ADVERTISEMENT

Harbaugh to Bears - Matt Campbell to Michigan

All of those points are true right now! We're comparing Michigan to Iowa friggin' State!
No, I'm not comparing Michigan to Iowa State - Michigan has the far better name. My point is that some are saying that he'd be crazy to turn down Michigan and I'm saying Michigan no longer has the lure that it had a couple of decades ago - and it doesn't for sure. Campbell is eventually leaving Iowa State for a bigtime program as he's turned down a few schools recently including FSU. His name pops up in almost every coaching search.

Reactions: hawkdave007
He's from Massillon OH and it's well known that he loves OSU - like many Ohio natives. But unless Day bolts for the NFL, he has no chance. Plus, I don't think Michigan has the glitter around its program like it did 20 years ago. They haven't won a B1G title since 2004 - that's right, 2004. Keep an eye on Texas making a play for Campbell after Urban turns them down

The only issue with Texas is they play in the same conference as ISU. I see Campbell truly appreciating his time at ISU and will leave to a school that won't be playing head to head with ISU. I think his ties to Ohio can actually be attractive to Michigan. Historically when Michigan is good they often have good players from Ohio. I personally hope he waits it out and goes to Tennessee or FSU when they open up in a year or two.

Hayden was also in his early fifties and had seen a hell of a lot more during his career than Campbell has at 41. Successful people are usually ultra competitive. Campbell knows damned well he will never win a natty at ISU. He hasn't even managed to out-recruit Iowa, let alone beat them in five years in L'Ames. He will settle back into 6-7 wins per year if he stays at ISU because he will never be able to bring in high-end talent there and NO ONE is winning a natty without great players.
OSU (2) and OU (1) are the only teams outside the south that have won NC in the past 20 years. It’s not gonna happen at Michigan. If all Campbell wants is a NC, he will need to move south.

I always got the impression (largely from Hayden's autobiography) that the 1979 had pretty decent talent. So it sounds to me like Cummings could recruit, just could not coach worth a damn
That wasn't totally true. If Bob was given the resources that Hayden demanded when he took the job I think things would have been different

Hayden was also in his early fifties and had seen a hell of a lot more during his career than Campbell has at 41. Successful people are usually ultra competitive. Campbell knows damned well he will never win a natty at ISU. He hasn't even managed to out-recruit Iowa, let alone beat them in five years in L'Ames. He will settle back into 6-7 wins per year if he stays at ISU because he will never be able to bring in high-end talent there and NO ONE is winning a natty without great players.

He will do well in the Big 12 if those teams continue to play bad defense. I can't believe Oklahoma and Texas are so lacking in physicality.

Bob Comings wasn’t that bad. Hayden always gave credit to Comings for having talent on the roster when Hayden got there. Hayden just moved them to different positions.

Yeah, Commings definitely recruited some talent. His teams were hurting for depth, which was pretty common in the 100+ scholarship era, complete with teams giving under-the-table schollies to keep good recruits from going to opponents.

I was thinking of starting a thread “Kirk Ferentz To ________”, but I won’t. Your comments about Matt Campbell being stupid to reject an offer to coach at Michigan, Texas, or wherever are ridiculous. I think he understands, like Hayden and Kirk did, that the bigger name programs also have a lot more pressure.
Matt Campbell is building a winning culture at Iowa State and his program has a family feel to it. He’s comfortable here and has great support from the school, athletic department, and fans. That is something that Earle Bruce did not have.

If Michigan offers and MC stays at ISU he is dumber than a box of rocks and I'd question why he is staying, to milk ISU for all he can? Because ISU is loyal and will offer him stability? Ask Danny Mac how ISU rewards loyalty.

Dan McCarney was an important coach in Iowa State’s history, but he rarely won a big game. Matt Campbell has far exceeded anything Coach Mac ever accomplished.

I always got the impression (largely from Hayden's autobiography) that the 1979 had pretty decent talent. So it sounds to me like Cummings could recruit, just could not coach worth a damn

I don't think there was a lot of offensive talent of the team when Hayden took over, but certainly Hayden knew how to use it better. The defense was quickly built up and key to the team. Getting Andre Tippet had a big effect on the defense.

Offensively, 1st year had Phil Seuss at QB who didn't have a lot of arm strength but at least he could hit an out route. Jeff Brown at RB who was pedestrian. My Brother and I had season tickets in Hayden's 1st year. There was a of excitement and football was better. Cummings was too old modeling his team after Woody Hayes to ever be much of an offensive coach.

I was thinking of starting a thread “Kirk Ferentz To ________”, but I won’t. Your comments about Matt Campbell being stupid to reject an offer to coach at Michigan, Texas, or wherever are ridiculous. I think he understands, like Hayden and Kirk did, that the bigger name programs also have a lot more pressure.
Matt Campbell is building a winning culture at Iowa State and his program has a family feel to it. He’s comfortable here and has great support from the school, athletic department, and fans. That is something that Earle Bruce did not have.

you are drinking too much kool-aid. KF had Hayden's tradition to follow and a lot more money in the athletic system to provide him with Top coin as head coach.

ISU is always going to be money challenged and weakest link in Big12.

I suspect Campbell is going to take the money and easier path and move on to a blue blood.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
MC may not leave ISU but he should if Michigan opens up. Day isn't leaving OSU anyone soon IMO, and that job, by many accounts, is his dream job.
Would you want to take a job where you will be judged on 1 game per year? There is one job that he wants, and it is not in Michigan or Ohio. And the job is not open.

OSU (2) and OU (1) are the only teams outside the south that have won NC in the past 20 years. It’s not gonna happen at Michigan. If all Campbell wants is a NC, he will need to move south.

tOSU has been in the hunt almost every year this century. Michigan could do the same thing...not necessarily under Campbell...but they could.

Michigan currently getting beat by the winless PSU team. If Michigan loses their remaining games, I would imagine these 2 coaching changes would generate plenty of smoke in the rumor mill chimney....
I believe Matt will stay at ISU for life

I don't know what Campbell wants or what he would do. Not going to worry about it. He's taking a $1 million pay cut this year because of the virus. On the other hand, there's a major construction process in full swing and he has a very, very young team this season. He's in a good place.

The coach that michigan should go after is cinnicati's coach. Much better choice than campbell. Campbell isnt a blue blood coach. His players are known for doing dumb things on the field that cost you games. Now i think about it, Michigan need Campbell

The coach that michigan should go after is cinnicati's coach. Much better choice than campbell. Campbell isnt a blue blood coach. His players are known for doing dumb things on the field that cost you games. Now i think about it, Michigan need Campbell
Luke Fickell is a Columbus native who went to Desales HS in the north end. He played and coached at OSU. He has Scarlet and Gray running through his veins which is not good for Michigan trying to get him. Plus, he'll have some bigtime offers in the next year or two.......maybe OSU if Day bolts back to the NFL

I can’t see Iowa State keeping Campbell for very long given their salary pool and revenue/debt situation. Michigan or Texas could afford to take that whole staff and quadruple their salaries and still have room to spare in their budgets. They will offer recruiting resources at the top of the profession. Their expectations are down where they should be in terms of the success they expect a new coach to have.

ISU is a great situation for an up and coming coach, not for keeping a guy for 20 years and building a program. Eventually they will hit a dry spell trying to recruit defensive lineman or a quarterback and that will probably result in a few 2-4 win seasons. When that happens, he’ll be stuck there. Harbaugh or Herman will still have a career after their current jobs end. Its a no brainer choice.

Oklahoma is right next to Arkansas and the people I know from there definitely consider themselves southern

Why would Campbell want to leave ISU for Michigan? He can win 7 to 10 games in Ames and they will consider him a Cyclone God, but if he goes to Michigan, 10 wins aren't enough if he can't beat tOSU. Take the easy money Matt, stay at ISU. LOL

In nineteen recruiting classes going back to 2002, under four head coaches and through success and disappointment, Michigan's average recruiting ranking is 14th nationally. This includes 9 top-10 classes. They're currently ranked 8th with their 2021 class. My point? The program largely sells itself to elite level players. Why would Matt Campbell remain at Iowa State where elite recruiting classes are never going to happen?

Luke Fickell is a Columbus native who went to Desales HS in the north end. He played and coached at OSU. He has Scarlet and Gray running through his veins which is not good for Michigan trying to get him. Plus, he'll have some bigtime offers in the next year or two.......maybe OSU if Day bolts back to the NFL
Fickell’s former AD at Cincinnati, Mike Bohn is now at usc. I wonder if they will need a new coach if USC underwhelms this season. …. Hmmmmmmm.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
I am not believing if Campbell wins 7 games a year that ISU would keep him around forever. Would be similar to us winning the conference a few times with KF but when at 7 win year comes then the natives get restless. I am not sure Pollard is as forgiving as Barta. I also think that a lot of the former coaches in Ames got sick of Pollard, curious if MC has got his fill yet.

From a family standpoint it looks kids are middle school to HS? Always a factor on if moving and if mama likes it here or doesn't (Lute Olsen anyone?) Huge spotlight at Michigan tho.

No, I'm not comparing Michigan to Iowa State - Michigan has the far better name. My point is that some are saying that he'd be crazy to turn down Michigan and I'm saying Michigan no longer has the lure that it had a couple of decades ago - and it doesn't for sure. Campbell is eventually leaving Iowa State for a bigtime program as he's turned down a few schools recently including FSU. His name pops up in almost every coaching search.
He turned down 7M per year at Tennessee. He has had at least 6 NFL gigs try to get him. There is a big name program he would consider in College football, and it is not Michigan or Ohio State or Nebraska or Texas.

He turned down 7M per year at Tennessee. He has had at least 6 NFL gigs try to get him. There is a big name program he would consider in College football, and it is not Michigan or Ohio State or Nebraska or Texas.

I know it's home town spin but the story from Knoxville is

"The hurdle for teams trying to pry Campbell away from Iowa State is his buyout, which exceeds $9 million. That buyout caused UT officials to back away from Campbell, Schlabach reported. "

I can’t see Iowa State keeping Campbell for very long given their salary pool and revenue/debt situation. Michigan or Texas could afford to take that whole staff and quadruple their salaries and still have room to spare in their budgets. They will offer recruiting resources at the top of the profession. Their expectations are down where they should be in terms of the success they expect a new coach to have.

ISU is a great situation for an up and coming coach, not for keeping a guy for 20 years and building a program. Eventually they will hit a dry spell trying to recruit defensive lineman or a quarterback and that will probably result in a few 2-4 win seasons. When that happens, he’ll be stuck there. Harbaugh or Herman will still have a career after their current jobs end. Its a no brainer choice.

Lolol on the salary pool and revenue/debt situation. You might be confusing this with the 75 million dollar loan Barta had to take to get Iowa through this year.

Campbell has shown he likes the process of building a program from the ground up, which is where we were at when he took over. You underestimate what Pollard has done at ISU. If ISU can come up with 90 mill for a sports performance center, we can keep Campbell happy. He’s turned down countless good P5 and NFL offers. He’s built different.

I do think he could dominate the Big 10 with how much it sucks this year.

I know it's home town spin but the story from Knoxville is

"The hurdle for teams trying to pry Campbell away from Iowa State is his buyout, which exceeds $9 million. That buyout caused UT officials to back away from Campbell, Schlabach reported. "

Bullshit. The teams that have gone after him can afford his buyout.

Lolol on the salary pool and revenue/debt situation. You might be confusing this with the 75 million dollar loan Barta had to take to get Iowa through this year.

Campbell has shown he likes the process of building a program from the ground up, which is where we were at when he took over. You underestimate what Pollard has done at ISU. If ISU can come up with 90 mill for a sports performance center, we can keep Campbell happy. He’s turned down countless good P5 and NFL offers. He’s built different.

I do think he could dominate the Big 10 with how much it sucks this year.
Big Ten > Sun Belt > Big 12

Take it up with Schlabach, I shared the link for you.

“They just could not figure out a way to get around his $9.4 million buyout,” Schlabach reported.

That’s a pretty easy spin on Campbell telling them no. I’m sure the NFL teams going after him couldn’t afford the buyout either.

tenor.gif

Take it up with Schlabach, I shared the link for you.

“They just could not figure out a way to get around his $9.4 million buyout,” Schlabach reported.

That’s more of a statement on Tennessee’s boosters being a dysfunctional mess as witnessed by the Schiano fiasco where they tried to hire iirc 4 coaches that said no......including a guy preferring to stay at Purdue

I think there is a big difference when considering Harbaugh's next coaching job and Campbell's. Cambell will resign from ISU to climb the ladder. Harbaugh will be fired. When? I don't know, but depending on the number of years left on his contract and what the buyout/settlement payment is, might delay Michigan from cutting him loose quickly. With covid revenue is down. Hard to pay Harbaugh what you're obligated to pay him, and then pay your new head coach big bucks...

ADVERTISEMENT