a point. IMO he may battle CW for PT. It will be interesting to see how things shake out for Williams & Dailey.

Garza vs Nunge...that was fun to watch. Two different talents who will play day one. Nunge is just stratching the surface. This kid is a future All-B1g player. Shoots, handles the ball for his height. Can drive especially with shorter defenders. The sky is the limit...can play 3 & will.

Garza...doesnt take any prisoners. Hard nose player who has a physical edge. That alone will make us a better team. He also can hit some 3's..probably not as good as Kreiner or Nunge but leave him open..he can knock em down. I have a feeling Garza has had several encounters with defenders being physical...he gives it back.

Fran's recruiting of Nunge & Garza in the same year is remarkable considering we had guys like cook, kreiner, pemsl, wagner....it shows he knows how to show how they can fit in and more so recruits who are not afraid to compete for PT & believe in what is happening with the Iowa BB program.

couple side note the Brown kid for UNI is really good.

also shout out to Bettendorf HS... Kendal Jacks is one hell of a player that many D1 schools missed on 3-4 years ago. I told him he should have been wearing black/gold.

There is certainly fun in watching guys play free and easy in glorified pick up games, which is essentially what the PTL is.

I look at it this way. Games like these now might be cause for some concern if a guy is really doing poorly. But, I don't think the converse holds. Gaudy stats or eye-popping offensive performances against less than stellar defense in the setting of these games does not necessarily portend the performance to come when the season starts. We've all seen it before.

I'm not in any way down on the team. I am looking at them in context with the rest of their primary competition, the B1G, and see potential for good things as well as challenges.

Kreiner/JBo vs. Wagner/Williams....Ryan Kreiner is bigger yet still very mobile...outside shot from 3 to running the floor..to passing..the most improved player on the team IMO. Its easy to see what Fran saw in RK when he recruited him.

JBo took 5-7 runner type shots hit a couple..its an addition to his game that will only make him more of a threat.

Wagner hit several 3's..especially early on. Easy to see he has worked on his shot. Dont know how many minutes he plays with the depth we have..but AW will play every game. All of the players we have are my favorites...but AW might be my favorite. Plays hard and it seems to me he clearly is a good teammate.

Williams...had a couple of full court drives. He doesnt look 100% to me. It will be interesting if CW can hang on to his backup PG spot.

Ellingson...love everything about his game. IMO he may be JBo's backup and possibly our 1st guard off the bench.

Dailey...not a point. IMO he may battle CW for PT. It will be interesting to see how things shake out for Williams & Dailey.

Garza vs Nunge...that was fun to watch. Two different talents who will play day one. Nunge is just stratching the surface. This kid is a future All-B1g player. Shoots, handles the ball for his height. Can drive especially with shorter defenders. The sky is the limit...can play 3 & will.

Garza...doesnt take any prisoners. Hard nose player who has a physical edge. That alone will make us a better team. He also can hit some 3's..probably not as good as Kreiner or Nunge but leave him open..he can knock em down. I have a feeling Garza has had several encounters with defenders being physical...he gives it back.

Fran's recruiting of Nunge & Garza in the same year is remarkable considering we had guys like cook, kreiner, pemsl, wagner....it shows he knows how to show how they can fit in and more so recruits who are not afraid to compete for PT & believe in what is happening with the Iowa BB program.

also shout out to Bettendorf HS... Kendal Jacks is one hell of a player that many D1 schools missed on 3-4 years ago. I told him he should have been wearing black/gold.
This (the Wagner comments) is all I need to know. When you have a veteran in the program, one for whom playing time gets harder to come by each year, still clearly fully bought in, fully committed to the team/program, this means the culture in the program is very, very healthy.

This has me giddy.

And Nunge looks like the guys Wisconsin gets and develops into studs, also giddiness-worthy.

I just hope someone emerges, hopefully Williams given his physical tools, as a consistently strong backup to JBo. My biggest concern is JBo wearing down.

Last year, Ellingson shot 50% from 3, 100% on FTs, and had a 3:1 assist/turnover ratio. He has physical limitations, but he understands how to play and is clearly one of our two best shooters. I hope he will be more aggressive and look for his shot more this year, but I don't understand why you continue to suggest that he played poorly last year.

There is certainly fun in watching guys play free and easy in glorified pick up games, which is essentially what the PTL is.

I look at it this way. Games like these now might be cause for some concern if a guy is really doing poorly. But, I don't think the converse holds. Gaudy stats or eye-popping offensive performances against less than stellar defense in the setting of these games does not necessarily portend the performance to come when the season starts. We've all seen it before.

I'm not in any way down on the team. I am looking at them in context with the rest of their primary competition, the B1G, and see potential for good things as well as challenges.

I think most folks recognize it this way. I'm all for being optimistic, just scratch my head when people go overboard and think that PTL stats in any way impact how things will go in the season. Just let the guys develop and be who they are. If a guy doesn't average a double double in real games, it doesn't mean he's a failure.

I think most folks recognize it this way. I'm all for being optimistic, just scratch my head when people go overboard and think that PTL stats in any way impact how things will go in the season. Just let the guys develop and be who they are. If a guy doesn't average a double double in real games, it doesn't mean he's a failure.

It's about improving your play/your skills, day in and day out....just like you hear Kirk say this to his football players and his team and you hear this from the players too.

I personally don't need anybody to tell me a good/better or worse thing in BB whatever/wherever the context of play is when I see it. And if you don't hear me posting about certain players it's probably because there may not be much to discuss in terms of improvement but with this roster now......it's all good imo.

I have not made it to PTL this summer and it looks like I won't get there but there are posters I've learned to trust with their info watching PTL and then to watch a Courtside Vid of TC posted .....it's just wow.

I really hope folks can see things that Tyler is really working on with his game, getting better, getting quicker/stronger and taking it to another level....the kid averaged 12 ppg as a true frosh and we all saw how he scored doing that and to see him shooting that 10 or 15/20 footers with ease in multiple ways, I see zero reason for fans not to be excited and that's really all PTL is anyway.

Just a meter view to help benchmark where players are at with their play at this point...I just enjoy the games too.

Reactions: hawk-i bob
I'd agree, but its more important for some. I have no concern that Cook will not be solid, even though some have said he looks pretty ho hum in the PTL. Now Kreiners development is I think of note, especially since he missed much of this work last year. He has thrown down the gauntlet to Garza that there will be a battle for those post minutes, and Luka has responded in kind. Time will tell of course, but in Garza I see an offensively skilled version of Woody. Isn't that the guy we were all hoping for? No nonsense guy on the block, who could patrol the lane, make free throws, score effectively on the block, AND was enough of a threat as a shooter to pull his man out of the lane for Cook and Pemsl to do their work. I'd be counting the days till tip off, if I wasn't looking forward so much to this years Hawks on the gridiron! :D

Reactions: hawk-i bob

Excellent report/assessment! Thanks for posting

Last year, Ellingson shot 50% from 3, 100% on FTs, and had a 3:1 assist/turnover ratio. He has physical limitations, but he understands how to play and is clearly one of our two best shooters. I hope he will be more aggressive and look for his shot more this year, but I don't understand why you continue to suggest that he played poorly last year.
Do think Ellingson will be the 3rd guard at this point. But we'll need Williams or Dailey to step up in games where Brady's 'physical limitations' are more evident.

Do think Ellingson will be the 3rd guard at this point. But we'll need Williams or Dailey to step up in games where Brady's 'physical limitations' are more evident.
I think Brady is definitely the first back up to Moss at 2. Whether he will also play PG remains to be seen. Coaches will need to weigh their alternatives, and obviously know a lot more than me. I believe Brady has a better BB IQ than CW and probably Dailey (very limited assessment), but really quick, aggressive on-ball defenders could cause some trouble for him running the offense. I would sure like to see Ellingson get more shots, and I expect him to get at least 5-6/game with Pete gone. With other scoring options on the floor and Brady's improved movement without the ball, getting some shots should definitely be possible. He makes open shots!

I think Brady is definitely the first back up to Moss at 2. Whether he will also play PG remains to be seen. Coaches will need to weigh their alternatives, and obviously know a lot more than me. I believe Brady has a better BB IQ than CW and probably Dailey (very limited assessment), but really quick, aggressive on-ball defenders could cause some trouble for him running the offense. I would sure like to see Ellingson get more shots, and I expect him to get at least 5-6/game with Pete gone. With other scoring options on the floor and Brady's improved movement without the ball, getting some shots should definitely be possible. He makes open shots!
I'm not as worried about Brady in limited minutes on O at PG. I also think he'll be helped by point forward ball movement from Baer and Nunge. It's D where Brady could find himself out of his depth some games at the 1 or even the 2. Especially by the time we get to the heat of the B1G race, we need a reliable defender out of CW or MD who can avoid turnovers on the other end as well.

Don't disagree about Brady on defense (a step slow), but I don't see him as being much of a downgrade from JBo on the defensive end.

Reactions: unIowa
This (the Wagner comments) is all I need to know. When you have a veteran in the program, one for whom playing time gets harder to come by each year, still clearly fully bought in, fully committed to the team/program, this means the culture in the program is very, very healthy.

This has me giddy.

And Nunge looks like the guys Wisconsin gets and develops into studs, also giddiness-worthy.

I just hope someone emerges, hopefully Williams given his physical tools, as a consistently strong backup to JBo. My biggest concern is JBo wearing down.
This is why Fran and company on the European trip and the early season should limit his minutes when possible.

Agreed. That's why we need CW or MD to step up as defensive options when needed.
I think Moss has the ability to be a good defender. He just needs to want it and play all-out on both ends of the court. I hope that pilot light comes on for him, because he could be a difference maker.

Great report. Thanks Bob! Sounds like everyone is improving, or at least striving to do so.

I was hoping for better news out of Dailey. Williams too. We need there defense, but they got to have some offense to go with it... I was really hoping for Dailey to break out, as he has skills in all areas, but it doesn't seem that he can put it all together.... Williams has some of that too. It just seems he is waiting for something. What that is, we don't know. But he doesn't seem 100%. And really never has...

Overall great report. Love hearing this stuff. Sounds like Ellingson is going well. Hope he can come up with some defense. Defensive guard play is what this team really needs. Probably more than anything else...?

Great report. Thanks Bob! Sounds like everyone is improving, or at least striving to do so.

I was hoping for better news out of Dailey. Williams too. We need there defense, but they got to have some offense to go with it... I was really hoping for Dailey to break out, as he has skills in all areas, but it doesn't seem that he can put it all together.... Williams has some of that too. It just seems he is waiting for something. What that is, we don't know. But he doesn't seem 100%. And really never has...

Overall great report. Love hearing this stuff. Sounds like Ellingson is going well. Hope he can come up with some defense. Defensive guard play is what this team really needs. Probably more than anything else...?

Not worried about Dailey or Williams from PTL..we dont know how things are going in practices...who knows they may be doing well.

Obviously will know more come fall.

Not worried about Dailey or Williams from PTL..we dont know how things are going in practices...who knows they may be doing well.

Obviously will know more come fall.

A lot of that is true. But there is at least one factor in PTL that can lead to a cause for concern - offense. If you are not scoring in PTL, that is definitely not a good sign... Neither have done that well with the O.

Reactions: RocknRollface
A lot of that is true. But there is at least one factor in PTL that can lead to a cause for concern - offense. If you are not scoring in PTL, that is definitely not a good sign... Neither have done that well with the O.

i think Dailey has done well. Williams I dont think is 100% ... but the team he plays on is also a part of it..with Wagner, Jacks & Austin..and it seems their PTL team has most of their guys their. Last thursday Jacks didnt even start which shows how deep they are.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
i think Dailey has done well. Williams I dont think is 100% ... but the team he plays on is also a part of it..with Wagner, Jacks & Austin..and it seems their PTL team has most of their guys their. Last thursday Jacks didnt even start which shows how deep they are.

We will see how Dailey does with a little pressure. PTL playoffs start today. Maishe and Garza are on starting at 4:30.

We will see how Dailey does with a little pressure. PTL playoffs start today. Maishe and Garza are on starting at 4:30.
Wagner/Williams vs Garza/Dailey will be a test for Maishe's current aggression level. If he really asserts himself, it will open things up for Garza and they could win this game. If not... MD is a work in progress but we'll need some good defensive minutes from he and CW this year.

Wagner/Williams vs Garza/Dailey will be a test for Maishe's current aggression level. If he really asserts himself, it will open things up for Garza and they could win this game. If not... MD is a work in progress but we'll need some good defensive minutes from he and CW this year.

I think that sums up Dailey and Williams, they need to assert themselves.... Be aggressive. Maybe Fran is telling them to take it slow?

Love to hear that Wagner's shot is improving. If he can start finishing around the basket, he'll have a very good year.

ADVERTISEMENT