ADVERTISEMENT

Had a friend get shot last night

To me, stray bullet means somebody a mile away pulled the trigger and the bullet flew god knows where.

IMO the car was targeted but the shooter had no idea who the occupants were. That time, that area makes it almost impossible to target an individual without some help and a lot of planning.
Interestingly enough, there's this now:

19-033279 3P1 / WOODWARD,MATTHEW04:55 05:00 05:33 3P3 / NORTHUP,KEATON 04:55 05:00 05:25 3W6C / SCHAAF,KENNETH 04:58 05:01 05:12 WEAPON:SHOTS FIRED GREENHILL RD/ GREENWOOD AV NOTHING FOUND WEAPON:SHOTS FIRED 04/28/2019 04:55:06

Appears there was a call of shots fired in that same exact area a couple hours later.

Reactions: McLovin32
I have no inside info, nor do I know the area in question.

I'm still firmly of the opinion that it was not an accident, and not a random "I'll shoot at the next car" type thing. Ever since the start, I've felt that this was a person that knew them and purposely wanted to cause harm to them (or somebody in the car).

EDIT - that post from Srams is potentially a game-changer.

To me, stray bullet means somebody a mile away pulled the trigger and the bullet flew god knows where.

IMO the car was targeted but the shooter had no idea who the occupants were. That time, that area makes it almost impossible to target an individual without some help and a lot of planning.

This is what I'm thinking. And I would compare it to those incidents of drivers being killed from people throwing rocks from an overpass.

This is what I'm thinking. And I would compare it to those incidents of drivers being killed from people throwing rocks from an overpass.
The best bet to finding the shooter is he wasn’t alone and the observer uses the info to get out of a future legal issue.

I have no inside info, nor do I know the area in question.

I'm still firmly of the opinion that it was not an accident, and not a random "I'll shoot at the next car" type thing. Ever since the start, I've felt that this was a person that knew them and purposely wanted to cause harm to them (or somebody in the car).

EDIT - that post from Srams is potentially a game-changer.
Yea I'm not sure what to think now.

If it was some pyscho out there shooting at cars it appears he tried again.

OTOH, if it was some idiots just shooting and not meaning to hit anything, maybe they didn't realize they actually hit a vehicle. I don't know.

Greenwood Ave is legit the woods and like the 3 houses back in that area across from where her car stopped. Very interesting info.

Yea I'm not sure what to think now.

If it was some pyscho out there shooting at cars it appears he tried again.

OTOH, if it was some idiots just shooting and not meaning to hit anything, maybe they didn't realize they actually hit a vehicle. I don't know.

Well, the first thing the cops probably did was start canvassing the nearby homes... it sounds like there aren't too many in the area? If that's the case, I'd guess the homeowners were able to say whether they noticed anything or heard any kids in the area, etc.

I have seen the posts about how there's a major road about a mile away, so maybe there would be more homes in the area than what I'm thinking. Bottom line though - as others have said, if there were a couple of people farting around with a gun, eventually one of them is going to slip up or feel guilty and turn themselves in.

A few updates...authorities have said if the shot was random it was a one in a million shot. Based on bullet fragments retrieved they will be able to determine the caliber and approximate distance although that information won’t be released. Her visitation is tomorrow and the funeral is Friday back in the KC area. I know there are a lot of dog lovers here and their dog was with them at the time of the shooting.

Are you coming in for the funeral? If so, give me a shout.

Reactions: jellyfish10
Sounds like an awful deal regardless if there was intent to cause harm on these passengers or if it was a random bullet.

Sorry to hear about your friends Jelly.

Reactions: jellyfish10
Driven that route a couple times this week.

The south bound lane is low in that spot across river. There is almost no way a bullet could come from where it did unless the shooter was standing up by the road (likely behind chain link fence) or up in a tree. A random bullet would need to pass through some very dense trees.

I don’t even think car to car is likely because the median is fairly high compared to south bound lane.

Outside a confession or cell phone records or other interesting technology (onStar tracking) cameras and microphones from surrounding area I just don’t see how they will solve it.

If they shot came from passenger side after they crossed River it would seem very believable.

Coming from driver side on the river and seeing the incident scene just makes me think WTF.

Could a Semi be high enough? I know the trajectory probably wouldn’t match up, but if something is sitting high up? Bigger pick-up perhaps? Again trajectory probably wouldn’t match up.

Could a Semi be high enough? I know the trajectory probably wouldn’t match up, but if something is sitting high up? Bigger pick-up perhaps? Again trajectory probably wouldn’t match up.
Yes, it it was vehicle to vehicle I think the shooter would have to have been in SUV truck. If both vehicles were moving the odds would be crazy.

I think the shooter was standing and behind the high chain linked fence. Using the fence as a tripod. He left via the woods. Makes me wonder if he shot and missed other cars leading up to the incident.

Reactions: CowboyKiller141
Are you coming in for the funeral? If so, give me a shout.

I am not although it sounds like the Mulligan’s family will be representing. Services are in Lenexa. If you have a minute, check out some of the local stories from KC news outlets. Her dad met with the media.

Yes, it it was vehicle to vehicle I think the shooter would have to have been in SUV truck. If both vehicles were moving the odds would be crazy.

I think the shooter was standing and behind the high chain linked fence. Using the fence as a tripod. He left via the woods. Makes me wonder if he shot and missed other cars leading up to the incident.

My friend/lead foreman’s wife takes the route every day very early in the morning and has been terrified to drive to work.

Interestingly enough, there's this now:

19-033279 3P1 / WOODWARD,MATTHEW04:55 05:00 05:33 3P3 / NORTHUP,KEATON 04:55 05:00 05:25 3W6C / SCHAAF,KENNETH 04:58 05:01 05:12 WEAPON:SHOTS FIRED GREENHILL RD/ GREENWOOD AV NOTHING FOUND WEAPON:SHOTS FIRED 04/28/2019 04:55:06

Appears there was a call of shots fired in that same exact area a couple hours later.

I agree, it seems quite plausible that there is a connection here. Imagine this scenario...shooting takes place, LEO's begin investigation by knocking on doors from the nearest homes, some neighbor says that the numbskulls down the road are always out shooting their guns, etc, cops knock on that door, "...not us officer...", contradicting neighbor accounts cause cops to be very suspicious, etc.

Cops have their suspects, now they need to work out how it happened. Accidental shot that ended up in the distant passing car? Semi purposeful..."Hold my beer, I am going to shoot at the next car on the bridge, etc.".

If there are 3 people that know what happened...1 or 2 will flip.

PsetRwd.jpg

I agree, it seems quite plausible that there is a connection here. Imagine this scenario...shooting takes place, LEO's begin investigation by knocking on doors from the nearest homes, some neighbor says that the numbskulls down the road are always out shooting their guns, etc, cops knock on that door, "...not us officer...", contradicting neighbor accounts cause cops to be very suspicious, etc.

Cops have their suspects, now they need to work out how it happened. Accidental shot that ended up in the distant passing car? Semi purposeful..."Hold my beer, I am going to shoot at the next car on the bridge, etc.".

If there are 3 people that know what happened...1 or 2 will flip.

There’s not houses there or a good angle. I just heard two dudes shot at a random car and hit it. I’m not buying it yet.

Reward now 58k. Gotta hope the pressure will continue to increase on the shooter or anyone that knows anything.

Already assuming it was a “ he!?!”

In 2014, more than 73% of those arrested in the US were males.[49]Men accounted for 80.4 percent of persons arrested for violent crime and 62.9 percent of those arrested for property crime.[49]In 2011, theUnited States Department of Justicecompiled homicide statistics in the United States between 1980 and 2008.[50]That study showed the following:

• Males were convicted of the vast majority of homicides in the United States, representing 89.5% of the total number of offenders.[50]

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
In 2014, more than 73% of those arrested in the US were males.[49]Men accounted for 80.4 percent of persons arrested for violent crime and 62.9 percent of those arrested for property crime.[49]In 2011, theUnited States Department of Justicecompiled homicide statistics in the United States between 1980 and 2008.[50]That study showed the following:

• Males were convicted of the vast majority of homicides in the United States, representing 89.5% of the total number of offenders.[50]

lol I can’t believe people responded to that post in a serious manner

Reactions: Legend12

So you're OK with profiling? Well so am I. Use every tool available to law enforcement...

So you're OK with profiling? Well so am I. Use every tool available to law enforcement...
I am not profiling. I am merely sharing data that provides an answer to why another poster presumed the perpetrator was a male.

There is a 1 in 10 chance based on data it was not, so it would behoove actual law enforcement to explore all possibilities. I, however, am just a schmoe who posts on HROT, so it doesn't matter what I think.

Totally random but I remember reading a story years ago about a young woman in Cali drifting off the road and crashing. She was unresponsive and rushed to the hospital where she died despite the doctors not being able to find any injuries. Only after she was dead did they find a small bullet hole behind her right ear. Turned out there was a lake next to the highway and some guy on the far side of the lake was plinking at cans in the water. One of his bullets hit the water, skipped, traveled nearly a mile, entered her car through an open rear passenger window - the only open window in the car - and hit her. The bullet was traveling so slowly that they said it probably would have bounced off a closed window.

No idea what happened in this shooting but that story has always stuck with me.

My buddy who is a bartender at Jameson’s just had a pretty intense experience on 218 coming home from work.

He is calling the tip line because of it which I agree with. Idk if it’s anything but man this murder has people on edge right now.

Cant be serious.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT