ADVERTISEMENT

Great read on new RB James Butler

Hey, BigOHawk, thanks for the link. It's a great story, and yet again shows what a winding road life is. Butler sounds like the prototype Hawkeye. It's a shame he didn't arrive in Iowa City initially, but if the football gods are willing to keep him and Wadley healthy all season, well, I haven't been so excited about an Iowa running game since the days of Ronnie Harmon,Tavian Banks, and Shon Greene.

And Butler is one more example of why it's great to be a Hawkeye fan. We're not just cheering for athletes, we're cheering for good people. Heaven knows we need as many of those as we can get. I hope Iowa City and the Hawkeye experience turns out to be everything Butler and his teammates hope for.

Reactions: cap_tain8
Some cool takeaways from the article:
  • Since he's wanted to be a Hawk for some time now - there's no questioning his motivation.
  • Kid is smart ... not likely to be problems picking up the playbook.
  • A family friend remarked that he got hit in the backfield 60% of the time and still managed to be exceptionally productive. It's really hard on a RB when their first move is already in their own backfield. It says something about the young man when he still puts up around 1300 yards at a 5 ypc clip.
  • Obviously the level of competition steps up compared to MWC-level competition, however, it's equally valid to recognize that he'll likely have better blocking ahead of him at Iowa. Perhaps these factors might negate each other ... at the very least?
  • As we already knew - the young man is versatile ... good at both running and receiving.
  • The kid is moving in with Myers and Daniels - rooming with starting OL is obviously good for rapport.
  • While we all know that he was a 2-star RB recruit - we now know why. He missed a whole season of eligibility in high school due to transferring schools. Without junior film ... he was obviously overlooked.
  • The kid was coached by Lester Erb at Nevada ... and Erb himself was a Ferentz protégé. Now he'll be coached by Brian ... another Ferentz protégé. Thus, what he'll hear from his position coach likely won't be too terribly foreign. That really could really help in the transition.

My expectations are sky high this year. Passing game or no passing game were going old school this year. Run the ball stop the run. Win the majority of your games go to a bowl AND ACTUALLY WIN!

We all can count off some seasons where our hopes seemed doomed due to tailbacks going down. Sometimes we got through it, sometimes not. Welcome James, look forward to seeing you and Wadley slice and dice your way through opposing defenses. Back to back seasons with two tailbacks over 1,000? Why not!

Sedge

Reactions: lad2
Football aside these are the kind of people we try hard to employ and over pay if necessary. They are super positive influences on your whole organization.What a refreshing read and a refreshing kid. These kinds of people/employees are becoming increasingly hard to find.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
Butler will pack the punch. Hes used to the tough yards and now he'll get better blocking and a running start. He seems like a team guy and that will pay dividends. I would love to see Toren Young get in there cuz I think he'll be a slashing bruiser. We may have 2 1000 yard rushers this year as well!

Great story, great article. Super excited for this kid and would wish him a successful season regardless of the fact he's a hawkeye now. Although I will point out that St. Francis is in the West suburbs, not in the NW suburbs like Bartlett.

???

With a couple of STUD RS frosh RBs in the stable, the
HAWKEYES look Loaded for bear.

Go Hawks :)
Maybe the young guys will emerge but it will help to have one more option for the second spot. No one really knows how good the two young guys are yet.

Guys, we know recruiting is not a perfect science. The Hawks do well with under the radar kids but they barely missed on JB. Several people tried everything possible to convince the Hawks to offer him in high school, but were unsuccessful.

Knowing JB personally, I was confident he could contribute, be a great teammate and leader. He fits the Hawkeye mold and I couldn't be happier for him, and am very excited for the upcoming season.

Guys, we know recruiting is not a perfect science. The Hawks do well with under the radar kids but they barely missed on JB. Several people tried everything possible to convince the Hawks to offer him in high school, but were unsuccessful.

Knowing JB personally, I was confident he could contribute, be a great teammate and leader. He fits the Hawkeye mold and I couldn't be happier for him, and am very excited for the upcoming season.

I wondered about this very sentiment… I do think fans still don't quite understand there are three or 400 maybe even 500+ 2-star kids every year that should've actually been three star or even four star kids and that's what our staff excels at....identifying those kids! Here is one they missed the first time around fortunately for them they got another look!!

Welcome aboard. This kid is the real NFL deal. Like LeShun with better hands and better speed. Iowa has a good line. We are likely to have another year of two one thousand yard rushers. Its the perfect way to use little AW. Bang around with the big boy for a few downs and wind up half a step slow when Akrum takes away that ankle you thought you had tackled.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT