ADVERTISEMENT

Guardian caps now allowed in NFL Games

Don Beebe was a trend setter. He had that foam pad on his helmet. There was a 49ers player that did too. I can’t see alot of guys opting for this, but it’s now an option for guys recovering from concussions.

Mark kelso, not Don Beebe

Guy Mcintyre was the 49er.
Don_Beebe.0.jpg
Beebe is who I remember.

a player wearing a Guardian Cap could have the impact of a helmet hit reduced by at least 10 percent. Players both wearing the shell who collide on a helmet-to-helmet hit had the force of impact reduced by at least 20 percent.

^ is there a correlation in reducing concussions? Article doesn't say (or I missed it) and I am curious.

a player wearing a Guardian Cap could have the impact of a helmet hit reduced by at least 10 percent. Players both wearing the shell who collide on a helmet-to-helmet hit had the force of impact reduced by at least 20 percent.

^ is there a correlation in reducing concussions? Article doesn't say (or I missed it) and I am curious.
They say that it does reduce concussions. I wonder if it will be the practice variety or something sexier. At any rate, good to know some people in the NFL are waking up. And oh yeah, plenty of concussions and CTE in rugby and Aussie rules football as well.

Soft helmets or soft helmet liners should be required for all players. And that should have become a rule decades ago.

It's about time. It makes no sense to use them in practice but not games; seems even more ridiculous that we haven't made them at least an option for HS, if not mandatory.

They don’t look “cool.” That’s honestly the reason they’re not already standard equipment. So stupid.

Reactions: CaboKP
They say that it does reduce concussions. I wonder if it will be the practice variety or something sexier. At any rate, good to know some people in the NFL are waking up. And oh yeah, plenty of concussions and CTE in rugby and Aussie rules football as well.

Years ago, the same company that built foam shells for Mark Kelso and Steve Wallace designed a full soft shelled helmet.

XdbBYRWUmI88nydeaJTqJSiDXZn5qzYZSbJpxGxHgPHSUw4G6yZGz6Cjd_xzyMCIV6q55FfkRHXZbiiNi4VlClYk

Reactions: GOHOX69
They don’t look “cool.” That’s honestly the reason they’re not already standard equipment. So stupid.
I would assume we'd see trickle down to college and the HS level.

Our HS only has enough for OL and DL at the moment. I may have to be one of those nagging parents that pushes funding be put towards more. If IAHS allows them for games, I'll buy one for my son and he'll be wearing it or he can find the bench.

Concussions aren't to messed with. I had two in my teen years and I believe it's had an impact.

Reactions: dadster
All for it.... But are they working on any kind of integrated helmet that has the soft outer layer better incorporated into the helmet, rather than just strapped on like these.

The different chunks of padding kinda of looks cool, just have it part of the helmet and throw some logos on it.

I don't remember McIntyre having one, but Steve Wallace used a foam cover on his helmet
I'm almost sure McIntyre wore one at some point, just maybe not full time. But maybe it was just Wallace since I can't find a picture of it.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT