ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest dual of all time...

Gobblin

HR Heisman
Oct 29, 2011
A ton of jackasses are going out of their way to call last nights dual the "greatest dual of all time"... With strait faces! It is beyond irriatating listening to these Johnny Come Lately jag offs with zero knowledge of the history of the sport.

And the constant mentioning of the 40 somethingish strait sell out at Rec Hall.. How many sell outs would Carver have in a row if it seated that many?? 300? 400???

Just makes my skin crawl and I'm far from a "hater". I enjoyed the dual between the 2 best teams in the country, but come on. 2, maybe 3 competitive matches and 1 upset. Pardon me if I'm not slobbering all over myself with the excitement.

Happy Super Bowl Sunday gentlemen.

Last edited:
A ton of jackasses are going out of their way to call last nights dual the "greatest dual of all time"... With strait faces! It is beyond irriatating listening to these Johnny Come Lately jag offs with zero knowledge of the history of the sport.
I think what they meant to say is, “greatest collegiate dual of all time not involving Iowa.”

I’m not sure that’s even accurate, but it’s more accurate than the original statement.

Not sure, maybe a dig directed towards the PSU kids for talking fun and speaking of Christ in their interviews after their matches.

It may be a culture that recruits parents can appreciate. It certainly won’t detract them from asking their rich brother to help their child get there or maybe even allow their kid to take less to make it happen.

Another big win for PSU...

Nice little venue they have there at Ped State.

You disgrace the name of Gable with dumbass comments like that.

And the constant mentioning of the 40 somethingish strait sell out at Rec Hall.. How many sell outs would Carver have in a row if it seated that many?? 300? 400???

Just makes my skin crawl and I'm far from a "hater". I enjoyed the dual between the 2 best teams in the country, but come on. 2, maybe 3 competitive matches and 1 upset. Pardon me if I'm not slobbering all over myself with the excitement.

I appreciate the use of "jagoff" as an insult. I didn't know that word was used outside of Pittsburgh.

Can you really blame the enthusiasm? Lots of good storylines last night. It really is good for the sport.

I appreciate the use of "jagoff" as an insult. I didn't know that word was used outside of Pittsburgh.

Can you really blame the enthusiasm? Lots of good storylines last night. It really is good for the sport.

Just out of pure curiosity, what were the great "storylines" last night other than the top 2 teams in the country wrestling and the Nickal/Martin rivalry?

Reactions: Spoons
That marketing tactic is used all the time. Next year will have another "The Greatest Dual of All Time".
Maybe not next year, but we will hear it again sometime. However, a lot of people are saying this year may have the greatest 2nd place team of al time. That is a big deal if those two teams meet in a dual. Also I will say that my wife watched the meet with me last night and she got into it. She never watches college wrestling. So that tells me it was a good dual and exciting and good for the sport.

On a side note, it really seemed like the crowd made a difference last night. I do not think Cassar wins or Nevilles holds Snyder to a regular decision in any other setting. I think the crowd affected both teams. I understand why it is so tough to win in Carver now.

Dope. Get lost.

Reactions: honkey69
I’m not saying last night was the best dual of all time (it was really good though). But instead of simply saying it wasn’t, what duals would you rank as high or higher?

Reactions: papride1
Maybe not next year, but we will hear it again sometime. However, a lot of people are saying this year may have the greatest 2nd place team of al time. That is a big deal if those two teams meet in a dual. Also I will say that my wife watched the meet with me last night and she got into it. She never watches college wrestling. So that tells me it was a good dual and exciting and good for the sport.

On a side note, it really seemed like the crowd made a difference last night. I do not think Cassar wins or Nevilles holds Snyder to a regular decision in any other setting. I think the crowd affected both teams. I understand why it is so tough to win in Carver now.

It took last nights dual, in 2018, in Pennsylvania, for you to realize why it's hard to win at Carver?! Holy shit...

I’m not saying last night was the best dual of all time (it was really good though). But instead of simply saying it wasn’t, what duals would you rank as high or higher?

We could have a 5 page thread discussing that. The first one that pops into my head is when Minnesota defeated the Hawks in finals of the national duals at Carver in 1998... I've got plenty more where that came from.

There's a giant difference between an actual great dual and greatly hyped dual.

Just out of pure curiosity, what were the great "storylines" last night other than the top 2 teams in the country wrestling and the Nickal/Martin rivalry?

Kuhn in his 1st match at Penn State taking down Nato 3 times in the 1st period.

McKenna upsetting Lee (on its own not a big deal but this was the swing match many thought Penn State had to have)

Hall (and looking good doing it) beating one of the very few guys who's ever beat him.

Not just the rivalry but Nickal getting a much needed bonus point against the guy "who has his number"

Cassar, not Rasheed, taking the mat and upsetting the #1 ranked wrestler. Who the hell predicted that?

Nevills getting a couple of takedowns against one of the greatest wrestlers ever and holding it to a decision.

