ADVERTISEMENT

Great YouTube follow for classic Iowa games.

This guy???? The name of the video publisher/poster is Brion Hurley. And the spelling of that first name should be a tip off that it is the former hawk kicker Brion. So not just a guy but a past hawk who was a really good player.

Nice that he posts these hilites.

Hmmm...I still think he's in as the back leg doesn't seem to touch. However that would've been a first down at the 1 inch line but how much time I wonder?
Maybe one of those call stands/not enough evidence to overturn? It's clooooose. I also can't remember if the clocked stopped after first downs then? If not, time would have expired before they ran another play.

Always interesting to think about how outcomes would have changed in the replay world we live in now. The Bobby F'ing Olive game would have been flipped for one (too soon?).

There were a few seconds - enough for the Hawks to kick off, OSU return the ball and then run one play. In 1987 the clock remained stopped after a first down until the ball was snapped, so the Hawks would have been able to run at least one more play if Cook had been ruled down.

Bo Pelini.

This game was not on LIVE TV. I paced my basement listening to Goose and Mike Reilly. It was on tape delay tv at 10:30PM.

There were a few seconds - enough for the Hawks to kick off, OSU return the ball and then run one play. In 1987 the clock remained stopped after a first down until the ball was snapped, so the Hawks would have been able to run at least one more play if Cook had been ruled down.
Damn, I’ve gone my whole life thinking that was the last second

I thought my Dad was going to pass out when Cook scored. Unbelievable game, against a very good Ohio State team that beat Michigan the next week

ADVERTISEMENT