ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest dual of all time...

not to mention seven number ones and national/defending champs not including Nolf
This. Can anyone name a dual in the past that has including SEVEN former national champs? Plus guys like McKenna (3rd as a freshman), both Jordan’s (probably both going to be 4 time aas), and Moore (3rd as a freshman, ranked #1). Had Nolf not been banged up that would have made 8 former champs. This board loves to talk about history and last night was absolutely historic. 43 dual win streak with a big ten schedule (plus a few national duals finals in there) is getting closer to historic. All time record is 69, correct?

Why do so many Penn State fans IMMEDIATELY come running over here after a meet looking for validation?

I’ll speak for myself. I don’t run over here for validation. There are really only two boards where people talk wrestling 24-7.

I come to see if anything new or prognostications on upcoming duals, etc.

But when you see posts with people hating on the dumbest stuff it brings me in once in a while.

I mean really. Even if you’re not a fan of PSU, everyone was watching and it was a great dual. The underdog won which makes it sweeter. Yes without Nolf we were underdogs. Everyone and their mother picked tOSU.

To knock the dual or try to compare it to a dual 30 yrs ago is silly

When Iowa wrestled tOSU I came here to give credit since I thought you guys wrestled hard and it was a fun dual to watch. Not run around hating on it

A ton of jackasses are going out of their way to call last nights dual the "greatest dual of all time"... With strait faces! It is beyond irriatating listening to these Johnny Come Lately jag offs with zero knowledge of the history of the sport.

And the constant mentioning of the 40 somethingish strait sell out at Rec Hall.. How many sell outs would Carver have in a row if it seated that many?? 300? 400???

Just makes my skin crawl and I'm far from a "hater". I enjoyed the dual between the 2 best teams in the country, but come on. 2, maybe 3 competitive matches and 1 upset. Pardon me if I'm not slobbering all over myself with the excitement.

Happy Super Bowl Sunday gentlemen.
Ya, top 2 teams in the country, numerous highly ranked wrestlers/national champions, closely contest team score down to the final match. That was some great wrestling and great for the sport of wrestling!

Greatest duel is subjective, I'm pretty sure former ISU national and olympic champion, and former Iowa coach Dan Gable would agree it was a great duel though :)

Ya, top 2 teams in the country, numerous highly ranked wrestlers/national champions, closely contest team score down to the final match. That was some great wrestling and great for the sport of wrestling!

Greatest duel is subjective, I'm pretty sure former ISU national and olympic champion, and former Iowa coach Dan Gable would agree it was a great duel though :)

The Hamilton/Burr duel was way better.

There’s an awful lot of bitterness in this thread, folks. I thought it was a great dual and certainly enjoyed watching it more than the men’s basketball fiasco. Maybe it was not the greatest dual EVER in the history of collegiate wrestling, but come on.

Respect where it’s due.

People say "greatest of all time" without really thinking about it or analyzing it.

It happens in every sport.

* In basketball, Michael Jordan is considered the greatest of all time. Now some are saying its Lebron James, forgetting that MJ was 6 for 6 in the NBA Finals and had he not left the game to play baseball, he/the Bulls probably would have won 9 straight NBA Championships

* In tennis, hard to argue that Federer is not the greatest men's player of all time.

* Hard to dispute Gable is the greatest of all time NCAA wrestling coach.

You can go on and on....

At the end of the meet the announcer said "you'll never see a better dual meet"

Later he would say "it just doesn't get any better than this."

Really?

Compared to what? Better than the Iowa/Oklahoma State meet in Kinnick Stadium that set an all time attendance record?

Announcers/experts/idiots need to choose their words more wisely.

The only thing for certain in sports is that you will always hear a team, a player, a coach, etc called "the greatest of all time."

Bill Walsh was considered the greatest coach of all time. Now its Bill Bellichek. Tom Brady? The greatest of all time...unless you are a 49'er/Joe Montana fan....LOL

It took last nights dual, in 2018, in Pennsylvania, for you to realize why it's hard to win at Carver?! Holy shit...
I guess I could see the effect of the crowd. In Carver, I thought the wrestlers got the upsets because they were the Hawks. After last night, I could actually see the effect of the crowd on the guys. Yeah, maybe I am a bit slow.

Reactions: Gobblin
At the end of the meet the announcer said "you'll never see a better dual meet"

Later he would say "it just doesn't get any better than this."

Really?

Compared to what? Better than the Iowa/Oklahoma State meet in Kinnick Stadium that set an all time attendance record?

Announcers/experts/idiots need to choose their words more wisely.

The only thing for certain in sports is that you will always hear a team, a player, a coach, etc called "the greatest of all time."

Bill Walsh was considered the greatest coach of all time. Now its Bill Bellichek. Tom Brady? The greatest of all time...unless you are a 49'er/Joe Montana fan....LOL

Today's talking heads are a little fast and loose with the superlatives and hype. It's very annoying.

A ton of jackasses are going out of their way to call last nights dual the "greatest dual of all time"... With strait faces! It is beyond irriatating listening to these Johnny Come Lately jag offs with zero knowledge of the history of the sport.

And the constant mentioning of the 40 somethingish strait sell out at Rec Hall.. How many sell outs would Carver have in a row if it seated that many?? 300? 400???

Just makes my skin crawl and I'm far from a "hater". I enjoyed the dual between the 2 best teams in the country, but come on. 2, maybe 3 competitive matches and 1 upset. Pardon me if I'm not slobbering all over myself with the excitement.

Happy Super Bowl Sunday gentlemen.

You are just upset that Iowa is no longer the center of the collegiate wrestling world. That center is now in Happy Valley, but don't worry, next week you will get your opportunity to shine.

Who came to whom's board to talk about this again?

I don't see any Iowa fans indicating any disrespect for PSU or OSU. It was a great dual. Calling it the GOAT dual? This simply belies a lack of appreciation of the history of collegiate wrestling, and that is not synonymous with Iowa wrestling.

There was great college wrestling before Iowa. There'll be great wrestling moving forward. Last night was not likely even in the top 10 greatest duals of all time.

There’s an awful lot of bitterness in this thread, folks. I thought it was a great dual and certainly enjoyed watching it more than the men’s basketball fiasco. Maybe it was not the greatest dual EVER in the history of collegiate wrestling, but come on.

Respect where it’s due.
Totally agree. It was the first non-Hawkeye dual that I have watched from start to finish in a long time. I agree with Chief that Ohio St didn't show up very
well--Nato looked overconfident, and his reckless aggressiveness caught him by surprise; Moore definitely looked lost; and Snyder? Give him a grade D. I think one of the main story lines was that the totally enthusiastic PSU crowd was the proverbial 11th wrestler on their team. The guys who lost wrestled hard, and could be said to have won the meet.

Everything about this meet was exactly what Hawkeye fans love about Hawkeye events. Big, enthusiastic crowd. Top-tier matchups. A couple heroic moments. Meet coming down to the last match. Beating a team ranked higher. I could only hope to see Hawkeye storylines like that in the years to come.

Well Moore obviously shit the bed, but Martin didn't do Snyder any favors either when he fell asleep at the end to get majored. That's the straw that broke the camel's back.

Ohio State had criteria, so worst case it goes to criteria if Snyder gets a regular decision, and he majors Nevills in his sleep.

Snyder did things in that match he hasn't done since 3rd grade.

Iowa vs Iowa state back in 2008 when #1 vs #2 was better dual I feel.

There are a couple of Duals between Iowa and Oklahoma state that were much better. When they draw 40k to a stadium wake me up.

Reactions: HawkFT
From an Event standpoint, the Grapple on the Gridiron is off the charts #1. From a dual standpoint it was very entertaining, but probably wouldn't be Top 50 in Iowa History.

Iowa versus Iowa State routinely had the ""greatest duals of all time", and some of those twice a year.

So they had a fine little event out in Hipster Valley. Whoop-de-doo I guess.

You’re Iowa fans, of course you guys wouldn’t consider it that special of a dual. You despise everything PSU. It made each and every one of you sick in the stomach watching Penn State pull that out.

Reactions: lionlover
Kuhn is not a story accept for PSU fans to maybe have a little hope. NATO kicked his butt just like everyone expected.

Pletcher went exactly as expected.

141 was a toss up, nothing exciting happened there.

149 - exactly as expected

157 - exactly as expected

165 - as expected

174 - good match, as expected. Nothing exciting in the match really.

184 - great job by Bo. Dominant win.

197 - upset, but many were on the fence about this one all week.

285 - Snyder wrestled his worst match ever, which was very surprising and still handled Nevills easily and attempted junior high moves.

Nothing from this dual is memorable a year from now.

Dumb. If Kuhn doesn't wrestle, Nato tech falls or pins. OSU would have won.

Reactions: slicone
One thing that made the dual great
Iowa vs Iowa state back in 2008 when #1 vs #2 was better dual I feel.

There are a couple of Duals between Iowa and Oklahoma state that were much better. When they draw 40k to a stadium wake me up.

Serious question; How many times were Iowa and ISU the number 1 and 2 in the country when they dueled? I remember one year that the Hawks "upset" the Cyclones by having a guy named, Brooks- I believe, pin the returning champ Voelker. Never beat him before and never after, but he did it on that night. That must have been a great dual.

You’re Iowa fans, of course you guys wouldn’t consider it that special of a dual. You despise everything PSU. It made each and every one of you sick in the stomach watching Penn State pull that out.
wrong.....didnt watch a minute of it...could care less. You are obsessed with making the weak Hawk fans feel bad because of your success. Very immature...

Probably because Iowa fans started a bunch of negative PSU threads.

20d420a2c306e2b51017227082f43339.jpg

Is this guy for real???

Please fill me in. Two guys who could be top 5. Both young. Both at same weight with not much option to move up or down. Will one transfer or be content not getting a full scholarship and ride the bench when they could have full scholly and be an AA at another school.

Uhh...given to hyperbole, much? I don't despise PSU. I am envious of their recruiting success, and equally suspicious. But I loved the dual.

So...let's review. "Each and every one of you"? Well, I'm sure I'm not the only exception to your fantasy about Iowa fans. How do I know this? Just ask me, because I have a rule as a poster to absolutely, totally, never, ever generalize!

Kinda like Iowa at 125 a few years back?

You mean when Gilman sat for only 1 year on the bench? If Cassar and Rasheed both stay they are looking at multiple post seasons from the sidelines. And if I'm not mistaken at least one of them isn't getting scholly money. Pretty sure Gilman and Clark got plenty of Scholly money.

Every year we have the game of the century in college football . Get the last two teams together that win a title , have them 1,2 in the rankings , and voila!!!
Greatest dual meet ever . Until next season or the year later .

Every year we have the game of the century in college football . Get the last two teams together that win a title , have them 1,2 in the rankings , and voila!!!
Greatest dual meet ever . Until next season or the year later .

Last night I tuned in the Oklahoma/West Virginia game to watch the greatest basketball player since Jesus. I got to see his projected draft position (#7 - seven!!!!), his parents (every two minutes), the Greatest sitting on the bench (resting his precious self), interviews with Baker Mayfield (concerning how great his Greatness is), and taped shooting instructions from the Great One. BTW, the Holy One's team lost. I think His Lordship had the flu (one of the sideline mic-ladies said his Holiness didn't look right). With about one minute left in the game, He got his first assist and the announcers went crazy with praise and admiration - you can't hold the greatest basketball player to zero assists for the whole game!! I witnessed history - awesome.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT