ADVERTISEMENT

Grinnell Running Back 9 TDs and way over 1K yards in 4 games

Ozzy4335

HR MVP
Jul 27, 2020
Wyatt Hunter just hung 450 on Oskaloosa. He had 261 in 2 quarters the week before. Why isn't this Senior being recruited?

Watching his highlights, he's a fantastic football player, but nowhere close to a D1 level athlete.

Doesn't have the shake, explosiveness, or top-end gear for D1. I'd guess he runs an electronic 4.9-4.8 40.

He'll make a fantastic D2/D3 player.

I'd say he's faster than 4.9. He's running away from pretty much everyone and easily. And this is 3A, not 1A, so there should be someone on the other side with decent speed. But, there was some pretty bad tackling and gap filling that led to several of those runs. A better defense should have stopped many of those for 5-10 yard gains instead of 60 yard TDs. Having said that, 5-10 yard gains are still pretty dang good for a RB.

I could see Iowa trying to get him to walk on like Marcus Schnoor did who also did dang well as player of the year in 3A. Or, at 5'11" and 200lbs, he could potentially bulk up into a good FB. Either way I don't see us offering a scholarship out of high school but he could earn one.

Reactions: EKHawk
This video isn't showing much "pop" or explosiveness. Many runs he's not getting touches until 10+ yds downfield because that defense doesn't seem to know how to fill gaps and looks to be afraid of contact...?
I'd imagine we'll hear about him having a big season for Wartburg or central.

Appears to have good vision, but he's rarely touched. Really poor angles taken by the Osky secondary players. Hard to take much else from that tape. Maybe seeing him against someone that actually touches him once in awhile would help.

I'd say he's faster than 4.9. He's running away from pretty much everyone and easily. And this is 3A, not 1A, so there should be someone on the other side with decent speed. But, there was some pretty bad tackling and gap filling that led to several of those runs. A better defense should have stopped many of those for 5-10 yard gains instead of 60 yard TDs. Having said that, 5-10 yard gains are still pretty dang good for a RB.

I could see Iowa trying to get him to walk on like Marcus Schnoor did who also did dang well as player of the year in 3A. Or, at 5'11" and 200lbs, he could potentially bulk up into a good FB. Either way I don't see us offering a scholarship out of high school but he could earn one.
osky got beat by an average 1a school did they not? Osky is a slightly above average 1a school.
With that being said Iowa has done well with 1a 2a iowa kids.

Whereas I agree young Mr. Hunter doesn't seem to possess a Division 1 stride, I'm not certain any of us can adequately measure his speed in a highlight video. One comment I found humorous was the assumption that only larger class schools have D-1 talent (speed). I would suggest you take a look at multiple class track champions and I believe you would find little separates small school title holders against their larger counterparts.

Whereas I agree young Mr. Hunter doesn't seem to possess a Division 1 stride, I'm not certain any of us can adequately measure his speed in a highlight video. One comment I found humorous was the assumption that only larger class schools have D-1 talent (speed). I would suggest you take a look at multiple class track champions and I believe you would find little separates small school title holders against their larger counterparts.

lol

Saying only large schools have D1 talent is indeed stupid, especially since Iowa has proved otherwise with some of the kids who have done well from smaller schools, but you have got to be kidding about running track.

IDK, the 1A 100M champ wouldve gotten 7th in 4A last state meet. 4/10 of a second might as well be a mile

Wyattis 4.7 range. He went to state in track as a freshman so hes not a snail by any means. He's also an excellent linebacker.

I didn't read every comment in this thread, so I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.
I said that he was playing against a 3A school, so there should be someone with some speed on the other side of the field. I guess that translated in someone’s head that I said that any class smaller doesn’t have any speed.

My statement is that there is a higher likelihood that there will be fast players in the larger schools. That doesn’t mean that it is impossible that a small school would have someone fast on it too, just that the probability is lower.

But, someone here said he has 4.7 speed. In a straight line that isn’t too bad for a high schooler. 4 years of college S&C could drop that to just below 4.6 which is pretty decent for a RB. But he doesn’t seem to have all that much wiggle in his running that is needed for a RB. Hence my suggestion of being a walk on FB after bulking up. Someone earlier said he could probably tear it up in the Iowa Conference and I could see that too.

I said that he was playing against a 3A school, so there should be someone with some speed on the other side of the field. I guess that translated in someone’s head that I said that any class smaller doesn’t have any speed.

My statement is that there is a higher likelihood that there will be fast players in the larger schools. That doesn’t mean that it is impossible that a small school would have someone fast on it too, just that the probability is lower.

But, someone here said he has 4.7 speed. In a straight line that isn’t too bad for a high schooler. 4 years of college S&C could drop that to just below 4.6 which is pretty decent for a RB. But he doesn’t seem to have all that much wiggle in his running that is needed for a RB. Hence my suggestion of being a walk on FB after bulking up. Someone earlier said he could probably tear it up in the Iowa Conference and I could see that too.

I don't put much stock in a lot of claims that get made on here. I agree with your post.

Thank you for the info, Mr. Hunter
It took this thread longer than expected for this be a reply. Lol. Who knows maybe he will get a chance to walk on at a bigger school. One thing is true..that Oskaloosa team was bad...really bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT