ADVERTISEMENT

Hankins coming back

That is huge news! Our 2 deeps in the secondary is going to be loaded, especially with that UNI transfer coming in. Now the only slight worry is the D line (but I won’t worry too much at this point in time).

So with Cronk, Colbert, and Hankins decisions are there any more players left to decide this year?
Also, do you think we will go through this for the next few years or will most players unaffected by the "missed year" just stay on a regular schedule?

Reactions: ozzyrulz
So with Cronk, Colbert, and Hankins decisions are there any more players left to decide this year?
Also, do you think we will go through this for the next few years or will most players unaffected by the "missed year" just stay on a regular schedule?
I can’t remember if Schulte has said anything

Suddenly the DB room seems much more steady. Hankins and Moss are known quantities at corner, as are Koerner/Merriweather and Belton at safety and cash. Already looking ahead to 2021, you need unit chemistry in the secondary when you immediately play against Indiana and Iowa State. Remember Ames in 2017 and 2019? Far too many broken plays by Iowa DBs leading to TDs... Hopefully that can be mitigated this year.

Williams is a wildcard. He potentially could be a star and at worst case helpful depth. I hope Roberts and Harris choose to stay because there will be a clear opening at corner in 2022 after Hankins and Williams move on. All in all great news. Still would like to add a corner in the 2021 class though.

Suddenly the DB room seems much more steady. Hankins and Moss are known quantities at corner, as are Koerner/Merriweather and Belton at safety and cash. Already looking ahead to 2021, you need unit chemistry in the secondary when you immediately play against Indiana and Iowa State. Remember Ames in 2017 and 2019? Far too many broken plays by Iowa DBs leading to TDs... Hopefully that can be mitigated this year.

Williams is a wildcard. He potentially could be a star and at worst case helpful depth. I hope Roberts and Harris choose to stay because there will be a clear opening at corner in 2022 after Hankins and Williams move on. All in all great news. Still would like to add a corner in the 2021 class though.
Oladakun still is in touch with Iowa recruits and I wouldn’t be surprised if he comes here again.

I wonder if this played a role in Brents stepping away. Dealing with the realization that that Hankins may have been speculating about sticking around.

As for Xavior Williams ... I would imagine that he'll still play a ton. Given the teams we play ... we'll likely go nickel and dime looks on D with great frequency. Having some personnel flexibility and depth is huge for a secondary.

I wonder if this played a role in Brents stepping away. Dealing with the realization that that Hankins may have been speculating about sticking around.

As for Xavior Williams ... I would imagine that he'll still play a ton. Given the teams we play ... we'll likely go nickel and dime looks on D with great frequency. Having some personnel flexibility and depth is huge for a secondary.
If we know one thing about Phil if you don't produce you will be out. Just have to be ready when your number is called.

Reactions: 24 so far
If we know one thing about Phil if you don't produce you will be out. Just have to be ready when your number is called.
That's only partially true. Gervase got replaced ... only to work his way back onto the field.

However, your point is well made ... ultimately, you really do have to be ready when your number is called.

I think that Brents still could have developed into a high-level contributor for the Hawks ... but, of course, now that's a moot point with him transferring to KSU.

With Hankins returning ... the secondary seems set to be pretty darn solid. The whole back 7 seems pretty strong too.

The big question will be the DL. However, I gotta say ... I do put a lot of trust in Bell ... seems like a high-quality coach. Both he and Niemann did a really good job with the DL this past year.

Reactions: Simbahawk4

Perhaps but probably not. Brents left before the season had ended. KF even remarked that he didn't understand it, but they were supportive of him doing what he thought best.

Agree on Williams. If he's among the 5 best DB's, he will play. It's very rare that none of those guys would miss time due to injury as well in a 12 game season.

ADVERTISEMENT