ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest Athlete - Iowa High School Edition

Dan Gable and it ain't even close.

I don’t get the not even close or /thread stance.

I get Dan Gable was an amazing athlete and the best athlete from Waterloo West (which is the topic). He was an Olympic gold medalists and many, many other accolades going well beyond competitive years into his coaching dynasty.

I just don’t think it’s as plain and simple as that. I’d put Kinnick and Slater up to Gable any day of the week. Kinnick very well may have became a US president had he not been KIA and Slater, I don’t even know where to begin. First AA to be inducted to the college football HOF in its first year alongside Kinnick. He was inducted into the Iowa (state) sports HOF in its inaugural year along with Berwanger, Kinnick, and Devine. He played professional in an era where he was one two AA playing and the first to play the OLine. He wasn’t even allowed to play in the state of Missouri professionally. He never missed a game due to injury in the NFL, college, or HS. He couldn’t afford shoes and a helmet in HS, so he chose shoes and played his HS ball without a helmet. Slater came back to Iowa to receive his law degree while playing in the NFL and became the second AA judge in the city of Chicago. There is so much more.

I understand the argument, but I don’t think it’s as cut and dry as some are making it out to be.

I think to be in this debate you need to have played at least two sports. As far as I know many of the basketball players mentioned did not.

I get Dan Gable was an amazing athlete and the best athlete from Waterloo West (which is the topic). He was an Olympic gold medalists and many, many other accolades going well beyond competitive years into his coaching dynasty.

I just don’t think it’s as plain and simple as that. I’d put Kinnick and Slater up to Gable any day of the week. Kinnick very well may have became a US president had he not been KIA and Slater, I don’t even know where to begin. First AA to be inducted to the college football HOF in its first year alongside Kinnick. He was inducted into the Iowa (state) sports HOF in its inaugural year along with Berwanger, Kinnick, and Devine. He played professional in an era where he was one two AA playing and the first to play the OLine. He wasn’t even allowed to play in the state of Missouri professionally. He never missed a game due to injury in the NFL, college, or HS. He couldn’t afford shoes and a helmet in HS, so he chose shoes and played his HS ball without a helmet. Slater came back to Iowa to receive his law degree while playing in the NFL and became the second AA judge in the city of Chicago. There is so much more.

I understand the argument, but I don’t think it’s as cut and dry as some are making it out to be.

I think it's that cut and dry. Gable is simple one of sports great competitor - up there with the legends.

Reactions: ironside1

I didn’t know that about Slater. It’s crazy to think about how much he had to overcome back then. Such a different world now.

Iowa Valley - Marengo produced Rick Wanamaker who went to Drake, played on the '69 final four Drake team. Though they lost by 3 points the 6'8" Wanamaker stuffed 7'2" Lew Alcindor's shot in the highlight of the game. Wanamaker was also the 1970 NCAA decathlon champion, the 1971 AAU decathlon champion and gold medal winner at the Pan Am games. He was injured and missed '72 Munich...

I didn’t know that about Slater. It’s crazy to think about how much he had to overcome back then. Such a different world now.

At one time it was suggested renaming Kinnick Stadium to Kinnick-Slater Stadium. Obviously, that was turned down and Slater Hall was named in Duke’s honor.

I can’t imagine it either, the obstacles Slater endured throughout his life. He had to go on a hunger strike before his dad eventually backed down and let him play football lol. To play on the Oline in those days as an AA was unheard of. He played both ways in many games. Played 10 seasons in the NFL and never missed a game due to injury when you know he was a target.

It’s almost criminal how little recognition this man receives as a pioneer to so many. As an Iowan, a Hawkeye fan, a Quad Citian, Eastern Iowan, American .... Slater was one of the greats, but evidently not up there with “the legends”. Unbelievable

Last edited:
Reactions: The_Gent
Marion’s - “The Natural” - Ronnie Altenberg

Rare combination of speed, grace and power.
He excelled in all sports. Division One quality in Football. Basketball, Track and Baseball. Loved BB and took Cornell to National Championship, but best sport was track. Arguably the fastest man in the world in the spring of 1960.

Muscatine - Murray Wier
Iowa Valley - Marengo produced Rick Wanamaker who went to Drake, played on the '69 final four Drake team. Though they lost by 3 points the 6'8" Wanamaker stuffed 7'2" Lew Alcindor's shot in the highlight of the game. Wanamaker was also the 1970 NCAA decathlon champion, the 1971 AAU decathlon champion and gold medal winner at the Pan Am games. He was injured and missed '72 Munich...
Once introduced before a Drake home BB game as "The Flamingo from Marengo, Rick Wannamaker!"
Also, the guy (and his bride) have sold them some damn houses here in DSM....they are a couple of the most successful RealEstate agents/brokers in the Metro area...(Bill Knapp takes care of those drake alums!)

Troy Skinner (Iowa BB) and Brian Pearson (ISU BB) Palmer class of 1988 (17 in graduation class).

Ill be honest, i dont know much about Slater. But i will say, there is no one in the world that did or has since done what Gable accomplished in his athletic career. To go through the olympics and not give up 1 single point...absolutely incredible!

Tavian Banks-Bettendorf.

3 time Iowa Gatorade Soccer player of the year
Lead Bettendorf to State in Basketball
Football
636712266244513602-dmrdc5-5by75nctko9nzys1fm6-original.jpg
I don't know about tooting his horn for basketball, but I have years of first-hand knowledge of his football prowess and really his prowess as one of the freakiest athletes in recent memory. 4.2 forty and equally freaky ability to cut/change direction. Shat upon Iowa high schoolers like a normal high schooler would shat upon 1st graders. For the true Iowans here, you don't really need much more than this clip, where Tim Dwight (#21 in the grainy AF high school video), future NFL WR and PR who returned one for a TD in the super bowl, whiffed because he didn't take a good enough angle to tackle him:

I don't know about tooting his horn for basketball, but I have years of first-hand knowledge of his football prowess and really his prowess as one of the freakiest athletes in recent memory. 4.2 forty and equally freaky ability to cut/change direction. Shat upon Iowa high schoolers like a normal high schooler would shat upon 1st graders. For the true Iowans here, you don't really need much more than this clip, where Tim Dwight (#21 in the grainy AF high school video), future NFL WR and PR who returned one for a TD in the super bowl, whiffed because he didn't take a good enough angle to tackle him:

As a jr high kid I got Tavian’s autograph while he was sidelined with an injury at a basketball game. IIRC, he was one of the best high school soccer players in the country as well.

Wow I didn’t know that. Btw what is supposedly the actual Heisman trophy resides at Dubuque Senior, still.

Next time I go to coach up there, I'll look. It was supposed to be this year. Would be cool to see.

Not a lot of baseball players mentioned. Jeff Clement - Marshaltown and Ryan Sweeny CR Xavier

Ryan Sweeny single handedly made me realize I was a bad basketball player. Him and his whole salvation army team.

Jack Mustapha was a hell of a pitcher for Boone. He threw multiple no hitters in the playoffs to a state championship in 1965. Got sidetracked by the Vietnam war or could of had a promising MLB career.

Shelby Houlihan. She is the current American record holder for the 1500. I believe she is from Sioux City

As a jr high kid I got Tavian’s autograph while he was sidelined with an injury at a basketball game. IIRC, he was one of the best high school soccer players in the country as well.

I played against him in high school. He was really good

Going back to the early 1990’s I can only remember two offensive players that just flat out dominated the MAC conference. Tavian and David Johnson at Clinton. It’s amazing how David Johnson didn’t get more looks coming out of HS.

Last edited:
I played you then. Also Tim Dwight and eddie Gibson, and had solo tackles on both. Were you another Iowa great so can make it a triple crown (practice doesn’t count for tavian)?

I played you then. Also Tim Dwight and eddie Gibson, and had solo tackles on both. Were you another Iowa great so can make it a triple crown (practice doesn’t count for tavian)?

I was a good athlete but no. Not an all time great

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT