ADVERTISEMENT

Harbaugh to Bears - Matt Campbell to Michigan

So who was it that tried to explain sex to you?

51OCQDcSrGL.__BG0,0,0,0_FMpng_AC_UL600_SR399,600_.jpg

Michigan under Harbaugh is 47-18...that's a 72% winning clip. I wouldn't call that struggling. Not good enough for Michigan faithful or "Blue Blood" status...but hardly "struggling".

As for Johnny's thoughts on Michigan, the last time he worked there was over 40 years ago...so.

Joelbc1, if you played some golf with Johnny you also know he was prone to getting shit-faced. One of my college buddies bartended at a DM area golf club and saw more than one incident where people hustled him out of the club area to avoid embarrassing incidents. Some pretty good stories.
I think I played golf with him 3 times. Never saw him close to “ shit faced” but he would have a drink. I imagine I had coffee with him at Dahl’s over 100 times...

Interesting thread.

If I were a betting man, my money would be on Matt Campbell still in Ames next season, but who knows. I'm fairly certain, though, if he does leave Ames, it won't be for Ann Arbor or Austin.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
Luke Fickell is a Columbus native who went to Desales HS in the north end. He played and coached at OSU. He has Scarlet and Gray running through his veins which is not good for Michigan trying to get him. Plus, he'll have some bigtime offers in the next year or two.......maybe OSU if Day bolts back to the NFL

That doesnt matter. Mccarney went to Iowa State, was all Iowa, Bielema to Wisconsin, was all Iowa and the list goes on. The fandom lessens when you go somewhere else. He's at Cincy now and would love to beat the shit out of Ohio State. If Michigan came open and the fit was right for him, he'd take that job in a heartbeat.

That doesnt matter. Mccarney went to Iowa State, was all Iowa, Bielema to Wisconsin, was all Iowa and the list goes on. The fandom lessens when you go somewhere else. He's at Cincy now and would love to beat the shit out of Ohio State. If Michigan came open and the fit was right for him, he'd take that job in a heartbeat.

My B-I-L, a huge Badger booster always talked about Wisky fans biggest complaint regarding BB was his refusal to surgically remove his TigerHawk tattoo from his ankle. When fans want to criticize and disparage, they will find something to complain about.

Interesting thread.

If I were a betting man, my money would be on Matt Campbell still in Ames next season, but who knows. I'm fairly certain, though, if he does leave Ames, it won't be for Ann Arbor or Austin.

Then where is he going? Ohio State and Notre Dame are not opening up any time soon. If he wants a legit shot at a title or being in it every few years, either Michigan or Texas are doable.

From the horses mouth...Johnny was asked by the ISU AD and President to outline what was needed to make a ISU a basketball power (in an “ advisory” role)...According to Johnny he gave them some stuff that was needed, plus “a lot of fluff”....At their meeting, he presented and the ISU reps were receptive and didn’t see a problem with his proposals...Johnny was shocked and told them, “He’ll, if that’s the case I am your man!” The ISU folks were surprised...went home that night and offered Johnny the job the next morning...Johnny said the look on Michigan’s AD, Dave Canham’s face was priceless when Johnny told him he was leaving AA and going to Ames....and gave him the contract details. And Johnny liked Michigan...but he always thought they did stuff with coaches on “ the cheap “...Johnny got his payday in Ames.

Wonder if him and Schembechler were buddies.

Texas hasnt been a major player in years to say they get what they want is just ludicrous.

They got their own damn network and they do not share revenue equally, so come again??????????????? They can sneeze and pick up 5 and 4 star recruits in their back yard.

I think I played golf with him 3 times. Never saw him close to “ shit faced” but he would have a drink. I imagine I had coffee with him at Dahl’s over 100 times...

Sounds like a good time. Johnny was a character.

One of my favorite lines of his (don't recall what player he was referring to) "He's got the longest arms I've ever seen on a white kid".

My buddy had a couple of stories of Johnny in the clubhouse, one in particular would have been disastrous if the media had gotten ahold of it. So drunk he literally fell over the table of some people who were eating as he was trying to glad hand some boosters. (sounds like a scene out of Caddyshack). He was whisked away and things were quickly cleaned up and paid for.

Last edited:

One of my favorite lines of his (don't recall what player he was referring to) "He's got the longest arms I've ever seen on a white kid".

My buddy had a couple of stories of Johnny in the clubhouse, one in particular would have been disastrous if the media had gotten ahold of it. So drunk he literally fell over the table of some people who were eating as he was trying to glad hand some boosters. (sounds like a scene out of Caddyshack). He was whisked away and things were quickly cleaned up and paid for.

I know Johnny’s daughter. Lives in Ankeny. Great lady and cool AF, but wow does she have the mouth of a sailor.

David Moss. Center from Illinois, played on the 1986 Sweet Sixteen team with Hornacek and Grayer. May have saved Johnny's career by physically restraining him when he went after referee Woody Mayfield at the end of the Big Eight tournament title game that year. Cyclones were behind by two, Sam Hill drove the lane, Danny Manning grabbed his arm, official on the play called the foul, Mayfield was on the other end of the court and called traveling on Sam. It was such a horrible call that Manning mentioned it to a Sports Illustrated reporter. Johnny was seriously going after Mayfield when Moss wrapped him up.

I never saw Johnny shit-faced, but it wouldn't shock me if the story is true.

David Moss. Center from Illinois, played on the 1986 Sweet Sixteen team with Hornacek and Grayer. May have saved Johnny's career by physically restraining him when he went after referee Woody Mayfield at the end of the Big Eight tournament title game that year. Cyclones were behind by two, Sam Hill drove the lane, Danny Manning grabbed his arm, official on the play called the foul, Mayfield was on the other end of the court and called traveling on Sam. It was such a horrible call that Manning mentioned it to a Sports Illustrated reporter. Johnny was seriously going after Mayfield when Moss wrapped him up.

I never saw Johnny shit-faced, but it wouldn't shock me if the story is true.

Good memory. Sounds like your Jim Bain moment.

Closer than what you think, hawkfever.....lots of delusion amongst the Longhorn fan base.

Texas > Nebraska (the state)
Texas > Nebraska (the University)
Austin >>> Lincoln + Omaha put together
Texas football $$ > Nebraska football $$
Texas recruiting base > Nebraska recruiting base.
Texas is 10 years removed from the NC > Nebraska 24

Texas' worst years were the Charlie Strong experiment...a disaster from which they're recovering despite not being in the NC discussion yet.

Nebraska looks to be in a free fall now.

I'll take Texas.

Reactions: anon_8rcdnbko1jbe0
Texas > Nebraska (the state)
Texas > Nebraska (the University)
Austin >>> Lincoln + Omaha put together
Texas football $$ > Nebraska football $$
Texas recruiting base > Nebraska recruiting base.
Texas is 10 years removed from the NC > Nebraska 24

Texas' worst years were the Charlie Strong experiment...a disaster from which they're recovering despite not being in the NC discussion yet.

Nebraska looks to be in a free fall now.

I'll take Texas.
UTexas has had more than its share of moments the last 20 years..,not where Nebby is now, but those Austin folks honestly believe their shit has no odor...just like my friends from Lincoln. UTexas feels every bit as entitled as Nebby fan.

Reactions: HawkIDrummer
Good memory. Sounds like your Jim Bain moment.
Johnny and Woody flat-out hated each other. A lot of officials hated Johnny. Not without reason.

I just realized I'm talking about Johnny Orr on a Hawkeye football message board. I apologize for my part in this.

Johnny and Woody flat-out hated each other. A lot of officials hated Johnny. Not without reason.

I just realized I'm talking about Johnny Orr on a Hawkeye football message board. I apologize for my part in this.

Meh, we steered it that way. You're one of the more reasonable clones that shows up here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT