ADVERTISEMENT

Greenway Retiring

The guy was a stud for many seasons. Congrats to him for a stellar career.

He certainly did the Iowa Football program proud in his career in the NFL. And considering he tore an ACL on the first play of his NFL career speaks to his perserverance and work ethic. Both of which were always on display at Iowa. The consummate professional and a great ambassador for the University of Iowa. Good luck with your future endeavors #52!! Hawkeye Nation thanks you for all you have given on the football field.

Congrats on retiring while still being able to walk Chad!!
If you need a fishing partner, I'm available :)

My favorite Hawk while I was a student. It's a shame he was stuck with that franchise, but I'm glad he did well. His injury worried me, remember he was injured early at Iowa too. Great comeback from Chad.

seems a good time to grab that Greenway fella by the ear , drag Him to Iowa City and inform Him He will be the new LB coach once the 10th staff rule goes into effect.

seems a good time to grab that Greenway fella by the ear , drag Him to Iowa City and inform Him He will be the new LB coach once the 10th staff rule goes into effect.

My guess is that Greenway goes into broadcasting. He is very comfortable on radio and television and he has done a ton of interviews over the years. He is well liked by the media and fans and you would be hard pressed to find another player who has done more charity events.

Would love to have him on staff if he wants to coach but I just don't see him returning to Iowa City. He has always been a great ambassador for the Hawkeyes.

Reactions: 24 so far
I've heard he wants to move to Iowa City and I've heard he wants to stay in Minneapolis. Idk which is right, but he earned his choice. Great guy, with everything he does wherever he goes

I'd be very surprised he doesn't find a nice piece of land and hunts/fishes in solitude the rest of his life. I'd love for him to get into coaching, but for some reason I don't see it.

But I could be wrong...

The Vikings seemed like the perfect landing spot for him given his background, too.

Utterly great Hawkeye.

That gets me to a wonderin'
Who were the last Hawkeyes on the Bears....Bortz? Jay Hilgenberg?

I found a Wikipedia page for Hawkeyes draft positions - looks like the most recent was Bill Anderson in the 7th round of the 1990 draft. Prior to that it was Bortz drafted in '83.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Iowa_Hawkeyes_in_the_NFL_Draft

Moeaki did get signed last year but got cut prior to the regular season I think. I'm sure I am forgetting plenty of players that the Bears have signed/traded for over the years but in my lifetime there's never been an impact player like a Greenway or Bulaga drafted by the Bears. They all go to our rivals instead.

I believe Iowa was playing Minnesota when Greenway had a huge TFL that pushed Minnny back to a really long field goal attempt which was missed resulting in a win for the Hawks! Big time play. Am i remembering that correctly? Been awhile now..

I believe Iowa was playing Minnesota when Greenway had a huge TFL that pushed Minnny back to a really long field goal attempt which was missed resulting in a win for the Hawks! Big time play. Am i remembering that correctly? Been awhile now..
I also remember him knifing through the line right after the handoff; I can see it now. But, after pulling up the game log, turns out that wasn't the play right before their FG attempt.

M 2-8 I31 Barber III, M. rush for loss of 4 yards to the IOWA35 (Greenway, Chad).
M 3-12 I35 Timeout Iowa Hawkeyes, clock 00:56.
M 3-12 I35 Barber III, M. rush for 1 yard to the IOWA34 (Paschal, Marcus).
M 4-11 I34 Timeout Iowa Hawkeyes, clock 00:32.
M 4-11 I34 Lloyd, Rhys field goal attempt from 51 MISSED - wide left, spot at IOWA34, clock 00:28

29-27 final
Hard to say if those 4 yards made all the difference on the kick, but it sure stopped their momentum. Their ground game was grinding us down and they were mounting a sort of comeback. Instead of getting their 3/4 yards two more times for a low-mid 40s kick, Greenway and Paschal made back to back plays to make it 50+.

Reactions: WildTurk

I was at a wedding Des Moines and the groom was a HUGE Gopher Fan. When they started running the ball down our throats all the hawk fans got a little concerned. Then Greenway knifed in and shut it down. His leg was wrapped for some reason and he still made the play!

Reactions: WildTurk
Beautiful home on a lake, doubt he will want to move to Iowa.

I also remember him knifing through the line right after the handoff; I can see it now. But, after pulling up the game log, turns out that wasn't the play right before their FG attempt.

M 2-8 I31 Barber III, M. rush for loss of 4 yards to the IOWA35 (Greenway, Chad).
M 4-11 I34 Lloyd, Rhys field goal attempt from 51 MISSED - wide left, spot at IOWA34, clock 00:28

29-27 final
Hard to say if those 4 yards made all the difference on the kick, but it sure stopped their momentum. Their ground game was grinding us down and they were mounting a sort of comeback. Instead of getting their 3/4 yards two more times for a low-mid 40s kick, Greenway and Paschal made back to back plays to make it 50+.
Good god you have a memory and a half!

would have loved to have had chad on my team... you know, the GB Packers. the ones that always win the north and have super bowl rings... yeah, we're jelly.
Always win the North?............How does that work when the Vikings have 19 division titles to your 18? :eek:

But yes you are jealous. At least you could admit that. :cool:

Always win the North?............How does that work when the Vikings have 19 division titles to your 18? :eek:

But yes you are jealous. At least you could admit that. :cool:
If you're going to start a manhood size comparison contest with Packers fans, I recommend you avoid the "number of titles" battleground.

If you're going to start a manhood size comparison contest with Packers fans, I recommend you avoid the "number of titles" battleground.
Are you assuming I'm not aware of Super Bowl titles, and that I give a f***?

I operate differently than most fans in that I don't let championships settle arguments for me.

Otherwise Iowa fans could never win any arguments with the likes of Ohio State, Alabama, Florida and even Nebraska fans......but I (and 'WE') still do.

So yeah, Green Bay has won Super Bowl titles and Minnesota hasn't.

That's not gonna stop me from winning an argument with Packers fans. And when they walk away because all they got is the SB argument, I'll know you got nothing else.....and with me you're gonna need more than just championships. (again see Nebraska fans)

You're welcome. :cool:

I operate differently than most fans in that I don't let championships settle arguments for me.
Can't say I blame you. If I was part of that fanbase, I'd rather avoid that subject as well. And who said I was engaging in or starting an argument? I'm just making a friendly suggestion to a fellow Hawk fan.

Can't say I blame you. If I was part of that fanbase, I'd rather avoid that subject as well. And who said I was engaging in or starting an argument? I'm just making a friendly suggestion to a fellow Hawk fan.
I was speaking in general.

And I don't avoid the SB subject just like Iowa fans don't avoid Nebraska's 5 titles. They mock them for it. :D

Find ways to use their best argument against them and what do they have?

People get so attached to championships. I never understood that. Shelf life is a real thing.....and it does have an expiration date.

I agree to the extent that titles are overweighted, especially when comparing individual players. But if you're talking smack between teams, it's more than valid to point to them. Especially over division titles. Hawks may have good pickings for making jokes at Nebraska, but we're lying if we say we wouldn't take their on-field success in the mid-90s.

Titles come and go, but as a fan it's sure nice to see your team win it. Wouldn't you like to see your Vikings get it done at least once?

I agree to the extent that titles are overweighted, especially when comparing individual players. But if you're talking smack between teams, it's more than valid to point to them. Especially over division titles. Hawks may have good pickings for making jokes at Nebraska, but we're lying if we say we wouldn't take their on-field success in the mid-90s.

Titles come and go, but as a fan it's sure nice to see your team win it. Wouldn't you like to see your Vikings get it done at least once?
Oh I'm sure they will eventually (*coughnextyearcough*).

But then what are Packers and Bears fans gonna do? Once that happens, they'll merely only be able to say they have "more", and nobody wants to be that fan (aka a Patriots fan).

:cool:

29-27 final

I was at that game. The Greenway play was huge - flew through the line and smoked Barber literally right as he got the ball. I remember thinking after the game that play won the game for us. Got the Iowa fans in the dome fired up and then Paschal shut it down on the next play too. Rhys Lloyd was a fairly reliably kicker for the Gophers and likely would have hit from 40-45. Ended up pushing it just left instead when having to kick from further out.

Roth, Greenway, Sanders, etc. Those Norm-era defenses definitely brought the punishment.

Reactions: 24 so far and nu2u
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT