ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest Song Ever Written

Impossible task but in addition to several above, I thought about these:

Walls - Petty
Atlantic City - Bruce (The Band’s cover was better)
Here Comes the Sun - Harrison
This Must Be the Place - Talking Heads
So Far Away - King
On My Lonesome Mind - Williams
He Stopped Loving Her Today - Jones
First Cut is the Deepest - Cat
Sunday Morning Coming Down - Cash (Kris)
Crazy - Patsy (Willie)

But ultimately went with:

Always on my Mind - just perfect lyrics about screwing up a good relationship and trying to apologize

The most poignant, soulful & endures the test of time song ever written is ............................. drumroll..........

You Can't Roller Skate in a Buffalo Herd, written and performed by Roger Miller - 1965.

The most poignant, soulful & endures the test of time song ever written is ............................. drumroll..........

You Can't Roller Skate in a Buffalo Herd, written and performed by Roger Miller - 1965.
So much truth packed into that song.

Reactions: Mike Zierath
Post what you consider the greatest song ever written. It doesn't need to be your favorite song, or even necessarily a song you like, just what you consider to be lyrically the best song written of those you have heard. Only one song per person, please. Take your time.
1A- Happy Birthday
1B- Amazing Grace

Here’s a new poll direction. If you had to pick a band to back you up would it be:
A - mussel shoals swampers
B - e street band
C - wrecking crew
D - the large band

Here’s a new poll direction. If you had to pick a band to back you up would it be:
A - mussel shoals swampers
B - e street band
C - wrecking crew
D - the large band
We saw D give a great performance one night. I lose track, but there were multiple pianos, an organ, many guitarists and bassists, horns, and killer back up vocalists. It was truly a large band. Lyle was righteous that night as well.

Reactions: Aardvark86

I wanted to post a Dubya era protest song from this guy but this is a much more universal song lyrically.

Reactions: Moral
We saw D give a great performance one night. I lose track, but there were multiple pianos, an organ, many guitarists and bassists, horns, and killer back up vocalists. It was truly a large band. Lyle was righteous that night as well.
I see him every year, but will miss this year while at glacier. Amazing bunch of musicians. Love how the pedal steel and cello are incorporated. The horns, btw, are basically the mussel shoals horns. And when Francine Reed is with them, wowza!!

Reactions: billanole
I see him every year, but will miss this year while at glacier. Amazing bunch of musicians. Love how the pedal steel and cello are incorporated. The horns, btw, are basically the mussel shoals horns. And when Francine Reed is with them, wowza!!
We saw them at an outdoor venue a little east of Knoxville in a pretty strong rain. There was a flat roof over the stage which was lowered down to prevent water issues. Lots of umbrellas and rain gear in the crowd. Lyle praised the crowd multiple times and said that, “If you are willing to sit out there, we are willing to give you your money’s worth.” Great show…

Since we’ve abandoned the one song rule already, I’m gonna throw in a couple under the radar solid works…

One from a legend: Paul Simon’s Hearts and Bones; and

One from a not-so-legend: Death Cab for Cutie’s cover of L. Cohen’s I Will Follow You into the Dark

Reactions: hwk23
We saw them at an outdoor venue a little east of Knoxville in a pretty strong rain. There was a flat roof over the stage which was lowered down to prevent water issues. Lots of umbrellas and rain gear in the crowd. Lyle praised the crowd multiple times and said that, “If you are willing to sit out there, we are willing to give you your money’s worth.” Great show…
I had that experience at wolf trap Hadn’t been so cold in years.

Since we’ve abandoned the one song rule already, I’m gonna throw in a couple under the radar solid works…

One from a not-so-legend: Death Cab for Cutie’s cover of L. Cohen’s I Will Follow You into the Dark
That's a Leonard Cohen song? I never knew that.

I didn't realize that was L Cohen. Pretty cool.

I didn't realize that was L Cohen. Pretty cool.
Well now you guys have made me doubt myself. I thought it was but I’m gonna go check. Getting old sucks.

edit to add: Okay, I’m full of sh!t. It is a DCFC original. Not sure how I got that in my head that it was a cover.

I feel shame.

Well now you guys have made me doubt myself. I thought it was but I’m gonna go check. Getting old sucks.

edit to add: Okay, I’m full of sh!t. It is a DCFC original. Not sure how I got that in my head that it was a cover.

I feel shame.
Well, I imagined it as an L Cohen cover and it checked out. Sort of reminded me of this one.

Paul McCartney said " God Only Knows" is his pick. But what would he know...

ADVERTISEMENT