ADVERTISEMENT

Greenlee

coe76

All-Conference
Aug 21, 2002
Toussaint has committed. Collins apparently committed to St. Louis. Any word on Greenlee? Is he still visiting? Are we done looking at guards for 2019? I would love either Brooks or TJD as an additional big but will not hold my breath.

Toussaint has committed. Collins apparently committed to St. Louis. Any word on Greenlee? Is he still visiting? Are we done looking at guards for 2019? I would love either Brooks or TJD as an additional big but will not hold my breath.
Well considering were full for 2019 I'd assume holding out for TJD if not him then no body?

Reactions: hawkfanmb
Well considering were full for 2019 I'd assume holding out for TJD if not him then no body?
I would think if Brooks or TJD wants to commt, Patrick would walk on. Not sure that scenario will occur though. Brooks visited on his own a few weeks ago so there is some mutual interest. We will see.

Let's take them both! Connor has scholly he could use for the betterment of the team... And I like Greenlee's range and size. He could definitely play the off guard or wing in a smaller lineup

I don't think we need to start overstuffing the roster, unless the player we're making room for is a program-changer. As of now we'll have seven guards on the team in 2019: Bohannon, Moss, Dailey, C. McCaffery, Wieskamp, Fredrick, and Toussaint. We're fine at guard.

Let's call it good and go after more guard talent in 2020.

Reactions: CLARKCOURT
Let's take them both! Connor has scholly he could use for the betterment of the team... And I like Greenlee's range and size. He could definitely play the off guard or wing in a smaller lineup

I don't know much about the kid other than his offers from Morehead State and I think Arkansas State. Maybe he is below the radar, but if not, he will be another Ingram, Williams, Ellingson type player that needs to play at a lower level. I think a dynamic athlete like Cook will be more valuable than another combo guard. Who knows?

We currently have 12 Scholly players for 2018-19
Baer Graduates
Cook likely to go pro

That would be 3 available for next year without putting CMac or PMac walkon status

Connors scholarship can't be used by anyone but him unless he leaves the program.

Connors scholarship can't be used by anyone but him unless he leaves the program.

I do not think that is the case. There is an B1G & NCAA rule on that. However I believe it does allow for a player to voluntarily give up the scholarship...

I remember looking into it a long time ago. I will research it again and post the link.

Not true unless they've changed the rules recently.

Examples: Michael Bradley of UConn gave up his scholarship for Andre Drummond.

Doug McDermott gave up his scholly as well in 2013/14.

The B1G put in the rule after Doug McDermott... But I am fairly certain that Connor could give up his scholarship voluntarily...

The rule is so that schools can't just bounce someone's scholarship, if they want to continue school there. Which the school should not be allowed to do...
But if a kid wants to pay their own way, take a presidential scholarship or some other means, they can do so.

I do not think that is the case. There is an B1G & NCAA rule on that. However I believe it does allow for a player to voluntarily give up the scholarship...

I remember looking into it a long time ago. I will research it again and post the link.

Not true unless they've changed the rules recently.

Examples: Michael Bradley of UConn gave up his scholarship for Andre Drummond.

Doug McDermott gave up his scholly as well in 2013/14.

Yes it was changed recently.

Since Connor started out his collegiate career as a walk on his scholarship can be given to someone else.
So the 4 year scholarship only applies to those brought in on scholarship? I would think the B1G would want similar opportunities for walk-on's put on scholarship, and give them whatever's left of the first 4 years on the team.

Even if Connor started on scholly, there is no way they could prevent him from not using his scholarship if that's what he wanted to do.

Reactions: 24 so far
So the 4 year scholarship only applies to those brought in on scholarship? I would think the B1G would want similar opportunities for walk-on's put on scholarship, and give them whatever's left of the first 4 years on the team.

I think the thought process on this is....say a scholarship player leaves late in the summer...Fran doesn’t have time or desire to replace him at that time....so rather than that scholarship sit unused, he can use it to reward a walk on player, even if for just that one season.

Reactions: unclesammy
I agree and would lean towards the 1 season unless the kid can really play. Credit to Baer for earning a scholarship, but there is no excuse for a walk on to be better than 1/3 of your scholarship players and Baer was his freshman and sophomore years. Unfortunately he has peaked and needs to get fewer minutes IMO unless he can up his offense. Plays too many minutes to just hustle.

I agree and would lean towards the 1 season unless the kid can really play. Credit to Baer for earning a scholarship, but there is no excuse for a walk on to be better than 1/3 of your scholarship players and Baer was his freshman and sophomore years. Unfortunately he has peaked and needs to get fewer minutes IMO unless he can up his offense. Plays too many minutes to just hustle.

His wrist injury at the beginning of the season last year was the worst thing to happen to him, and that young team... Horrible timing... Coupled with the loss of CW, another injured player, and that spelled doom. The team never got it together. Nor did Baer.

NB will have a better season. Count on it. Albeit fewer minutes.as the talent around him has gotten much better... and experienced.

Since Connor started out his collegiate career as a walk on his scholarship can be given to someone else.
Thanks for the clarification. Does the 4-year rule apply as soon as a kid signs? Theoretically, could Fran also have Patrick start as a walk on, and then convert him to a scholarship if he couldn't sign another high-level recruit? I am not advocating for that strategy, just curious.

I would be surprised if Baer averages 20 mpg this year. Probably around 15.
I am wondering if Baer's Soph year was an aberration, or whether the injury and other team issues caused him to play below his capability last year. A lot of the problem is that Baer is better as a 4, but we are stacked full of 4s, so he played most of his time at 3.

I would be surprised if Baer averages 20 mpg this year. Probably around 15.

That's probably about right. Maybe even a little lower. Joe W will get most the minutes at the 3. Depends on just how good the kid is. But all accounts point to really good..

Baer's minutes will depend on who we play and how we play... If we go short he could get some time at the 4. Sliding Cook or someone else to the 5. Then run & gun.

That's probably about right. Maybe even a little lower. Joe W will get most the minutes at the 3. Depends on just how good the kid is. But all accounts point to really good..

Baer's minutes will depend on who we play and how we play... If we go short he could get some time at the 4. Sliding Cook or someone else to the 5. Then run & gun.

I am going to guess that Joe W and Maishe eat up a lot of those minutes at the 3........I am just a fan and don't pretend basketball expertise, but I think Nic is a mismatch at the 4 where his quickness is an advantage. At the 3 he appears to be somewhat of a liability, because of his level of quickness.....that's my guess.

I am going to guess that Joe W and Maishe eat up a lot of those minutes at the 3........I am just a fan and don't pretend basketball expertise, but I think Nic is a mismatch at the 4 where his quickness is an advantage. At the 3 he appears to be somewhat of a liability, because of his level of quickness.....that's my guess.

This is exactly how I see it too. It will be Joe and Dailey at the 3 spot. Baer is much better utilized at the 4 spot IMO.

Reactions: perryhawk
I am wondering if Baer's Soph year was an aberration, or whether the injury and other team issues caused him to play below his capability last year. A lot of the problem is that Baer is better as a 4, but we are stacked full of 4s, so he played most of his time at 3.

Baer needs to be a knock down 3 point shooter to see extended run. If he can hit open 3's at 40% clip, then he can space the floor on the offense, hustle, rebound, and play good team defense. He's then a quintessential 3 and D player who is a decent fit when the lineup is featuring other ball dominant players.

But if Baer can't space the floor, and he's playing the 3, he's just handicapping the offense, because he's no threat to beat his man individually. Teams can help off him, clog the paint. Baer also shouldn't play primarily with second-teamers for this same reason. He needs to play with good offensive players who draw attention and he functions as a floor spacer with good size.

Thanks for the clarification. Does the 4-year rule apply as soon as a kid signs? Theoretically, could Fran also have Patrick start as a walk on, and then convert him to a scholarship if he couldn't sign another high-level recruit? I am not advocating for that strategy, just curious.

Theres no way the conference could argue against someone giving up their scholarship and coming back as a walk on.

It's an absurd path.

They cant stop someone from walking on just because they used to be on scholarship. The logic doesn't hold up.

If a kid doesn't want to give up his ship than he cant be forced to.

His wrist injury at the beginning of the season last year was the worst thing to happen to him, and that young team... Horrible timing... Coupled with the loss of CW, another injured player, and that spelled doom. The team never got it together. Nor did Baer.

NB will have a better season. Count on it. Albeit fewer minutes.as the talent around him has gotten much better... and experienced.

I hope you are right. IMO, Fran had more to do with Baer's struggles last year than the wrist injury. Baer is not a 3 point shooter. Post him up, let him use his old man YMCA game down low or be a distributor. At least he will be close enough to crash the glass, which is best attribute. Putting him beyond the arc having him jack up 3's at a sub 30% clip was another mind boggling move by Fran. Fran has yet to grasp how to utilize his players, which makes me highly suspect he can improve on his very pedestrian 8 years.

I think the thought process on this is....say a scholarship player leaves late in the summer...Fran doesn’t have time or desire to replace him at that time....so rather than that scholarship sit unused, he can use it to reward a walk on player, even if for just that one season.
I'm glad it's set up that way. It's more likely a coach would use an unused scholarship if they aren't locked in to a multi year commitment. We all know Connor was a little different case though. If his last name wasn't McCaffery he would have had a scholarship last year.

I hope you are right. IMO, Fran had more to do with Baer's struggles last year than the wrist injury. Baer is not a 3 point shooter. Post him up, let him use his old man YMCA game down low or be a distributor. At least he will be close enough to crash the glass, which is best attribute. Putting him beyond the arc having him jack up 3's at a sub 30% clip was another mind boggling move by Fran. Fran has yet to grasp how to utilize his players, which makes me highly suspect he can improve on his very pedestrian 8 years.

Baer shot 40% from 3 each of his first two seasons...

Baer shot 40% from 3pt land his first two years... Dropped to 30% last year. Just sayin...

I've contended that the talent level has caught up to Nicholas and also that he may be scouted better or have peaked performance-wise.

But, don't call his season when he was 6th man of the year in the B1G an abberation. He played a full season at a high level and deserved that award.

I'm hoping for a magical year from Mr Baer. He doesn't have to start or lead the team in points or rebounds or blocked shots or 3s. He just needs to efficiently contribute in meaningful ways that justify his playing time, be it 10, 15, 20 or 25 minutes.

If he's playing 25, we're/he's doing something magical.

Baer is more of a 3-point shooter than he is a post up guy. If Fran started posting up Baer, then that would be mind boggling.

His first two seasons he was very efficient and only took very selective shots. Last year it looked like he was pressing and trying to do more then what he is capable of doing. It led to a lot of forced shots and a poor %. Get back to taking quality shots and his percentage will be back at 40%. Good teams recognize the opponents limitations as well as there own.

Baer's primary value isn't scoring. He should never be more than the fourth option on the floor. He can hit shots, if he doesn't have to create them or rush them. He also understands how to facilitate other scorers, and anticipates offensive rebounds really well.

By far, Baer's greatest value is his overall floor game and the disruption he can cause the other team, if used appropriately on the defensive end. Baer is at his best when he can use his instincts and quick reactions/ anticipation to what is going on around him. He is NOT a lock down defender, especially on the perimeter against a quicker 3. He can minimize some 4s, like he did against MSU, if the other team's biggest threat is at that position. When Baer is forced to guard the other team's third perimeter player, which is what he was trying to do most of last season, it usually takes him away from the basket, where he is our best rim protector (despite his skinny stature) and he anticipates rebounds better than anyone else on the team.

This is really a pickle that Fran created by recruiting so many "4s", who are even less suited to slide to the 3 than Baer. I expect Joe W and probably Dailey to play most of the minutes at 3, with Baer splitting minutes at 3/4 for 15-20 min off the bench in 4-5 min bursts. Fran needs to put him in lineups that allow him to be the disruptor that he was two years ago, not in situations where they expect him to guard someone 20 feet from the basket.

The fact you think Baer would be best utilized in the post says all we need to know about your basketball acumen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT