ADVERTISEMENT

Had to put my dog down today

lonestar50

HR All-American
Sep 3, 2007
I'm not sure why, but sharing this with a bunch of internet strangers feels like it will help. My dog Lucy has been having heart problems but with meds we have been able to get that under control. Recently for the last few months it has been her mind that has been going. Accidents every day, forgetting where she is, what she is doing. Went to the vet about the accidents and he said he wouldn't blame us for having her put down.

It was maybe to early but she wasn't going to get better and I would have hated to do this when she didn't recognize me. This was so hard because there were times when she was her old self, she still ate, she still got excited to go for walks and car rides but I was starting to feel like I was keeping her alive for my sake not hers.

I got her as a Christmas present from my sister (no pics). I went with her to pick out a rescue dog and I actually walked past her a few times because they had her seperate from all the other dogs because she had kennel cough. As we were walking out my sister said what about this one. She looked so pathetic but decided to take her out. This was in downtown Iowa City so we waked her to the Pentacrest and her personality completely changed and I fell in love.

She was my first dog of my own and I got her at kind of a dark time in my life and she was a bright light to get me through it. For the longest time I felt like she was all I had in my life and for a time after a fire she WAS all I had in my life.

I know people say the pain fades but holy shit the pain is so fresh and raw right now. Thanks for letting me vent and cry.

vMB0ovn.jpeg

bG92tLn.jpeg

Rest in Peace Lucy. You were one of the best things that ever happened to me and I hope I was one of the best things that ever happened to you 😢

Awe man. Sorry to hear the bad news. I’ve got two dogs myself and have never had to go through that pain yet. Not looking forward to it at all. What really sucks is my dogs are 7 and 6 so I feel like when one dies the other will follow shortly after.

My dog is currently about 7; it's about 5-7 years before this dreaded day comes for me, too.

And that Hey Buddy cartoon hits hard every time I read it and think about it.

I think when that day comes for me, I'm going to have to head down to the local animal shelter here just to see some pups and take a few out for walks to 'get my fix'. Might be down there several days a week for who knows how long before I adopt another. But that's the best "therapy" I can think of, in advance. I guess I'll know when that day comes.

One of the absolute worst feelings. When their mind starts to go or they lose their senses, you don’t want them living a constantly disoriented or scared life. That’s not fair to any animal.

We had to do it earlier this year. When I get up in the middle of the night I still expect to see him sleeping in the bathroom.

Last edited:
Sorry, man. I lost my dog friend Christmas Day 2019 and had to leave town for a family event shortly after. She was an English bulldog and had a ridiculous personality. I didn’t plan on ever getting another dog, but went to sign up for volunteer work at the animal shelter and they had a bulldog pup. I met her and adopter her immediately. It might not be for you to get a new pup soon, but being around animals is good. If you have time I recommend doing some volunteering.

Sorry to hear. RIP puppers. The pain will fade, and don't feel bad when it does. I cried for days when we put "my" first dog down.

I trust the vet when they say "it is time". They don't have the emotional ties and speak from the dog's best interest. Don't feel guilty, don't feel bad. Its the worst part of sharing your life with a partner. Especially one that was an emotional support through hard times.

I'm not sure why, but sharing this with a bunch of internet strangers feels like it will help. My dog Lucy has been having heart problems but with meds we have been able to get that under control. Recently for the last few months it has been her mind that has been going. Accidents every day, forgetting where she is, what she is doing. Went to the vet about the accidents and he said he wouldn't blame us for having her put down.

It was maybe to early but she wasn't going to get better and I would have hated to do this when she didn't recognize me. This was so hard because there were times when she was her old self, she still ate, she still got excited to go for walks and car rides but I was starting to feel like I was keeping her alive for my sake not hers.

I got her as a Christmas present from my sister (no pics). I went with her to pick out a rescue dog and I actually walked past her a few times because they had her seperate from all the other dogs because she had kennel cough. As we were walking out my sister said what about this one. She looked so pathetic but decided to take her out. This was in downtown Iowa City so we waked her to the Pentacrest and her personality completely changed and I fell in love.

She was my first dog of my own and I got her at kind of a dark time in my life and she was a bright light to get me through it. For the longest time I felt like she was all I had in my life and for a time after a fire she WAS all I had in my life.

I know people say the pain fades but holy shit the pain is so fresh and raw right now. Thanks for letting me vent and cry.

vMB0ovn.jpeg

bG92tLn.jpeg

Rest in Peace Lucy. You were one of the best things that ever happened to me and I hope I was one of the best things that ever happened to you 😢
She’s going over the rainbow bridge. google it, it will help you in your grief.

We probably a few months until we have to do that with our puggle Gus. He lost vision in one eye, can’t hardly hear, is on an aspirin regimen for all his lumps that were growing but aspirin stopped growth and new ones pretty decent for the past year. But no accident issues, still gets excited to eat and play a little bit. I know it’s coming and feel ok about it. Wife will be a slobbering mess for a while.

Worst 6 days of my life, one for each dog. Only times I've cried as an adult.
It gets better and eventually you know that grief is outweighed by the happiness of the 10-15 years you had together, and it's time to start looking again.

Last edited:
We have had Golden Retrievers for nearly 40 years and putting them down was always very difficult. They lived in the house and travel with us and were a big part of the family. People without pets have know idea what we go through when we have to put one down. I see these people in Ukraine leaving with their pets and I am sure many got left behind. My wife and I just said the other day that if we were in that situation and would take them with or would stay with them. Our Goldens have provided us with years of companionship, entertainment and love. I am pretty sure most dogs behave better than some peoples kids.

rainbowbridge.gif

When my previous dog passed away I was sent this by the vet. I was damn near inconsolable for a few days while at home. However as time passed it got easier. Roughly a year later we got our current dog. While obviously not the same she filled a big hole in our house. It will get better OP.
Thanks for posting this. Brings me to tears.

We have had Golden Retrievers for nearly 40 years and putting them down was always very difficult. They lived in the house and travel with us and were a big part of the family. People without pets have know idea what we go through when we have to put one down. I see these people in Ukraine leaving with their pets and I am sure many got left behind. My wife and I just said the other day that if we were in that situation and would take them with or would stay with them. Our Goldens have provided us with years of companionship, entertainment and love. I am pretty sure most dogs behave better than some peoples kids.
We know this day was coming as both Lucy and my wife's dog were getting older so we got a Golden puppy. She's a year old now and a great dog who I'm sure will help me get through this

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT