ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest dual of all time...

Every year we have the game of the century in college football . Get the last two teams together that win a title , have them 1,2 in the rankings , and voila!!!
Greatest dual meet ever . Until next season or the year later .

I get that it may not have been the greatest dual of all time, but in a world where we are trying to get publicity for our sport, why are we beating this dead horse. It was a big dual because it probably had the best ever #2 team in the country (which we won't find out until March who that is). Also, the matches were pretty exciting and a lot of points were scored. Let the networks promote it however they want to. Let Flo hype it however they want to.
It will be interesting to find out how many years the number 2 team would have won the NCAA tourney with the points the number 2 team scores this year.

You mean when Gilman sat for only 1 year on the bench? If Cassar and Rasheed both stay they are looking at multiple post seasons from the sidelines. And if I'm not mistaken at least one of them isn't getting scholly money. Pretty sure Gilman and Clark got plenty of Scholly money.
You mean the bench riding Gilman that was 7-2 in duals? Why would you bring up scholly money? So you're telling me Iowa had 2 scholly student athletes at one weight. That's a waste of the 9.9 and took points off the board at NCAA’S. Enjoying the Vodka early today?

its all about perception. If Iowa is not involved I cannot get to excited. but i'll bet the buckeyes and lions were.
i've seen some doozies with Iowa vs OK ST and IA ST, whew boy!

You mean the bench riding Gilman that was 7-2 in duals? Why would you bring up scholly money? So you're telling me Iowa had 2 scholly student athletes at one weight. That's a waste of the 9.9 and took points off the board at NCAA’S. Enjoying the Vodka early today?

If you can't see how the Cassar/Rasheed situation is different than Gilman/Clark idk what to say to you.

And Gilman went on to be a 3x AA and silver world medalist. Clark 4x AA and ncaa champ. Splitting scholly money paid off.

One of the two - Cassar/Rasheed is going to spend 2-3 years sitting out of NCAAs with no scholly money according to what has been said. Neither is going to start at hwt and neither is going to start at 184 so where do they fit into the line up?

Reactions: HKI
I get that it may not have been the greatest dual of all time, but in a world where we are trying to get publicity for our sport, why are we beating this dead horse. It was a big dual because it probably had the best ever #2 team in the country (which we won't find out until March who that is). Also, the matches were pretty exciting and a lot of points were scored. Let the networks promote it however they want to. Let Flo hype it however they want to.
It will be interesting to find out how many years the number 2 team would have won the NCAA tourney with the points the number 2 team scores this year.

Good points. I don’t know if the sport will really “ grow “ much more , but fans have much better access overall .
I live 2.5 hours give or take from psu , traveling time and cost can be an issue for me. But now with the big ten network I can see almost all the games and I love it.
That and the internet keeps me informed and happy . Beats the 70s-90s for me .

Just want to say I hate PSU but I'm a fan of a good chunk of their wrestlers outside of Hall. Just can't stand that kid.

They wrestle with urgency, always looking to score. Most of us would call it the Iowa Style.

Perfect example is Nickal getting those nearfall at the end. He seems like a really good kid and I think he's one of the most exciting wrestlers in college.

Lastly, once again, I hate PSU.

If you can't see how the Cassar/Rasheed situation is different than Gilman/Clark idk what to say to you.

And Gilman went on to be a 3x AA and silver world medalist. Clark 4x AA and ncaa champ. Splitting scholly money paid off.

One of the two - Cassar/Rasheed is going to spend 2-3 years sitting out of NCAAs with no scholly money according to what has been said. Neither is going to start at hwt and neither is going to start at 184 so where do they fit into the line up?
I can see PSU has 2 student athletes at 197 getting almost 0 scholly money, who are both AA caliber. I'd say that's pretty good from a coaches standpoint by not letting money go to waste. What does Gilman's world silver have to do with Iowa spending Schooly money on 2 guys at the same weight in what 2014? When only one of them wrestled at NCAA's. It equals Iowa wasting money one year Period.

I can see PSU has 2 student athletes at 197 getting almost 0 scholly money, who are both AA caliber. I'd say that's pretty good from a coaches standpoint by not letting money go to waste. What does Gilman's world silver have to do with Iowa spending Schooly money on 2 guys at the same weight in what 2014? When only one of them wrestled at NCAA's. It equals Iowa wasting money one year Period.

Can't get Gilman/Clark caliber wrestlers for free - surprised you can't process that.

Apparently, there's a difference between scholarship $ up-front/during, and NLWC (promised) $ post-graduation.

And Vodka, I'm not so sure Rasheed couldn't eventually go 184, he was a 165 last year (I know, sounds like juicing to most people), that is, if Nickal doesn't grow and knock them both out of the line-up for awhile.

Disclaimer; I'm not making any accusations of wrongdoing in this post, just passing on wild gossip/speculation.

Apparently, there's a difference between scholarship $ up-front/during, and NLWC (promised) $ post-graduation.

And Vodka, I'm not so sure Rasheed couldn't eventually go 184, he was a 165 last year (I know, sounds like juicing to most people), that is, if Nickal doesn't grow and knock them both out of the line-up for awhile.

Disclaimer; I'm not making any accusations of wrongdoing in this post, just passing on wild gossip/speculation.

I saw an interview where Rasheed said he walks around at about 195. Apparently, he can't beat out Nickal.

You are just upset that Iowa is no longer the center of the collegiate wrestling world. That center is now in Happy Valley, but don't worry, next week you will get your opportunity to shine.

I admit I was entertained and watched the dual in its entirety. I was obviously sucked in by the BTN announcers claim that Ohio State was the best dual team ever assembled. Wink...wink....

I am even more amused by the center of collegiate wrestling world which happens to be in Happy Valley at the current time.

But let’s not forget about who the greatest teams are in wrestling D1 history. I am a Hawk fan from start to finish. But the GOAT claim still lies in Stillwater and if you want to throw down the Penn”is” size comparison then it goes by national tiles earned.

1. Oklahoma State. 34
2. Iowa. 23
3. Iowa State. 8
4. Oklahoma 7
5. Penn State. 7

I think you guys might have a chance of finally passing Iowa State in the near future but have a ways to go in order to reach #2 on the list and a hell of a long ways to bypass #1.

Just sayin....

Reactions: HawkFT

Rasheed was a 174 sucking way down to wrestle 165 two seasons ago. He was wrestling 174 last year, but was still cutting and then injured . . . and then Hall.

184 is probably the ideal class for him, but yeah, Nickal. He didn't need any juice to get to his present-day weight. He's always had the frame, and he's actually underweight for 197.

Reactions: Flying_Tiger
You are just upset that Iowa is no longer the center of the collegiate wrestling world. That center is now in Happy Valley, but don't worry, next week you will get your opportunity to shine.

Okay...this is why we can't take your fan base serious....we GET Oklahoma State and respect that tradition and their coach. We look forward to when your fan base "gets it"!

635831147340307085-635831091609376487-IOW-1114-Iowa-wrestling-vs-OkSt-13.jpg

Olympic Trials 2016
909736_AHOzfq8HPduXjCUi1vj5.jpg

2018 World Cup
IowaCityWorldCup400x225.jpg

I will say that the tOSU vs PSU was rightly promoted to the point that it should have been the greatest of all time. It certainly took a hit with Nolf being out. I would venture that the greatest dual meet of all time probably came when refs actually enforced the stalling. Sure I'm a homer but what the Buckeyes put out there effort wise left the dual short of what it could have been!

You’re Iowa fans, of course you guys wouldn’t consider it that special of a dual. You despise everything PSU. It made each and every one of you sick in the stomach watching Penn State pull that out.

No, I'm sure we all loved watching it. You however make everyone sick and tired of your dumbass ass, non-stop mindless troll posts.

The settlers missed their chance when they let your genetics continue.

You definitely found a shortcut from using your brain to post. That's pretty impressive.

Reactions: nittanybrian

Ofc it's good from a coaches standpoint if you have 2 top 5 wrestlers at same weight not taking scholarship money. It's just really really stupid from the wrestlers standpoint who ends up riding the bench. Could be at another school on full ride and wrestling at NCAAs. Not sure why you are so defensive or stubborn on this point.

Reactions: HawkFT

Sorry got long winded.......

Happens w old age....

Short answer = Go Eat A Bag of D!cks!

Reactions: SansSouci
Okay...this is why we can't take your fan base serious....we GET Oklahoma State and respect that tradition and their coach. We look forward to when your fan base "gets it"!
How does getting awarded the trials or the World Cup help your argument? Psu is getting a final x series this year and is rumored to be getting the 2020 trials.

635831147340307085-635831091609376487-IOW-1114-Iowa-wrestling-vs-OkSt-13.jpg

Olympic Trials 2016
909736_AHOzfq8HPduXjCUi1vj5.jpg

2018 World Cup
IowaCityWorldCup400x225.jpg

We could have a 5 page thread discussing that. The first one that pops into my head is when Minnesota defeated the Hawks in finals of the national duals at Carver in 1998... I've got plenty more where that came from.

There's a giant difference between an actual great dual and greatly hyped dual.
I really hope you are not calling the Penn State Ohio State wrestling match simply an over-hyped dual that failed to deliver.

Serious question. I follow wrestling but don’t pretend to be a student of ancient history. What were/are 5-10 candidates for GDOAT, based on ranks, matchups, plot twists, closest,etc.? Might be fun if somebody could set up one of those poll thingies.

Edit: fascinating to me that there seems to be nothing on the interwebs on this, notwithstanding that sports arguments seem to be ubiquitous there. Oh well, the perils of a niche sport I guess.

Last edited:
Just out of pure curiosity, what were the great "storylines" last night other than the top 2 teams in the country wrestling and the Nickal/Martin rivalry?

G, while I do not pretend to suggest it was greatest as I am far too much of an ignoramus on that front, it was “a” truly great dual on many levels.
Prematch—Twitter gamesmanship and Nolf injury injecting some uncertainty and drama
Personnel- 1 v 2 team, many high ranked wrestlers and several h2h matchups
Execution-upsets, comeback, and (most interestingly to me) in retrospect virtually every match could have added or lost a team point one way or the other, and several did in dramatic fashion, dual meet came down to mighty Casey at the bat. (Candidly, had Snyder got it done, I’d think it might well have been a truly legendary meet,)

Per my other note, I really would be interested in hearing some highlights or summaries of other great duals and what made them great.

No, I'm sure we all loved watching it. You however make everyone sick and tired of your dumbass ass, non-stop mindless troll posts.

The settlers missed their chance when they let your genetics continue.

You definitely found a shortcut from using your brain to post. That's pretty impressive.
1. Lol. No you didn’t. You despise PSU and you’ll become a temporary fan of other teams when they wrestle them...you being an tOSU fan Saturday night is my example.

2. You white folk have always shown too much weakness.

3. Agree. I dumb things down quite often. The collective intelligence here isn’t what it used to be...again....I’ll use you as my example.

Last edited:
1. Lol. No you didn’t. You despise PSU and you’ll become a temporary fan of other teams when they wrestle them...you being an tOSU fan Saturday night is my example.

2. You white folk have always shown too much weakness.

3. Agree. I dumb things down quite often. The collective intelligence here isn’t what it used to be...again....I’ll use you as my example.

Jesus guys, dial it back to 10 at least.

Reactions: Exo
Is that original Gobblin ? Not sure but I think i remember reading this same thing in The Stillwater-News Press in 1986.

Last edited:
Serious question. I follow wrestling but don’t pretend to be a student of ancient history. What were/are 5-10 candidates for GDOAT, based on ranks, matchups, plot twists, closest,etc.? Might be fun if somebody could set up one of those poll thingies.

Edit: fascinating to me that there seems to be nothing on the interwebs on this, notwithstanding that sports arguments seem to be ubiquitous there. Oh well, the perils of a niche sport I guess.
I have to think the one where Iowa wrestled ISU and got a pin at 190 over a returning NCAA champ to basically win the meet, had to be up there. Can anyone from Iowa give more details on it.
There were a lot of years where Iowa and OSU were 1 and 2 in the country. Some of those also had to be doosies. I would love to hear about some of those meets that you guys attended. I know the one in Kinnick stadium was large and special, but probably not as great of a dual as some others.

Reactions: Aardvark86
I have to think the one where Iowa wrestled ISU and got a pin at 190 over a returning NCAA champ to basically win the meet, had to be up there. Can anyone from Iowa give more details on it.
There were a lot of years where Iowa and OSU were 1 and 2 in the country. Some of those also had to be doosies. I would love to hear about some of those meets that you guys attended. I know the one in Kinnick stadium was large and special, but probably not as great of a dual as some others.

I tend to agree with you re: Kinnick, though it was certainly no slouch particularly taking into account the intangibles/novelty of the thing. Just don't know that it had as many great matchups on paper (though it might have suffered a bit on that end from the fact that it was so early in the season).

There must be some sort of violation here ... NCAA regs, motor vehicle code, Magna Carta, natural law. You should call around, Vodka.

Reactions: purescurve

You are talking about 1988 against #1 Iowa State at Carver. The meet was thru 177 and Iowa's 190, Sophmore Brooks Simpson, was just getting back into shape after being out of the lineup earlier in the year with, I think, a knee injury. His record was something like a paltry 6-5 (guess). He was facing undefeated Senior and Defending National Champ Eric Voelker. An Iowa win was so unlikely. A Voelker win would seal the meet and end Iowa's streak of never losing a meet in Carver. About 4-1/2 minutes into the match, Simpson hit a side roll from bottom and caught Voelker. He fought off his back for what seemed an hour before getting the fall. I cannot describe the moment it happened. It was as if the fans could see it coming and when it happened, the roof went off the place all at once. Never been in Carver (or Kinnick even) to see that kind of IMMEDIATE explosion. Sindlinger came out at Hwt and recorded the Fall to seal the win. This was also at the time when Iowa was still recovering from their failure to record their 10th straight title. There were some all time greats for both schools on the mat that day - for Iowa: Penrith, Heffernan, Alger, maybe Chipparelli (memory fading). For ISU: Gibbons, Krieger, Van Arsdale, Voelker. For what it is worth too, it is also the only time my Dad was able to attend a meet at Carver with me and even through his dementia in later years, he still remembered that moment. I still have an extremely worn VHS copy of the meet at home.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT