ADVERTISEMENT

Guess what I'm going to do tomorrow?

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
30fI6Eg.jpg

Okay, so I've watched a lot of videos on this, and everything I've seen seems like the outcome was disappointing. Some complained that the seasonings washed out of the meat, the pineapple made the meat mushy, the bacon got burned trying to get the internal temp high enough, etc.

So, what I've done is cut a pork tenderloin into strips. They are marinating right now in a blend of sesame oil, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, lime juice, salt and pepper. After an hour or so, I'll pull them from the marinade, and rub them down with an Asian spice blend seasoning I have. I'll smoke them on the PBC for about a half an hour or so, until a bit of bark forms and the meat is 140 degrees or so. Let it cool.

Since the meat is precooked, I won't have to stress about getting the internal all the way to 145 degrees. When the bacon looks perfect, I can pull the pineapple. I am hoping this results in flavorful meat that's not overpowered by the pineapple flavor, but rather, complements it. And the meat will have a smoky flavor as well.

Then I'll prepare the second pineapple for step two of today's adventure.

Stay tuned for more and for pics.

Last edited:
Here's a temperature control hack for your Pit Barrel Cooker. If it's running too hot, simply slide a folded up sheet of foil behind the vent cover. This allows you to dial it down and gain much more control over your internal temps.

4W1neSO.jpg

Here's the swineapple all dressed up and ready for the smoker. People usually leave the leaves on, but I'm hanging this guy on my skewer accessory in the PBC, so I needed all that greenery out of the way.

GHMKAMc.jpg

The meat is fantastic, BTW. Can't wait to see what this turns out like.

Here's the swineapple hanging in the smoker.

gzjYhJ7.jpg

Unfortunately, a closer look revealed my bacon had cracked and was dripping off the other side.

So, it's only pretty on one side.

More pics to come.

Reactions: Tenacious E
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT