ADVERTISEMENT

Guns - staunch 2nd Amendment posters, help me

I think both angles should be examined, and the only solution I see is that both sides give something. I see only upside for Republicans for passing legislation that gives some in terms of gun control (closing any existing loopholes making it possible for mentally ill, or people to obtain guns without full background checks), as well as addressing other issues you suggest, as in "easy solutions to protect the schools." I also think attempting to address the root causes of what makes the kid act out is also due.

We'll never solve it completely, but this endless standoff between gun activitists and the far left is not going to solve anything. Ever.

"background checks" do nothing. Few, if any of the recent perps would fail one. Gun owners would never allow access to medical records indicating mental issues (and that's another road to not go down) NONE of the recent perps would have failed a 'mental competency' test, so that's a nonstarter as well.

Realtime tracking would certainly provide law enforcement a 'heads up' on quite a few of them, allowing seamless connection of local 'incidents' with ownership in a household.

Most importantly, tying gun ownership/registration to crimes committed with guns - where the owner is held responsible IF the weapons are not properly locked up from minors, or they loan them out, whatever - that WOULD prevent quite a few of these incidents. Did this kid "break into" his dad's gun safe to get the weapons? Or were they readily available to him?

"Regulation" doesn't mean "confiscating guns"; it means putting in place laws which require a high level of security on the weapons people want to own, and that they understand if those weapons are used to shoot people, they may hold liability under certain circumstances.

Someone having to spend a day or more smashing up a safe to gain access: probably not liable. NOT locking up your guns so your angry teenage son grabs them in anger and shoots someone: probably liable - at least partly. How many of these guns in recent shootings were legally obtained, but used by someone who SHOULD NOT have had access to them?

By habit I tune out any time guns and cars are compared. To be fair...because the conservatives like to do that.

Cuz one is heavily regulated, and any attempts to provide even moderate regulation of the other, means we're trying to "ban all of them"?:eek:

As I'd stated....that is the COMMON meme set out by 2A backers.
More guns.

Pretty sure you've been backing that 2A bus; did you explicitly stated 'arming teachers' or 'more armed officers in schools' or 'metal detectors'? I have no idea, but those are basically the ONLY "solutions" that gun-nuts have put forth on this - ZERO regulations on guns, despite the 2A they love to quote has the word "regulated" right in it.

Figures, pretty much the key phrase there. ^^ Yet, you pop off like you do have an idea...as usual. Typical. Just for the record, you do not know what I think...yet your ego causes you to think that you do.

Kindly stick to what you know and quit posting BS that you imagine about others.

Figures, pretty much the key phrase there. ^^ Yet, you pop off like you do have an idea...as usual. Typical. Just for the record, you do not know what I think...yet your ego causes you to think that you do.

Kindly stick to what you know and quit posting BS that you imagine about others.
Let me try to translate what he is saying for you:

Many of the ideas liberals have proposed as potential solutions (more security, better mental health care, tougher gun laws, more education) have been shot down (pun intended) by conservatives. Both on this site and in the real world.

What are your thoughts on proposed solutions? I am genuinely interested.

I think it comes down to the parents.

In many of these situations, the parents let their mentally ill children be around guns.

Let me try to translate what he is saying for you:

Many of the ideas liberals have proposed as potential solutions (more security, better mental health care, tougher gun laws, more education) have been shot down (pun intended) by conservatives. Both on this site and in the real world.

What are your thoughts on proposed solutions? I am genuinely interested.

I will provide more detail later this evening. But I did also share some thoughts about SRO's in another related thread today, FWIW. But I am not interested in conversing with Joe, he is a child and when he gets spanked, he flips the script and makes even more crap up.

If they left a bunch of booze on the kitchen table with the car keys? You BET they'd be held liable for it.

We, as a society, should probably hold guns to a higher standard with regard to 'minors', don't you agree?
I do agree that we should hold the parents responsible if they were negligent with how they protected the weapons, I just don't think it's an equal comparison.

Your other point that you've made numerous times about the school or police contacting the families if there is a behavior issue to have them lockup the guns or get them out of the house brings up other questions. Are you saying that if the family is never contacted, they don't need to worry about locking up their guns? It sounds like you only advocate for that if and when they are contacted by authorities.

Wow.

I don’t even....wow.

If you honestly think guys like Adam Lanza and James Holmes and Nikolas Cruz are just modern day Jeffrey Dahmers with better weapons then I’m not sure there’s any framework for continuing this discussion.

There are significant differences between serial killers and mass shooters. Mass shooters typically are on a suicide mission and want to take out as many people as possible in the process. They pick a public target, shoot as many people as they can in the brief amount of time they have before police arrive, then either shoot themselves or commit suicide by cop. Sometimes they chicken out at the last minute, but suicide usually is in the plan.

Apart from the murdering, serial killers are pretty much the polar opposite. Not only are they not suicidal, they often go to great lengths to cover their tracks and avoid capture so they can go on killing indefinitely. They are methodical and calculating. They often prefer a specific demographic - prostitutes or college coeds or children. Dahmer had a thing for gay men. They will often carefully choose each victim and then track them for days or even weeks to learn their routine and choose just the right time and place to capture them. They usually rape and/or torture their victims before finally killing them. They carefully dispose of the body and then begin planning their next victim.

It’s not even close to a valid comparison.

It's funny how you start out all cock-sure and then go into a description of how some serial killers have operated, and ignore that so many other did not stalk their victim, torture or commit sex acts. Process killers don't make up the entire lot of serial killers.

Read a book before you act like an ass on the internet.

Last edited:
Yes, revenge is a huge driver in seri

It's funny how you start out all cock-sure and then go into a description of how some serial killers have operated, and ignore that so many other did not stalk their victim, torture or commit sex acts. Process killers don't make up the entire lot of serial killers.

Read a book before you act like an ass on the internet.
Name some serial killers who did not stalk, rape, or torture their victims.

For every one you can name, I can name five who did.

Name some serial killers who did not stalk, rape, or torture their victims.

For every one you can name, I can name five who did.

Bully for you. I'm still going to trust the FBIs classifications over your true crime book/podcast fed gut feelings.

I do agree that we should hold the parents responsible if they were negligent with how they protected the weapons, I just don't think it's an equal comparison.

Your other point that you've made numerous times about the school or police contacting the families if there is a behavior issue to have them lockup the guns or get them out of the house brings up other questions. Are you saying that if the family is never contacted, they don't need to worry about locking up their guns? It sounds like you only advocate for that if and when they are contacted by authorities.

I'm stating that "families which are notified, which HAVE arms in the household, should be held to a higher standard".

If your kid runs to school with a kitchen knife out of the drawer, there's not a whole lot anyone can do about that, because no one generally keeps their kitchen utensils locked up. Guns are different. So, take responsibility as an owner if your kid is "goofy".

I will provide more detail later this evening. But I did also share some thoughts about SRO's in another related thread today, FWIW. But I am not interested in conversing with Joe, he is a child and when he gets spanked, he flips the script and makes even more crap up.

Translation: "I have no solutions to propose, other than what the NRA has stated, which is what Joes Place called me out on and I'm trying to deny now"

Well...what is it that you'd like?
Heavy prosecution for those that violate the rights of the innocent for one. Bring gun safety training back to schools. Eliminate all the expensive taxes and tax stamps that cost people a lot of money to practice a right. Eliminate cost to gain a license.Those are just a few off the top of my head. Other people could add a lot more. The point is, is anti gunners want gun people to deal. In a deal both sides move. Or make concessions. The anti gun crowd has yet to do that in the history of our country.

Reactions: Gimmered
Don’t leave us hanging. Serve up some of those statistics and links.

Here’s one that studied 480 serial murder victims and found that nearly 70% of them were sexually assaulted.

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/serialmurder-pathwaysforinvestigations.pdf

WTF are you even arguing? I posted an opinion I had, a hypothesis, a theory. And now you're doing... whatever it is you're doing.

I'm well aware of the sexual nature of most serial killers and I've never argued otherwise. You on the other hand seem to have fixated on the most grotesque aspect of an already terrible topic to prove a point nobody is arguing with you about.

Stop being a jackass. Also, dont kill anyone ya weirdo.

Cuz one is heavily regulated, and any attempts to provide even moderate regulation of the other, means we're trying to "ban all of them"?:eek:
Again, I am on your side of the issue but sometimes you are impossible to try and have a conversation with.

WTF are you even arguing? I posted an opinion I had, a hypothesis, a theory. And now you're doing... whatever it is you're doing.

I'm well aware of the sexual nature of most serial killers and I've never argued otherwise. You on the other hand seem to have fixated on the most grotesque aspect of an already terrible topic to prove a point nobody is arguing with you about.

Stop being a jackass. Also, dont kill anyone ya weirdo.
This line of discussion started when you posited your theory that guys who would have been serial killers 30 years ago now are turning to mass shootings instead. I countered that serial killers and mass shooters have an entirely different mindset and methodology and should not be conflated.

You then called me an ass and said you have FBI data that proves me wrong. So I posted FBI data that proves me right.

I’m still waiting to see your FBI data that proves me wrong.

This line of discussion started when you posited your theory that guys who would have been serial killers 30 years ago now are turning to mass shootings instead. I countered that serial killers and mass shooters have an entirely different mindset and methodology and should not be conflated.

You then called me an ass and said you have FBI data that proves me wrong. So I posted FBI data that proves me right.

I’m still waiting to see your FBI data that proves me wrong.

FBI classification numb nuts.

Whatever. Do you plan on posting some proof or are you just going to keep making empty third grade level insults?

Proof of what?!? Proof that feel like some people that share commonalities with past serial killers may instead be carrying out mass murder? I'll get right on my application to Quantico.

It's not my fault you feel so strongly about process killers that you've never took the time to learn about contract killers, black widows, mafia enforcers, crackpot DC snipers, people that rob and kill or terrorists.

Proof of what?!? Proof that feel like some people that share commonalities with past serial killers may instead be carrying out mass murder? I'll get right on my application to Quantico.

It's not my fault you feel so strongly about process killers that you've never took the time to learn about contract killers, black widows, mafia enforcers, crackpot DC snipers, people that rob and kill or terrorists.
Do those people represent a majority of serial killers?

But you can ban them based on certain cartridges. Or perhaps limit magazine size for larger cartridge weapons. We're not looking at a blanket ban on all semi-automatic rifles necessarily. But you and everyone else here aught to know that there is a pretty dang big difference between a .22 rimfire LR and the .223 Remington that goes in an AR-15.

One is mostly good for killing rabbits and squirrels and the other one is pretty darn effective at killing people and would make a rabbit or squirrel explode.

a331ab3413f79eb8bc73bb05d1cbbd72.jpg

Which one is best for a pit bull, bear, or a cougar that's trying to kill you?

I’m not wasting any more time trying to explain shit to you. You don’t even know what you’re disagreeing with or why you’re disagreeing with it. You’re just being disagreeable out of muscle memory.

I backed up my point with facts, you backed up your point with insults and gifs. You have successfully exhausted my daily tolerance for stupidity.

Reactions: rocketclone
Which one is best for a pit bull, bear, or a cougar that's trying to kill you?

Probably a larger caliber although I doubt you would need something as big as a .223 Remmington for a pit bull. Regardless you don't need 30 shots to do it.

Also most people who go into the woods and worry about animal attack carry mace, not AR-15's. If not mace then large caliber handguns.

I’m not wasting any more time trying to explain shit to you. You don’t even know what you’re disagreeing with or why you’re disagreeing with it. You’re just being disagreeable out of muscle memory.

I backed up my point with facts, you backed up your point with insults and gifs. You have successfully exhausted my daily tolerance for stupidity.

If only you would just reread the thread, youd find you're arguing with yourself. You went off the rails when you decided that I was trying to put forth a fact when I clearly did not. Have fun yelling at the clouds.

Precisely in line with my point; alleged Conservatives talk a big show about "responsible gun owners", but then simply refuse to put forth any common sense legislation to police their own.

Same thing on the 'hair trigger' model guns in another thread months ago - NRA could ABSOLUTELY create and enforce standards on things like this to improve safety. But they WON'T, because it'd impact their benefactors: manufacturers. And it was an Iowa police dept which SUED this manufacturer over that model due to accidental discharges and injuries.

Stop claiming this is about "gun owners"; it is about "gun makers" and protecting them at all costs, at the expense of the people victimized by guns.

I do not understand Republicans resistance to real, common sense gun legislation. It seems there are plenty of small, reasonable steps that could be taken that don't threaten to "take all the guns away." I certainly understand that you don't want to go down a "slippery slope" that leads to over-regulation, but with full control of both chambers and the WH, nothing extreme can pass now anyway.

I see no downside to republicans giving some on this issue. Why not have a comprehensive bill that takes into account not only gun control, but also steps that can be taken to prevent further school shootings (explore mandatory, specific security measures for DOE schools, certain counseling programs implemented in classrooms, other measures to be debated).

Help me understand. I don't support 'taking all your guns,' but why would it not be a win for R's to give a little?
What "legislation" do you want passed? If those breaking the law now don't follow the new laws? Do you really think that if a new law is put into place that all the bad folks are just gonna say "well, might as well stop"?

YOu want to stop school shootings? Put cops\MPs in the schools asap, that will have the most immediate impact. THEN start working on fixing the mental health issues and cut out the "don't arrest our kids so we can get more federal monies" bs.

What "legislation" do you want passed? If those breaking the law now don't follow the new laws? Do you really think that if a new law is put into place that all the bad folks are just gonna say "well, might as well stop"?

Preventive legislation and penalties have certainly reduced drunk-driving fatalities and accident rates.

Is there something "magical" about guns that properly crafted legislation WON'T work here? Or, are you simply too stubborn to admit there might be solutions if the NRA and responsible gun owners come to the table to work something out?

Because gun MANUFACTURERS most assuredly will NOT 'buy in' on anything. Very much like how cigarette manufacturers would have NEVER conceded on the dangers of their products w/o government action. Ever.

Reactions: Jerome Silberman

YOu want to stop school shootings? Put cops\MPs in the schools asap, that will have the most immediate impact. THEN start working on fixing the mental health issues and cut out the "don't arrest our kids so we can get more federal monies" bs.
Legislation may very well include cops in schools, but then that will obviously cost money, and making it law that they must be there, and making funds available to ensure they are there leaves districts/schools without excuse for not implementing.

You have to be very naive to believe legislation is going to fix it completely, but it can be used as a tool to send a message to students that we're serious about doing something, send a message to gun owners that they must ensure their guns are not made available to anyone but them outside their own supervision (make them liable when bad things happen with guns they're responsible for).

Continuing to refuse to discuss it is a losing battle, while taking it head on while they have the majority is a winning move for R's. It will likely take compromise, maybe it's giving up something in terms of what types of weapons are available to who, what means are available to obtain them, or what responsibilities gun owners have to ensure their weapons aren't used by anyone but themselves.

I honestly believe that if R's would pass something before the mid-terms, they'd stand a good chance of retaining the house. I see no downside to it whatsoever.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT