ADVERTISEMENT

Harbaugh to Bears - Matt Campbell to Michigan

Bryzzo

Team MVP
Aug 31, 2016
Michigan currently getting beat by the winless PSU team. If Michigan loses their remaining games, I would imagine these 2 coaching changes would generate plenty of smoke in the rumor mill chimney....

Reactions: Naples Hawk
I don't understand why the NFL would be so interested in Harbaugh. He caught lightning in a bottle with Kaepernick then the defenses figured him out. That ended Harbaugh's run as coach. He has done absolutely nothing at Michigan.

Unpopular opinion around here but Campbell isn't leaving.
I think it had more to do with the fat contract Kap got the following year that took up an enormous amount of salary and they weren’t able to keep all the studs on the defense that was built not by Jimbo but by Singletary before he was fired. That defense was top two or three in the league right there with Baltimore and Seattle.

Michigan will probably hire Tom Brady as they seem to like legacies. Really stupid move. Remember our good fortunes with legacy Bob Commings?

ISU is looking more and more likely to face the sad reality of their football program. They're a stepping stone to greater things and probably always will be. Once a coach starts having consistent success there, he'll be hired away to a bigger program. Just like Earle Bruce was.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Michigan will probably hire Tom Brady as they seem to like legacies. Really stupid move. Remember our good fortunes with legacy Bob Commings?
Bob Comings wasn’t that bad. Hayden always gave credit to Comings for having talent on the roster when Hayden got there. Hayden just moved them to different positions.

Reactions: nameloc
Bob Comings wasn’t that bad. Hayden always gave credit to Comings for having talent on the roster when Hayden got there. Hayden just moved them to different positions.

I always got the impression (largely from Hayden's autobiography) that the 1979 had pretty decent talent. So it sounds to me like Cummings could recruit, just could not coach worth a damn

MC may not leave ISU but he should if Michigan opens up. Day isn't leaving OSU anyone soon IMO, and that job, by many accounts, is his dream job.
He's from Massillon OH and it's well known that he loves OSU - like many Ohio natives. But unless Day bolts for the NFL, he has no chance. Plus, I don't think Michigan has the glitter around its program like it did 20 years ago. They haven't won a B1G title since 2004 - that's right, 2004. Keep an eye on Texas making a play for Campbell after Urban turns them down

Reactions: JerBer
He's from Massillon OH and it's well known that he loves OSU - like many Ohio natives. But unless Day bolts for the NFL, he has no chance. Plus, I don't think Michigan has the glitter around its program like it did 20 years ago. They haven't won a B1G title since 2004 - that's right, 2004. Keep an eye on Texas making a play for Campbell after Urban turns them down

It's Michigan! Enormous funding. Enormous fanbase. Largest stadium in CFB. Huge recruiting base. Blue blood heritage. World famous brand. Campbell would be a fool to remain at ISU if that job was offered to him.

Iowa State is not going to let him go without a fight!! I actually think he has some loyalty to ISU and I think he gets paid enough to stay! He has brought in some really good talent and although ISU doesn't have the facilities that Oklahoma may have, it does have some positives that will attract talent. I hope he sticks around and builds the program.

It's Michigan! Enormous funding. Enormous fanbase. Largest stadium in CFB. Huge recruiting base. Blue blood heritage. World famous brand. Campbell would be a fool to remain at ISU if that job was offered to him.
All of your points are true - 20 years ago. Huge recruiting base ? Sure, Michigan still has a name but...... I'm sure many said that Rich Rod, Hoke and Harbaugh would be a fool not to take that job based on all of the points you made but how did all that turn out ? Your main rival has beaten you 15 out of 16 - or whatever it is. OSU OWNS them and expects to beat them every year. Hell, the next OSU coach that loses to them probably gets fired on the spot.

I compare Michigan to Nebraska - 2 programs that have seen their better days in the 90s. Sorry, those 2 programs are living in the past

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye

So you are saying Michigan is a slightly better version of Nebraska?

Reactions: CaboKP
All of your points are true - 20 years ago. Huge recruiting base ? Sure, Michigan still has a name but...... I'm sure many said that Rich Rod, Hoke and Harbaugh would be a fool not to take that job based on all of the points you made but how did all that turn out ? Your main rival has beaten you 15 out of 16 - or whatever it is. OSU OWNS them and expects to beat them every year. Hell, the next OSU coach that loses to them probably gets fired on the spot.

I compare Michigan to Nebraska - 2 programs that have seen their better days in the 90s. Sorry, those 2 programs are living in the past
Comparing Michigan to Nebraska to isn't fair. Yes they haven't won the B1G since 2004 but have gone to 4 NY6/major bowls. Harbaugh has done this twice. He just can't beat his rivals. Which is huge at Michigan.

While Nebraska has gone to no NY6/major bowls in that time frame. Just solid seasons with Bo Pelini.

Comparing Michigan to Nebraska to isn't fair. Yes they haven't won the B1G since 2004 but have gone to 4 NY6/major bowls. Harbaugh has done this twice. He just can't beat his rivals. Which is huge at Michigan.

While Nebraska has gone to no NY6/major bowls in that time frame. Just solid seasons with Bo Pelini.
My point is that fans of both schools still like to say they're blueblood programs but blueblood programs don't disappear for a couple of decades. Not arguing with you about Nebraska but Michigan - right now - is an also ran too. If you ask many OSU fans, their biggest obstacle in the East is PSU - not Michigan. They might be the winningest program of all-time but none of us were around for leather helmets and the horse and buggy days.

Iowa State is not going to let him go without a fight!! I actually think he has some loyalty to ISU and I think he gets paid enough to stay! He has brought in some really good talent and although ISU doesn't have the facilities that Oklahoma may have, it does have some positives that will attract talent. I hope he sticks around and builds the program.

lol he would leave Ames without even packing a bag if Michigan called

All of those points are true right now! We're comparing Michigan to Iowa friggin' State!

Reactions: JStandefer
After 4 or 5 years Harbaugh wears out his welcome. Watching them play this season had been painful. As for Campbell, he has built an upper level Big 12 program. There are only two traditional powers, Oklahoma and Texas, and Texas has fallen more than Michigan. I see Campbell much like Fry. USC publicly came after Hayden but he wasn’t greedy. He knew what he had at Iowa and that was enough for him.

Reactions: mrcyfan
After 4 or 5 years Harbaugh wears out his welcome. Watching them play this season had been painful. As for Campbell, he has built an upper level Big 12 program. There are only two traditional powers, Oklahoma and Texas, and Texas has fallen more than Michigan. I see Campbell much like Fry. USC publicly came after Hayden but he wasn’t greedy. He knew what he had at Iowa and that was enough for him.

Hayden was also in his early fifties and had seen a hell of a lot more during his career than Campbell has at 41. Successful people are usually ultra competitive. Campbell knows damned well he will never win a natty at ISU. He hasn't even managed to out-recruit Iowa, let alone beat them in five years in L'Ames. He will settle back into 6-7 wins per year if he stays at ISU because he will never be able to bring in high-end talent there and NO ONE is winning a natty without great players.

ADVERTISEMENT