It was a great match to watch, and I have absolutely nothing bad to say about any of those young kids, except well done and thanks for the entertainment..

One team wrestled great, the other...not so much. I bet tOSU wrestlers would agree. For example, NATO wrestles a dude nobody heard of and gets taken down twice in the first period. If that kid doesn’t gas...On short time, MyMar gives up a major to a guy he has beaten twice before...certainly didn’t look like a rivalry. Their 97 looked confused and Kyle Snyder actually tried to throw somebody.

McKenna upsetting Lee (on its own not a big deal but this was the swing match many thought Penn State had to have)

Hall (and looking good doing it) beating one of the very few guys who's ever beat him.

Not just the rivalry but Nickal getting a much needed bonus point against the guy "who has his number"

Cassar, not Rasheed, taking the mat and upsetting the #1 ranked wrestler. Who the hell predicted that?

Nevills getting a couple of takedowns against one of the greatest wrestlers ever and holding it to a decision.

Like I said, pardon me if I'm not riveted.

You are just upset that Iowa is no longer the center of the collegiate wrestling world. That center is now in Happy Valley, but don't worry, next week you will get your opportunity to shine.

You are just upset that Iowa is no longer the center of the collegiate wrestling world. That center is now in Happy Valley, but don't worry, next week you will get your opportunity to shine.

Dynamite drop in Donny!

It was a good dual with a lot of great wrestlers, but all time great is not even close. Almost nothing surprising happened, and very little drama match to match.

The Missouri OK state dual last week was more exciting,

Penn State Vs Iowa was a much more exciting dual last year. Meyer beat Hall (Hall’s redshirt pilled first match), Nickal with the crowd silencing spladle, Retherford/Sorenson OT.

Nothing memorable happened yesterday. Extremely high level wrestling between 2 great teams, but really a ho-hum dual.

The Missouri OK state dual last week was more exciting,

Nothing memorable happened yesterday.l.

Ding ding ding. Fool Post of the morning!

Yeah I bet the whole wrestling world was watching the the Okie State match.

Everyone at Flo predicted tOSU. The 2nd or 3rd best wrestler in country out due to injury.

A kid that hasn’t wrestled in 2 yrs throws NATO on his back and saves a team point

Lee losing a tight one that many thought PSU had to have

Zain taken down twice early and storms back with much needed tech

Cenzo bullies Campbell for major

Rematch of NCAA final last year at 174

Rematch of NCAA final 2 yrs ago and gets bonus

#1 ranked wrestler gets dominated by possible #2 guy for PSU

Nevills who got majored last year keeps to decision, gets first take down against Captain America who tweeted all week how much he wanted to destroy PSU

But yeah. Not much storylines. Okie State/Missouri much more entertaining

And Gobblin. For the love of God, when you open your mouth a foot constantly gets shoved in it

From everything I read leading up to last night, tOSU was hyping it much more than psu. Weren’t they the ones that dubbed it “greatest dual ever”? I think they smelled blood and wanted to use a win to promote their team as the best ever assembled. Great dual. Hats off to Cael. My OW was the Kuhn kid (ok... at 25 he’s no longer a kid). Dude showed grit.

Everyone at Flo predicted tOSU. The 2nd or 3rd best wrestler in country out due to injury.

A kid that hasn’t wrestled in 2 yrs throws NATO on his back and saves a team point

Nevills who got majored last year keeps to decision, gets first take down against Captain America who tweeted all week how much he wanted to destroy PSU

And Gobblin. For the love of God, when you open your mouth a foot constantly gets shoved in it

He's right... And where in the world would I be without your approval of what I post on the Hawkeye Report?

I think the best part about lat night was all the buzz about the dual.....regardless of who won I think college wrestling and wrestling fans in general are the winners..... I also think the buzz machine should be running full speed for the iowa/psu dual this weekend!

Lost. That’s where you are

You always speak in metaphors? I'm right at home friend.

It didn't even sniff the greatest duals of all time... Period. If you argue with that you're the one who is lost, unknowledgeable, blinded by homerism, or just plain all around dumb.

Reactions: HoundedHawk

not to mention seven number ones and national/defending champs not including Nolf

Kuhn took NATO down 3 times then got majored. I suppose Minnesota fans have a right to brag about Lizak going up big on Gilman last year, only to get pinned.

Social Media and FLO are the reason people are saying that because of the hype.And beacause the dual had 7 NCAA champs wrestling in it.

Kuhn is not a story accept for PSU fans to maybe have a little hope. NATO kicked his butt just like everyone expected.

Pletcher went exactly as expected.

141 was a toss up, nothing exciting happened there.

149 - exactly as expected

157 - exactly as expected

165 - as expected

174 - good match, as expected. Nothing exciting in the match really.

184 - great job by Bo. Dominant win.

197 - upset, but many were on the fence about this one all week.

285 - Snyder wrestled his worst match ever, which was very surprising and still handled Nevills easily and attempted junior high moves.

Nothing from this dual is memorable a year from now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT