ADVERTISEMENT

Gut CHECK time

JerseyCityHawki

HR All-American
Oct 28, 2019
Hackensack, New Jersey
This game isn’t going to be a walk in the park by any means as Nebraska will bring it and would love nothing more than to spoil Iowa’s POSSIBLE BACK TO BACK BTW CHAMPIONSHIP…. And I would love more than anything to see Iowa as a team stomp them into next year. Going to be a pretty close game but if Iowa plays Iowa football like the last 4 weeks I LOVE ❤️ our chances. Iowa WILL win

Gut -Checked

Newbie will pull out all the stops to win. I expect them to go on 4th down a lot. They will have gadget plays on offense and a lot of blitzing on defense. Our defense will need to stay in their assignments and contain the edge. Offense needs to move the chains, every time Brian went for a long pass to our wide receivers last week we were sacked or our man was covered.

Here's what I'm praying doesn't happen. There's 5 minutes left in the second or 3rd quarter and all we have done is kick 2 or 3 field goals. The longer we let Nebraska hang around the more risks we have of being like Minnesota last weekend. They would love to kick a last second, game winning field goal as we have done to them the past years.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
It's an interesting crossroads for this team. They have admirably dug themselves out of a hole and recovered when the season was looking like it might go into a downward spiral. They are now on the brink of returning to Indy. All they have to do is beat a 3-8 team at home who has lost to GA Southern and Northwestern, whose best win and only win away from home is a 1-point squeaker at Rutgers, is running a 5-game losing streak and has an interim head coach who took over mid-season of a sinking ship. But like has been said, everyone expects the Huskers to give us a heck of a game, and this miracle turnaround season could suddenly turn into a monumental f-up if they can't seal the deal Friday.

Like OP said - gut-check time. But I like our chances.

I believe this game will look a lot more like 2017 than the last 4 years.

Nebby comes out dialed in early after the emotional pre-game speech, but that shit only lasts so long. When the rah-rah dies down......what your left with is a bad football team, and a lot of players that just want the season over.

Hawks 38-10.

It's an interesting crossroads for this team. They have admirably dug themselves out of a hole and recovered when the season was looking like it might go into a downward spiral. They are now on the brink of returning to Indy. All they have to do is beat a 3-8 team at home who has lost to GA Southern and Northwestern, whose best win and only win away from home is a 1-point squeaker at Rutgers, is running a 5-game losing streak and has an interim head coach who took over mid-season of a sinking ship. But like has been said, everyone expects the Huskers to give us a heck of a game, and this miracle turnaround season could suddenly turn into a monumental f-up if they can't seal the deal Friday.

Like OP said - gut-check time. But I like our chances.
"Monumental f-up if they can't seal the deal Friday"

It's almost like your setting up something.

Hawks establish the run early in the game and the passing game opens up nicely. If that happens....and Petras gets time to throw....he'll pick them apart with his arm. You read that correctly....Petras will pick them apart.

Hawks score 24 and the Huskers manage 7, maybe 10. The game will never be very close once the Hawks get the first couple of scores.

"Monumental f-up if they can't seal the deal Friday"

It's almost like your setting up something.
No. Just putting things in perspective. It's amazing that they got to this point, and they have now earned the position they've put themselves in ("win and you're in"), which ironically means that now they NEED to win an extremely important game, or else it would go down as one of the most disappointing games ever.

Vegas doesn’t seem to see this as a problem for Iowa. Having Iowa as 10.5 pt favorite is eye opening.
Not sure what you mean by "eye opening," unless you're surprised how low it is. If you told me generically that a team was in a "win-and-you're-in" situation to get to their conference championship game and only had to win at home against a 3-8 team with an interim head coach, 5-game losing streak and hadn't beaten an FBS team with more than 4 wins all year, I'd guess the home team would be about a -20.

Not sure what you mean by "eye opening," unless you're surprised how low it is. If you told me generically that a team was in a "win-and-you're-in" situation to get to their conference championship game and only had to win at home against a 3-8 team with an interim head coach, 5-game losing streak and hadn't beaten an FBS team with more than 4 wins all year, I'd guess the home team would be about a -20.
I will side with Vegas. They are generally pretty good and they see Iowa as a solid favorite. I am not of the opinion this team has shown anything to garner a larger spread. Nebbish has played all same teams and have been competitive of late. I would have thought spread closer to 7.

This game is always like clown U
Throw the records out, win the turnover battle and the special teams and I like our chances. Nebby will come out swinging for sure.
Keep your head down and take care of business and see you in Indy.

Nebraska won't do anything new. On defense they like to load the box and blitz or pretend to blitz. Their linebackers especially #28 gets lost in wrong fits a lot (but hey he seems to have trouble speaking and thinking) they over pursue and are primed for any kind of play actions. #28 is best at arriving to a tackle late and hitting guys already down. #44 - please someone hit him hard with a chip block....that will stop his lunatic antics.

On offense, they will attempt to confuse defense by motioning all over the place and then hand ball off to #10 Grant. At QB, actually think Martinez was better overall than Thompson. Thompson not that accurate either and is easily flustered. He does like to chuck balls high downfield where #3 Palmer is effective at running under them....worked really well against Purdue, but Purdue has worst secondary in Big10. Expect 2...no 3 interceptions by Iowa.

Huskers announce their next coach by Sunday (who is already hired long ago) and it's not Mickey (you fool).

Go Hawks!

This game isn’t going to be a walk in the park by any means as Nebraska will bring it and would love nothing more than to spoil Iowa’s POSSIBLE BACK TO BACK BTW CHAMPIONSHIP…. And I would love more than anything to see Iowa as a team stomp them into next year. Going to be a pretty close game but if Iowa plays Iowa football like the last 4 weeks I LOVE ❤️ our chances. Iowa WILL win

Gut -Checked
I expect we’ll pull out a few exotics on offense, such as not automatically running on second down after an incompletion on first down. We may even throw past the chains on 3rd and 8. Gonna be crazy!!!

I am sure the east stand lower level folks in Kinnick will be creative with their suggestions as to what the players can do in December to keep themselves entertained.

Humorously enough I’m having a true gut check in a few minutes via being probed both from above & below (internal bleeding issue). The prep means I’ll be hungry for Thanksgiving & my gut should be able to withstand yet another heart stopper (do we play anything else??). Hoping for 56-0 but probably 19-7

• Love
I want to see Hawkeye domination on offense,defense and special teams. A relentless offense, a merciless defense and magical special teams.
I only hate Nebraska for about three hours a year.

Nebraska's game = taking risks (high risk/high reward)

Iowa's game = let the other team make mistakes and then capitalize

200w.gif

usa_today_9702405.0.jpeg

ADVERTISEMENT