ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest Song Ever Written

drew_hawk

HR All-American
Jan 16, 2016
Post what you consider the greatest song ever written. It doesn't need to be your favorite song, or even necessarily a song you like, just what you consider to be lyrically the best song written of those you have heard. Only one song per person, please. Take your time.

I always thought this song was brilliant. What it's about and how it is performed mesh perfectly. It starts out with the singer just sort of playing around on the piano and one by one the other band members join him on stage. They start off playing somewhat tentatively until they get a feel for what is happening, ultimately they're all playing full-on. And it really does a nice job of capturing what it must be like to be a touring band.

I don’t know that any would get to the “best” levels, but Townes van Zandt and Lyle Lovett knew/know how to write songs. That’s what happens when you pay your dues.

Last edited:
On my list
Iowa Fight Song
On Iowa
Stars and Stripes Forever
Twentieth Century Fox Movie Intro (Old version)
Freebird (Live version)
Hawkeye Victory Polka

It is a great song for sure, but I would say lyrically it is flawed; for years I thought this song was about a douche.
Bruce Springsteen wrote it. He himself said it has no meaning, he went through a dictionary and just found words to rhyme to the melody.

• Haha
Reactions: drew_hawk
ADVERTISEMENT