ADVERTISEMENT

Grocery bill

HawkMachine

HR Heisman
Jul 6, 2020
IOWA
This has NOTHING to do with politics.

I'm putting together basically an income statement for myself just to get a better understanding of my finances. Wife wants a much bigger/expensive house.

I asked my wife how much we spend on groceries a month and she said probably $1,000.

I about chit my pants.

So I'm really curious, how much do you think you spend on groceries a month? And how many mouths are you feeding?

$1,000/month. Family of 5 but I'm basically feeding 4 as one is in college.

Is there anything wrong with your current house? Sounds like there's probably more room now than in a while and even more to come in the near future? Sorry OP, but I already don't like your wife.

• Haha
Reactions: BEAVERDALEHAWK

I'm putting together basically an income statement for myself just to get a better understanding of my finances. Wife wants a much bigger/expensive house.

I asked my wife how much we spend on groceries a month and she said probably $1,000.

I about chit my pants.

So I'm really curious, how much do you think you spend on groceries a month? And how many mouths are you feeding?

I live by myself and typically spend between $300-400 a month. That figure also depends on if I buy my beer at the grocery store or the liquor store. I think I eat reasonably well but don't splurge very often.

Prob around $550-600. 2 adults no kids. Maybe eat out 10 times (lunch and dinner between us combined)

I about chit my pants.

We're definitely in that ballpark but it's four adults. Both sons grown...one is high-functioning ASD and one is in college locally.

I'd say $130 a week or less for my wife, 4 year old, and I. We also eat out 4-5 times a week and I'm rarely home for lunch and eat on the road.

4 adults here too and my groceries have cost $8,777 this year, so about the same. Also $11,687 in the last 12 montsh. I've been tracking all of my expenses in Quicken for the past couple of years to plan for retirement.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Single guy here. I average $275 per month for food for this calendar year so far. That's all in - eating out, groceries, etc. If I am at a convenience store and grab a candy bar or something to drink, that's included.

Everything I spend on food/drink is in that column. And as for eating out, it is so ridiculously expensive nowadays that I don't really do so more than once a month.

I'm the poorest bastard on this board. I need to know where every penny goes so I can stick to my budget. So...receipts always for everything, all bills, etc - I piece it out into 13 different categories in a spreadsheet. I also know on a yearly and monthly basis when every bill will be due.

Been so long I've been late on a bill I honestly don't remember when - pretty sure it was the mid 1990's.

Single guy here. I average $275 per month for food for this calendar year so far. That's all in - eating out, groceries, etc. If I am at a convenience store and grab a candy bar or something to drink, that's included.

Everything I spend on food/drink is in that column. And as for eating out, it is so ridiculously expensive nowadays that I don't really do so more than once a month.

I'm the poorest bastard on this board. I need to know where every penny goes so I can stick to my budget. So...receipts always for everything, all bills, etc - I piece it out into 13 different categories in a spreadsheet. I also know on a yearly and monthly basis when every bill will be due.

Been so long I've been late on a bill I honestly don't remember when - pretty sure it was the mid 1990's.

Hold up, aren't you the one that eats once a week?

my wife went to HV last and dropped $175 to get us through the rest of the week

we spend about $600/mo (family of 4) and we probably eat out nearly every Sat & Sun

I about chit my pants.

That's about right. My wife (no pics) spends $230-250 per week for our family of 4 (#5, the oldest, is out of the house so not counting him). I too almost crapped my pants as I recall spending about 50-60% of that just a few years ago. She says inflation and food prices have gotten ridiculous. We've even changed our buying habits substituting to avoid overpaying, stocking up when items are on sale, and it's still bad.

2 adults, 2 kids. Live in NJ. We eat a lot of natural (very little processed) food. So fresh veggies, fruits, meats, seafood, etc.

We spend about $2k a month now on groceries. It’s obscene. Now “groceries” includes personal care stuff from Target (shampoo, deodorant, paper towels, etc).

Is there anything wrong with your current house? Sounds like there's probably more room now than in a while and even more to come in the near future? Sorry OP, but I already don't like your wife.
It needs new practically everything. Windows, siding, for starters.

It's a small, simple ranch.

We are living well below our means.

It was a good starter home 20 years ago.

I'm not one for keeping up with the joneses but it's probably time for an upgrade.

All I know is that my food budget could double and it wouldn't hurt me that much. I have no idea what I spend on food alone, but I spend well over 1000 per month for everything I buy, including household supplies, personal supplies, etc. at the "grocery"store. Two people and a part-time 3rd.

It needs new practically everything. Windows, siding, for starters.

It's a small, simple ranch.

We are living well below our means.

It was a good starter home 20 years ago.

I'm not one for keeping up with the joneses but it's probably time for an upgrade.
If you made it 20 years you can do 1 more. I'd wait to see how this housing market settles a little bit.

I about chit my pants.

Tough to say. Probably between 1,500 and 2,000 at Sam's, Costco, Target, local grocery stores, etc, but a fair chunk of those purchases are not "groceries" but other items picked up like cleaning supplies, fuel for grills, wine and spirits, socks/shorts, etc, and we do not eat out very often. 2 adults and two teenagers.

Reactions: nolesincebirth

I about chit my pants.

I ran a few Quicken queries for ya.

For a family of 3:

Groceries year-to-date: $9,073.71
Dinning out year-to-date: $5,474.43

Groceries Jan 2022: $951
Groceries Aug 2022: $875

Family of four, probably 900-1100/month just at the grocery. I’m a terrible shopper though- I buy 2-3 days food at a time, which is 75% snacks and shit for the kids. I’m across from the grocery and make multiple small trips per week, and I think my much poorer younger self has a mental block for spending hundreds at the store at once.

Sounds about right. We are a family of 4 and eat almost every meal at home. It averages to about $30/day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT